Minimum Ground Clearance?

• HTML tutorial

Jet_Pack_Jesus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bremerton, WA
Member #

hey i saw this post. i know its a bit old but i saw the bald mountain overland bound on youtube. i want to get to the tower he when to is there away you could give me a google map link to the trail? is it a day trip or a two day trip on the trail?

Reactions: CountryRunner

CountryRunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northwest, Boise, Idaho 83714, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Petrocelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6WCQ
I purchased the 2017 TRD Off road with KDSS. and I have NO lift yet just stock. So far I've added the Gobi Stealth rack, Tepui RTT , BFG 275/70/17 KO2 AT tires and 4x Innovations bolt on rock sliders. I'm going to Bald Mountain this weekend and trying the moderate run bald mountain loop. Wish me luck.20181001_141857.jpg

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
If you're doing the kind of technical stuff that makes you worry about ground clearance, the Pro isn't going to go anywhere that the TRD Offroad won't. The PRO will really only be an advantage if you're trying to fly down roads at high speed.

I would buy the regular OR, and put some of the money saved from not buying the Pro into a good set of tires, as both models come with mediocre tires for offroad use. Most of the stuff on the PRO ends up being discarded if the vehicle gets modified, anyway.

Also, keep in mind that the minimum ground clearance number is just that, the MINIMUM. It's going to be measured from the lowest point of the vehicle, which more often than not is the rear differential. So you may only have 9.5" or whatever at that one point, but you could have 15" everywhere else.

On the trail, you just need to know whereabouts your rear diff is, and learn to maneuver around obstacles so that they pass under the axle tube on either side, not the diff itself. Unless you're doing gnarly rock crawling, that number isn't super important. Approach and departure angles are more important, IMO, and a 4R has pretty good numbers on both of those.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Good points. Breakover or rampover angle is pretty important too, to avoid getting high centered on obstacles.

Found this:
images(3).jpg
Doesn't show the breakover angle, unfortunately, but gives your approach, departure and minimum ground clearance.

Last edited:

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Good thread!

All that said, I drove up to my usual backwoods hangout spot today and somebody had driven a loaded-down FWD Hyundai sedan out there. I am sure it was bouncing and scraping the whole time, but the bumpers appeared intact haha.

CountryRunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northwest, Boise, Idaho 83714, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Petrocelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6WCQ
You should have sliders though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app
I just completed the bald mountain moderate loop in my stock TRD 4 runner with no lift I have upgraded my tires to to 275/70/17 tires I added 4xinnovations rock sliders I had added weight on the truck with my Gobi stealth rack and my tepui rooftop tent and the truck ran up to top of bald mountain with no under body damsge whatsoever. as long as you have a good spotter and good tires and rocks sliders the TRD off road can go anywhere.20181006_123740.jpegimagejpeg_0.jpeg20181006_124046.jpeg

Reactions: Lindenwood

troutbum30

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Boise, ID
Member #

I have a 2016 Trail. This past spring I got a deal on a Bilstein TRD Pro suspension setup that I put on my truck. It only gives a one inch lift in front over stock, but is a nice upgrade from stock suspension. I also have sliders and KO2's in stock size. That being said, before the suspension swap and sliders I did the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route as well as numerous other off road adventures with the stock suspension with zero issues. As others have said, good lines and taking your time and these trucks can handle a lot with just some good tires.

Reactions: WrightRunner