Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

I like the idea. I have a nephew serving in Afghanistan at the moment who is a budding overlander. I am mailing one of my ambassador coins to his stateside address this week and probably sending him a gift membership.
I suggest making the sticker available to all. You could do something cool with the money like donate it to an injured veterans fund and alleviate the proof of service challenges.
Having served and still serving by supporting the VA I like the idea of supporting our troops. Another option would be to donate OB memberships to veterans (Not sure how that would be advertised) to help the community grow. Not sure the forum would generate enough revenue from the badge to make a sizable donation. The forum could also save the funds for map / app upgrades and advertise the update as "paid for by those who served or contributed to purchasing military badges".

Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks.

Deemer

Rank I

Traveler I

Heath, Texas, United States
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Deemer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9ESQ
Service Branch
U.S. Navy
@lilbear105 what about us non US vets though how do we validate ?
As a US veteran, I do not know. However, I would assume you’d know how it could be validated.

The DD-214 with personal information redacted is simply our discharge paperwork showing service and character of discharge (i.e. “Honorable”)

Reactions: rgallant

Deemer

Rank I

Traveler I

First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Deemer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9ESQ
Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Wondering what the additional cost would be to add some kind of Military designation on the OB badge? I would be interested in getting new badges if the option was available. Maybe just use USAF on all of them to cut the cost. lol Would be cool to have "Military Member" or "Veteran" printed like the member number (Or even cooler stamped) on the smooth spot vehicle. See example below"

View attachment 172525
I was thinking just the rocker we could place under the badge so people don’t need to get new OB # badges.

Last edited:

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I don't really agree that our org should create one. After all, the internet is overflowing with purveyors of military decals/stickers for every branch of service, sub branch and operating groups. I would suggest that perhaps an Army sticker supplemented by an operating group sticker would be sufficient. If we're not careful, we'll have so many stickers we won't be able to see out the windows or find an open patch of original vehicle paint. :smile: However, whatever floats your boat is what you should have.

Reactions: mrseth

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

The biggest reason i don't show off any military decals is because they're basically a big neon flashing sign that there are guns or gear inside the vehicle. Since my overlander is my daily driver and I live in an area with a lot of drug related crime i am hesitant to put anything like that up.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Inherently, whether intentional or not, a business or public entity showing any sort of military alignment/support can be politicized, for better or worse.

I would prefer my Overland Bound experience be as politically agnostic as possible.

Ultimately, it has no effect on me because I did not serve and would not buy and display such decal and, the purchasing and displaying by others is their business and that's fine. But, as mentioned previously, there are plenty of alternative places to get these types of decals and stickers. Put one of them right next to your OB sticker and let that be enough.

And, if it's "supporting the site" you're concerned with, purchase a Supporter subscription, upgrade your subscription level, or buy existing merch - there are already plenty of ways to support the site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The biggest reason i don't show off any military decals is because they're basically a big neon flashing sign that there are guns or gear inside the vehicle. Since my overlander is my daily driver and I live in an area with a lot of drug related crime i am hesitant to put anything like that up.
yeah, but that really depends on the branch youre talking about. army and marines, yeah, i could see guns onboard. navy...i'd expect to find beer and cigarettes. air force...maybe some tech, like GPS and a banging sound system. coast guard...well...maybe some loose change in the ashtray and some smut under the passenger seat. either way, probably best not to advertise...

Deemer

Rank I

Traveler I

First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Deemer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9ESQ
Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Inherently, whether intentional or not, a business or public entity showing any sort of military alignment/support can be politicized, for better or worse.

I would prefer my Overland Bound experience be as politically agnostic as possible.

Ultimately, it has no effect on me because I did not serve and would not buy and display such decal and, the purchasing and displaying by others is their business and that's fine. But, as mentioned previously, there are plenty of alternative places to get these types of decals and stickers. Put one of them right next to your OB sticker and let that be enough.

And, if it's "supporting the site" you're concerned with, purchase a Supporter subscription, upgrade your subscription level, or buy existing merch - there are already plenty of ways to support the site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can respect that

BullNV

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Dayton, NV, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I decided to play around a bit with ideas... I tried to get it to say "CULTUS ET EXPLORARE" at the bottom where the Outfit and Explore text was, but I don't have great graphic design skills... This is what I got so far though:
View attachment 71899
Where’s my airplane? LOL.
MSget USAF retired. That’s the tricky part... International and all encompassing.

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

Military decals have no bearing whatsoever if a firearm is on-board. Regardless of the branch. That stereo type could be applied to many other types. Only 3% of the US population has enlisted.
I am proud to have served and those who served beside me. Decal or not, my license plate gives me away.
All of the above are valid points. It’s up to Overland Bound now to give the ya or nah. If ya then we can keep talking. If nah, none of this matters.

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

yeah, but that really depends on the branch youre talking about. army and marines, yeah, i could see guns onboard. navy...i'd expect to find beer and cigarettes. air force...maybe some tech, like GPS and a banging sound system. coast guard...well...maybe some loose change in the ashtray and some smut under the passenger seat. either way, probably best not to advertise...
I laughed so damn hard when i was reading this. Well played sir, well played.

Reactions: grubworm

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

As a 23 year retired Coast Guard Senior Chief, I take personal offense to this.

My smut is in plain sight ON the passengers seat and the dashboard.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
As a 23 year retired Coast Guard Senior Chief, I take personal offense to this.

My smut is in plain sight ON the passengers seat and the dashboard.
nice! i was a submariner at groton, ct and the CG Academy was right across the river from us....we always picked on each other out in town and at bars.
that was back in the 80s and none of the locals liked sailors, so our only friends were each other and the coasties

Reactions: Andy G

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

nice! i was a submariner at groton, ct and the CG Academy was right across the river from us....we always picked on each other out in town and at bars.
that was back in the 80s and none of the locals liked sailors, so our only friends were each other and the coasties
Hope you didn't hang with any of our Cadidiots! :grinning:

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm