Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Who knows how we can make a Mid Europe OLB badge design?
As the middle of Europe has a diversety of landscapes, points of interests and countries, I think it will be hard to make a badge with some landscape on it.
Even as Iam not very much into Politics I just have no other idea of making a representing badge as using the European Flag

So, as I am completely out of other ideas, just let me know what you think should be the image on the badge.
Think a week or two should be enough to find the right one and have a decision about it.

Then we can send it to Michael and let it be made.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: GEO_Fabi.Mhlr

vanlife4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hamburg, Germany
Member #

How about a map of europe painted in the same style as the US regional badges?
Maybe with the stars of the EU flag within, otherwise this could be too political, e.g. Norway, Switzerland and UK in future are not part of the EU.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I would suggest leaving the stars out - they represent political and economic union boundaries, not physical.
Map of Europe would look good, but where do the boundaries of the OLB regions, mid, South and East lay?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peejay7 and MazeVX

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I'm going through this same process with the UK region one at the mo - it needs to fit with the general theme of the other current US + AUS badges so it would most likely end up being something along the lines of landscapes to best represent the area ect
be interesting how this one comes out :grinning:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

actually the 12 stars stands for different things as political points. It stands for perfection, a closed circle, 12 months in a year, 12 hours on a clock, 12 tribes from israel, 12 constellations.
And in the circle for unity.
So, with this in mind, it is easy to use. It has nothing to do wit any politics. And where lie the borders of Mid Europe?

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

I would define the region first. So which countries does it include? When I think of Mid Europe I think of the Alps. What about a picture of Mont Blanc with a star for each of the countries covered in the region.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

So, mid Europe would be then;
from to to bottom from left to right.
The Netherlands
Germany
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Switzerland
Austria

Skandinavia is Danmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland.
Southern Europe would be Spain, Italy the baltic and Greece.
Eastern Europe would be then Poland, Tcheck republic, Hungary, Slowakia, Rumania, Bulgarie?

The Mont Blanc sounds good, Iam not familiar with mountains. But as long as everyone is ok with that, Iam as well.
Because any landscape is ok with me. And 7 starts is ok with me as well.

So who agrees with the Mid European range or wants to include other countries?

Reactions: MazeVX and nickburt

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Geographically, Europe is a lot bigger than most think it is, including part of Russia. :tongueclosed:
Wikipedia - Europe.

Then there's the political/economic European Union countries (currently 28 member states)....... Wikipedia - European Union. As Robert correctly pointed out, the stars of the flag have nothing to do with a number of countries. But OLB is about Geography, so let's forget this bit :smile:

It's probably going to be quite difficult to draw lines, especially for the boundary between Central and East Europe, without the risk of getting political ...... :fearscream:

Roberts list above is probably as close as can be. I like the idea of a mountain such as Mont Blanc.

Apologies for joining in from the UK :sunglasses:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Nick,
Actually, I wished the UK was part of Europe (still) haha.
And yes, Europe is way bigger. But if not geographicly then for sure devided by culture and history.
Due the cold war there is now an eastern Europe and due the pyrenees and the Alpes there is a southern part of Europe.
Due the fact of sea there is the UK and Scandinavia.
So, why not take the mont Blanc as a geographical silhouette. But, we need to find a way to let people know, it is not only Switzerland, but a bigger part of Europe.
When continents are not devided in countries it is easy, but now, it aint that easy.
Maybe instead of the Stars we have the first letter of the name of the countries?
N, G,B,L ,F,S and A
If the enbrody machine can handle that?
@Michael
is that possible?

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Robert, yes, ha ha ......
No matter what the politicians get up to, I'm British and European, as the UK is a part of the European Continent. :sunglasses: They can do what they like, it won't stop me ........ :smilingimp:
Central and southern Europe are fairly easy to define, as you say, using the Pyranees and Alps as the boundaries.
Central and Eastern a little more difficult to define a line as there is nothing geographically natural.
But I guess, Eastern Europe would be Estonia, Latvia, Belarus, Ukrane, Moldova, Poland, Romania, .......... how much further West ?? Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Bosnia, Kosovo ???
Hmmm ........ does it really matter, can members chose to be a part of more than one area? In which case the boundary doesn't really matter .......:tonguewink:

Hey ho ..... debate ...... :screamcat:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I think yes, as there is except the the iron curtain also a culture difference between the "West" and the Eastern countries.
If you visit them you will really see the difference. A beautiful difference by the way on both sides.

Reactions: nickburt

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Good conversation here!

Overland Bound is not political, and does not align with any specific religious viewpoint. It's hard to define regions without becoming political, and i say, in this regard we take it slow and find what we think makes the best sense for overlanding. Regulations and area? Not sure. I really need to depend on the folks in the area.

In the US, we designated regions based on the United States Fish and Wildlife Department because the areas and regions made the most sense in regard to overlapping. It certainly is not popular with Texans to be lump[ed in with the "South West", and many East Coasters would prefer to have a "North East". IN deviding into regions, you are not going to make everyone happy.

For the patch, pic an iconic geographic element. We will have our artist do the final design so it looks cohesive as a set of patches. Partly, we want the design and aesthetic to to ignore political lines.

IMG_4387_grande.jpg

I hope that helps!

M

Reactions: Laurensvh

vanlife4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hamburg, Germany
Member #

Ok, im my post above I thought it was about a badge for the whole european area. Now I got it's just for mid europe.

Maybe Mont Blanc / Alps in the lower part of the badge representing southern part of mid europe and sea /coast (with sunset/rise?) in the upper part representing BeNeLux/ North Sea /Baltic Sea area?

After Michaels post I'd also say no borders, outlines, flags or country shortcuts

Reactions: Liamoverloop

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I agree, I would love to see no politics. No borders no what so ever. That is my strong believe.
However, instead of Australia, USA, Canada, Russia, and more, we are just small and also still devided by borders even as we can cross them these days almost without noticing it.
So, I think vanlife4x4 (real name) you have a good idea. And Iam right behind you.
Point is, do we all agree to such a scenery that will represent all in Mid Europe but doesnt reflect your country specificly.
I cant care less. So my vote goes to the proposal of vanlife4x4 of the combination of the Alps and the sealine in the north.
Just let someone take care of the image, I am terrible with photoshop pictures and drawings.
Please vote. And maybe we can order before christmas. :grin:

my vote is a yes to this.

What do you think @Michael