Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
nice! i was a submariner at groton, ct and the CG Academy was right across the river from us....we always picked on each other out in town and at bars.
that was back in the 80s and none of the locals liked sailors, so our only friends were each other and the coasties
That's a familiar refrain at any military base or port. Local civilians don't generally seem to care for military personnel. Kind of like the Norfolk sign "Sailors and dogs keep off the grass." It's an odd thing how our society was as opposed to how it is now. Now I always cringe at the obligatory "Thank you for your service" trope. Although, it is better than being spit upon in the 60s and 70s.

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
That's a familiar refrain at any military base or port. Local civilians don't generally seem to care for military personnel. Kind of like the Norfolk sign "Sailors and dogs keep off the grass." It's an odd thing how our society was as opposed to how it is now. Now I always cringe at the obligatory "Thank you for your service" trope. Although, it is better than being spit upon in the 60s and 70s.
OMG, yes....I can't stand hearing that crap. I almost stopped wearing anything that would give away I was military just so I wouldn't have to hear it. That is one thing that certainly needs to fade away, but like you said it is far better than what was happening in the past.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
Response #3 above. Sticker design.....

Make it a limited edition sticker only available to Vets or Active military OB members. Exclusive to them, not to the general OB members. In addition to that, ONLY available with their OB number, no generic sticker. Green member Number in the standard spot below the vehicle. So this will keep it the more upscale...2-3 week turn-around member version. Finally their would have to be a way of verification when ordering this sticker above the' HONOR SYSTEM' method, just saying!.
I’m in!!

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
Here's what I added to my Gladiator - it'll be recognized by some military folk, but it's a puzzler for the general public... it's the unit crest and motto of the Regiment I was in back at Ft Bragg...View attachment 182780
I like that idea. Maybe I can incorporate something like this:
1610153750085.png

Was the BN crest for my National Guard unit back in the 80's and 90's. The unit was formed in 1917, each fleur de lis is representative of the battles the unit fought in WW1. The background is white representing the history as the 103rd infantry that fought as part of the 43rd ID in the Solomons in WW2. After the war it was redesignated the 20th Armored during the Cuban Missile crisis and then the 133rd Engineer BN (CBT)(HVY). The unit served in Iraq after I retired.

Reactions: Alan_Hepburn

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I like the thought but there are many issues with what you are asking.
1. to validate you would need to have someone in each country to validate the Service record or MPRR etc. This information is quite sensitive and there are many "Walter Mitties" that buy and sell this information so they can wear medals on remembrance day.
2. Limited printing of a sticker is difficult unless they were sold to the buyer in stacks of 100. A cloth badge you could do it and may be an idea

I would say validate with the veterans card or service card but again its sensitive data and you now have to worry about Cyber Laws in many countries

Your idea is great and I have tried this with Veterans on a military site and we couldn't even get it flowing.
I would prefer a more “martial version” of the Medallion. So we can have our number on it? Which means we pay for it. Decals. I have more than enough
If.

BullNV

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Dayton, NV, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I have the “Veteran” rocker for the patch. I’m prior military, and current Law Enforcement, and I do not put anything on my vehicle to attract unwanted attention.

Waaazooo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

So where do I sign up? How do I get one? I would still prefer a sticker for the truck. I think this would would void the shell warranty on my jacket.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I disagree with the concept of a "Overland Bound Military" sticker or patch because I think it runs counter to our group's purpose. However, being a VN combat veteran I have no objection to vehicles with your military background or service. I have some on my own truck. Let's keep the basic core principles of Overland Bound pure without muddying the message. There are literally thousands of military service stickers available on the market. Buy some of those so we can show you respect for your patriotic service, brave experience under fire and the sacrifices some have made. OK, that's my two cents.

BullNV

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Dayton, NV, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I disagree with the concept of a "Overland Bound Military" sticker or patch because I think it runs counter to our group's purpose. However, being a VN combat veteran I have no objection to vehicles with your military background or service. I have some on my own truck. Let's keep the basic core principles of Overland Bound pure without muddying the message. There are literally thousands of military service stickers available on the market. Buy some of those so we can show you respect for your patriotic service, brave experience under fire and the sacrifices some have made. OK, that's my two cents.
I whole heartedly agree!

Reactions: Angel Rivera

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Deleted several post about politics and ZERO to do with the subject, next I will disable accounts if the posts "Pop up" anyplace else! Does not matter that I agree it is NOT what we do here.
Thank you for understanding.....

Jim

PS I am all for a Military Type OB Decal......

Reactions: Mustang03

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I thought about this yesterday. How about a veteran rocker (underneath, but not afixed to the medallion) then OB is not responsible for vetting the medallion? I’ve ordered a few of these to specify affiliation. To be placed on the other side of the vehicle.

Attachments

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Deleted several post about politics and ZERO to do with the subject, next I will disable accounts if the posts "Pop up" anyplace else! Does not matter that I agree it is NOT what we do here.
Thank you for understanding.....

Jim

PS I am all for a Military Type OB Decal......
I agree completely with banning political posts. I was surprised to see them.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I agree completely with banning political posts. I was surprised to see them.
ha! couldn't have been THAT surprised...you were right in there hammering away on your keyboard replying to them.

Reactions: Tripin75