Menomonie, WI

• HTML tutorial

cjharstad

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello, all. I hail from the upper Midwest, from the small city of Menomonie, WI. Years back, I had an 08 Wrangler that I purchased and outfitted for the Idaho-Montana span of the Rockies while I was in the military (USAF).

Now, that I'm a dad/husband and full time healthcare dude, I'm significantly (more) boring and need to liven up a bit. My daily driver is a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT with the 3.5. It's a total grocery getter, faux soccer mom mobile, and in need of an upgrade or two.

Specifically, I'd like to start with a 2-3" lift and some new wheels and tires, but am having trouble finding a lift set up that will work with my ride. If anyone has resources/input, I'd be greatly appreciative of your assistance (e.g. Where I can look, what to buy, etc.).

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello, all. I hail from the upper Midwest, from the small city of Menomonie, WI. Years back, I had an 08 Wrangler that I purchased and outfitted for the Idaho-Montana span of the Rockies while I was in the military (USAF).

Now, that I'm a dad/husband and full time healthcare dude, I'm significantly (more) boring and need to liven up a bit. My daily driver is a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT with the 3.5. It's a total grocery getter, faux soccer mom mobile, and in need of an upgrade or two.

Specifically, I'd like to start with a 2-3" lift and some new wheels and tires, but am having trouble finding a lift set up that will work with my ride. If anyone has resources/input, I'd be greatly appreciative of your assistance (e.g. Where I can look, what to buy, etc.).
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...look forward to seeing your build and adventures

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Welcome to OB from New Hampshire!

Like you, I have had Jeeps before kids, and now in a family mover. Look forward to hearing about your rig mods, and your adventures!

Cheers!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello cjharstad and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877

This is what I found:
https://www.carid.com/2016-ford-explorer-lift-kits/?filter=1&sub-model[DriveTypeName][]=AWD+(All+Wheel+Drive)

Reactions: MrCoffee

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

The Traxda 102040 is another one, possibly the first one. http://amzn.to/2FYkPGg (disclaimer, that link has affiliate info). I have the Traxda, though I haven't installed it yet. :)

I've read mixed reports about using these. The increased height, even minor, puts more strain on the front end and speculation about faster year and some failures at worst, and noises etc. I've also read of ones that have had no problems at all. I'm still under (extended) warranty on my '13, so I decided to wait a bit.

For tires and wheels I ended up going with a 17" wheel and BFG AT TA KO2 tires. I can't say enough good things about them. I've had them in mud, snow, and ice, and I find them to be a great all around tire. Maintaining correct air pressure (45 psi for these) and rotating on time (5000-7500 miles) and I'm at 40k+ miles with between 7/32 and 9/32 tread left.

Have you taken your '16 offload? I've not done anything extremely technical, but I've been really impressed by the rigidity/strength and capabilities.