Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Hey all, we're planning an overlanding trip into the interior of Mexico from early January to mid-March 2019.

We're planning to cross the border in Texas and head towards the city of San Luis Potosi, then on into the city of Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.

Any tips for camping spots, or travel in Mexico are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Yes but I would have to show you how to get there. Just kidding have a great time. We're thinking of doing Baja during that time as well.

BenditoMonte

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nogales, Sonora
Member #

Hi there

fellow mexican here, first I'll make something clear, I've never been to southern mexico but a few suggestions. Around San Luis Potosi there's a place called "La huasteca Potosina" it is beautiful according to some friends, check that area, and around puebla and MExico City there is the "nevado de toluca" an inactive volcano. all the area between San Luis Potosi and MExico City will be a very nice forest, enjoy Mexico, oh and January-March, be prepared for brutal cold weather, yes it does get s very very cold, below freezing.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Hi there

fellow mexican here, first I'll make something clear, I've never been to southern mexico but a few suggestions. Around San Luis Potosi there's a place called "La huasteca Potosina" it is beautiful according to some friends, check that area, and around puebla and MExico City there is the "nevado de toluca" an inactive volcano. all the area between San Luis Potosi and MExico City will be a very nice forest, enjoy Mexico, oh and January-March, be prepared for brutal cold weather, yes it does get s very very cold, below freezing.
Hola! Gracias por responder!

The only thing I wasn’t anticipating were that cold of temps south of Texas. This might put a wrinkle in things.

BenditoMonte

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nogales, Sonora
Member #

it shouldn't be reason enough to not do it, just bring the appropiate clothing, all the central-south area in Mexico is high in altitud, Mexico City is very high, that is why is very cold but beautiful forests. Someone else mention the Copper Canyon, that is at the border of states of Chihuahua and Sonora, that place is amazing, it is actually deeper and larger than the grand canyon, it means a big detour from your point of entrance to Mexico and it is also very very cold over there, it is on the top of the sierra madre. I am located in Sonora, let me know if I can be any help over here.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

it shouldn't be reason enough to not do it, just bring the appropiate clothing, all the central-south area in Mexico is high in altitud, Mexico City is very high, that is why is very cold but beautiful forests. Someone else mention the Copper Canyon, that is at the border of states of Chihuahua and Sonora, that place is amazing, it is actually deeper and larger than the grand canyon, it means a big detour from your point of entrance to Mexico and it is also very very cold over there, it is on the top of the sierra madre. I am located in Sonora, let me know if I can be any help over here.
Thank you Bendito. Appreciate all of the advice and tips! How far are you from Puebla or San Luis Potosi? Do you ever get up that way?

BenditoMonte

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nogales, Sonora
Member #

Thank you Bendito. Appreciate all of the advice and tips! How far are you from Puebla or San Luis Potosi? Do you ever get up that way?
Oh I am really really far up north, I am right at the border with Arizona, shame on me, I have actually been in more places in the US than Mexico

Dur66

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Afternoon All,
I'm planning on going to Overland Expo West in May. Just made flight reservations. If anyone else is going to be there we can meet and discuss a Mexico trip. I've wanted to see Copper Canyon for years.

Since I'm near the Sacramento area, the plan for now is to go down south, enter Mexico through Mexicali, take the ferry across the Sea of Cortez and make it over to the mainland. I've always wanted to take that ferry. As of now, I'm thinking 3 weeks.
Durwin

Reactions: Hourless Life

BenditoMonte

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nogales, Sonora
Member #

Hi dude

May is a long way from now but I am also planning to go to OverlandExpo, I'll be more than happy to meet and talk about it

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Afternoon All,
I'm planning on going to Overland Expo West in May. Just made flight reservations. If anyone else is going to be there we can meet and discuss a Mexico trip. I've wanted to see Copper Canyon for years.

Since I'm near the Sacramento area, the plan for now is to go down south, enter Mexico through Mexicali, take the ferry across the Sea of Cortez and make it over to the mainland. I've always wanted to take that ferry. As of now, I'm thinking 3 weeks.
Durwin
May is a long way from now. But it is possible we'll be at West after our Mexico trip. If we are, happy to give you any insight we learned.