First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
Response #3 above. Sticker design.....

Make it a limited edition sticker only available to Vets or Active military OB members. Exclusive to them, not to the general OB members. In addition to that, ONLY available with their OB number, no generic sticker. Green member Number in the standard spot below the vehicle. So this will keep it the more upscale...2-3 week turn-around member version. Finally their would have to be a way of verification when ordering this sticker above the' HONOR SYSTEM' method, just saying!.
I would agree with your verification, however, that would but a burden on whoever had to verify. How could you verify?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I would agree with your verification, however, that would but a burden on whoever had to verify. How could you verify?
there are ways to tell....
if a guy says he's ex navy, he can show a video of him tying a bowline knot
if he's an ex-marine, he can show a video of him driving a nail into a 2x4 with his forehead
army...video of taking down and reassembling a .45 while blindfolded
air force...video of hands verifying they are soft and smooth with no dirt or callouses
pretty easy... :grin:

Last edited:

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
if he's an ex-marine, he can show a video of him driving a nail into a 2x4 with his forehead
air force...video of hands verifying they are soft and smooth with no dirt or callouses
Sure glad I’m Coast Guard............not.......retired Army here.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Ever met an Ex Marine???? Im still a Devil Dog, a little soggy around the midsection but a jarhead never the less. Hold my beer and give me that nail brother. Semper Fi.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Ever met an Ex Marine????
they weren't "ex" at the time, but being in the navy i had a few marine buddies. i know any time the navy had something really important to protect, they had the marines do it. i'd go to a marine base and the gate guards were trim and sharp looking, go the navy base and the gate guards had guts sticking out and uniform all out of whack...so all a sailor could do is make fun of marines...from a safe distance of course! :grin:

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

i'd go to a marine base and the gate guards were trim and sharp looking, go the navy base and the gate guards had guts sticking out and uniform all out of whack...so all a sailor could do is make fun of marines...from a safe distance of course! :grin:
Hahaha - the same here in Australia, just replace Marine with Army (we don't have a Marine Corps) and it's the same :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Our Airforce are just civies in uniform :grin::grin::grin: (shots fired :tonguewink::tonguewink:)

Karl (ex Australian Army)

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
In the UK we're not issued anything to signify that we are ex-servicemen. here it's just a case of "close the door on the way out".
Prior service Marine here. Spent all my time in the Air Wing though, spinning wrenches on CH53s, C130s, and V22s.

Unless you retire or are medically discharged we don't really get anything "issued" that shows we are veterans. Most states have a system in place now where you can show your DD214 (discharge paperwork) to the local driver's license office and get "VETERAN" printed on your driver's license.

Many folks take it way overboard I've been around far too many "Vetflakes" that feel that every place and everyone owes them something, others leveraging their veteran status as a way to get people to rally behind them when they feel like they've been wronged. I've seen people close to me feel like they got wronged by someone or a company and throw out they're a disabled veteran like it somehow has a bearing on the situation at hand when it doesn't.

We did a job, some gave more than others, but in the end we volunteered to be in that position. I'm proud of my service in the Marine Corps but, no one owes me anything.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'm proud of my service in the Marine Corps but, no one owes me anything.
yeah, exactly. i've been out of the navy almost 30 yrs now and i've never even thought to use the veteran discount offered at lowes and stuff. i only did 6 yrs on submarines so i really don't even consider myself a "vet" since i didn't make a career out of it. I think people who retired and made a career out of the military would deserve discounts as appreciation for their time, but with only 6 yrs in, i feel like i was just passing thru!

besides, i got out an was a commercial diver and made in one month what i made in one year in the navy...if anything, its the active duty enlisted folk who could really use some benefits. it was bad when i was in, i remember i had to drink schaffer beer the whole time i was in the navy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
. it was bad when i was in, i remember i had to drink schaffer beer the whole time i was in the navy.
Oh the humanity!!!! I may have bought a bottle or two of "military special" whiskey [emoji1787]

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Medically discharged US Army 1972. Most friends and co workers never knew I was in the military. Just this year, at 65 I got a "Veteran" plate for my new retirement truck,
the only way I have ever displayed I was even in the service. I don't use it as a credit card or as a crutch. You go, you do, you move on.

Darn, we'll now you all know!

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Prior service Marine here. Spent all my time in the Air Wing though, spinning wrenches on CH53s, C130s, and V22s.

Unless you retire or are medically discharged we don't really get anything "issued" that shows we are veterans. Most states have a system in place now where you can show your DD214 (discharge paperwork) to the local driver's license office and get "VETERAN" printed on your driver's license.

Many folks take it way overboard I've been around far too many "Vetflakes" that feel that every place and everyone owes them something, others leveraging their veteran status as a way to get people to rally behind them when they feel like they've been wronged. I've seen people close to me feel like they got wronged by someone or a company and throw out they're a disabled veteran like it somehow has a bearing on the situation at hand when it doesn't.

We did a job, some gave more than others, but in the end we volunteered to be in that position. I'm proud of my service in the Marine Corps but, no one owes me anything.
Here in Australia it is pretty much the same (not that I expect anything anyway).

However, the worst part is when you get out with injuries that are a result of your service you have to battle our Dept of Veteran Affairs to recognition for that injury (or injuries) and that is a battle I am going through now. They make it so hard and you have to jump through so many hoops and visit to Doctors, often they will challenge what your own Dr has said and make you go to one of theirs.

I have fought with them a number of times and am back battling them again as I have had a double knee replacement and injured back as a result of my service. I don't want much - just have the injuries recognised and covered.

Anyway, I don't let it get me down instead I go 4WDing, camping and do my photography.

The worst bit is that I have lost seven mates to suicide because they couldn't handle it - may they rest in peace :cry: :cry: :cry:

Karl

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
[MQUOTE="Downs, post: 390829, member: 41347"]

[/QUOTE]
Most of us volunteered. My dad however did not evn though he served 6 years as a 13E in the Us Army. He was in Nam facing charlie every day for six months calling for fire. he goes somewhere and almost demands vetran services. I served 15 years and did 25 months in the stan, 6 moths in Saudi, 3 moths in Egypt, and 18 months in Korea. I very rarely ask for "special" vet treatment even though im 80% service connected. I feel like you do Downs, I volonteered and I knew when I signed that blank check what that check was worth. so when all is said and done, I knew the risk and I live with the hell I went through.
When I got back from my last tour, there was a big parade, lots of ceremonies, and crowds gathered any time more than two of us were in uniform. The country didnt recieve my dad's generation home from war as well.... And I feel he has every right to demand his discounts and privileges to repay the 30 years he lost for the 6 years he served and the 6 months he spent in combat.

As for the Vet Sticker.... cool idea.... but like a few others, an actual badge with our member id on it would be better. and as mentioned for here in the us certifying that we served and got out honorably is very easy.
To those of you in other countries, do you have scocial media sights that you can get in toucch with ex-brother and sister in arms? We have a rescorce here called "together we served". To be a member of this community they verify your service records with name rank and serial number.

To all vets that got out of the us armed forces before 9-11, you might want to get in touch with your local VSRO. There are a lot of programs out there to help you get a vet status even if you didnt retire or get a med discharge. This also goes for post 9-11 vets, but we are in a different group.

With Vetrans Day coming a round the corner, Happy Vetran's Day brothers and sisters both american and over seas.

Reactions: Downs

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Here in Australia it is pretty much the same (not that I expect anything anyway).

However, the worst part is when you get out with injuries that are a result of your service you have to battle our Dept of Veteran Affairs to recognition for that injury (or injuries) and that is a battle I am going through now. They make it so hard and you have to jump through so many hoops and visit to Doctors, often they will challenge what your own Dr has said and make you go to one of theirs.

I have fought with them a number of times and am back battling them again as I have had a double knee replacement and injured back as a result of my service. I don't want much - just have the injuries recognised and covered.

Anyway, I don't let it get me down instead I go 4WDing, camping and do my photography.

The worst bit is that I have lost seven mates to suicide because they couldn't handle it - may they rest in peace :cry: :cry: :cry:

Karl
Karl, I feel your pain. I had to fight the system to get my ratings I deserved as well. Don't give up, and youre right, you deserve your compensation for your injuries. Its sad that when we get back we have to go through a worse battle with the systems that are put in place to help us than the battles we fought on foreign soil.
I served with some Australians during my time in Afghanistan, and you guys made deployment almost enjoyable.

Reactions: Nomad164 and Downs

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Karl, I feel your pain. I had to fight the system to get my ratings I deserved as well. Don't give up, and youre right, you deserve your compensation for your injuries. Its sad that when we get back we have to go through a worse battle with the systems that are put in place to help us than the battles we fought on foreign soil.
I served with some Australians during my time in Afghanistan, and you guys made deployment almost enjoyable.
I won't give up as I am either stubborn or a sucker for punishment - I will fight it through and just keep at them so in the end they will be sick and tired on me and just give in :grin: :grin:

But its sad that no matter what country your are from that we all have the same issues :frowning::frowning:

Karl

Reactions: Downs and Motoboss

Drengr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Griz
Last Name
Grzywa
Member #

If you want an American Veteran ID, you just need to go to a VA hospital. You do not need to be disabled to get one. They snap your picture and mail it to you. I would assume that someone wanting an OB military badge, would also be someone who drives with military plates. I saved $1200 in fees by getting purple heart plates on my new Jeep, showing my DD214. Not to mention how many times I didn't get pulled over.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

yeah, exactly. i've been out of the navy almost 30 yrs now and i've never even thought to use the veteran discount offered at lowes and stuff. i only did 6 yrs on submarines so i really don't even consider myself a "vet" since i didn't make a career out of it. I think people who retired and made a career out of the military would deserve discounts as appreciation for their time, but with only 6 yrs in, i feel like i was just passing thru!

besides, i got out an was a commercial diver and made in one month what i made in one year in the navy...if anything, its the active duty enlisted folk who could really use some benefits. it was bad when i was in, i remember i had to drink schaffer beer the whole time i was in the navy.
We don't have to worry here in the UK when thinking about Service discounts as there aren't any.

Mrcodes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California 92807, United States
First Name
Cody
Last Name
H
Member #

Not sure if someone mentioned this already but there are websites like ID.me and govx.com that do verifications for military/first responders. OB would have to embed a link during checkout/ordering in order to verify before purchase. That would be the easiest way to verify instead of having to show/send verification to an individual person. Only problem is that I do not know if it works for international or old school vets that may not have electronic records. Something to look into.