Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Hi Michael and Corrie.....we had a bunch of credit card fraud this year and had to change the cards out several times over. I wanted to make sure my membership was still active and that any dues I may owe are paid. Can you tell me if I’m current?

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hi Michael and Corrie.....we had a bunch of credit card fraud this year and had to change the cards out several times over. I wanted to make sure my membership was still active and that any dues I may owe are paid. Can you tell me if I’m current?
Your membership is still active. One time membership fee and no dues. So I think you're good unless you still have any questions. Hope this helps.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi There! Like @Chadlyb said, there are no dues owed. Membership is a one-time purchase. Cheers!

M

Reactions: Chadlyb

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Love it....but really? How can you guys do this without dues? Recurring revenue is the way of the future. You'll renew every member.....as long as you keep the dues equal to perceived value. Business is business and I my input would be....fair renewal fees!! I want this community to be assured of sustainability. Just think of the cool things you could do for various causes OB supports. Sorry for the late reply as I've been off the grid for months. Cheers, Rich

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Love it....but really? How can you guys do this without dues? Recurring revenue is the way of the future. You'll renew every member.....as long as you keep the dues equal to perceived value. Business is business and I my input would be....fair renewal fees!! I want this community to be assured of sustainability. Just think of the cool things you could do for various causes OB supports. Sorry for the late reply as I've been off the grid for months. Cheers, Rich
There are options to contribute a bit more, for those who really appreciate the service the community provides.. And for some fringe benefits. :p

On the main forums page:

1565763223304.png

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Hey Craig....is this enough?
I think that more important than money, the way to keep this going is by participation! Local meets, local meets, local meets!! Get to know members and organize more events!

Keep in mind, you don't have to be a staff member, moderator, member rep, or anything else to organize a get together.. Just post up a Rally Point and get something going!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

Thank you for the questions! The truth is nope, the one-time fee is not enough. That basically pays for the emblem and shipping...but we have a plan!

Here is the very short answer to a complicated question: I used to support OLB with money from my day job...then it exploded and Corrie and I knew that to do this right, we would both need to work on this full time. We both quit our jobs to do so, and now we are developing software as part of the long-term plan. The current software will continue to be available for the one time fee, and next year we will offer a "Expedition Tier" of premium features for a yearly subscription. It is hoped that will be enough to grow Overland Bound and continue to support our members and community better than any other adventure community on the planet. That's the goal!

M

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Hey Michael & Corrie,
Sounds like a great plan. I'm in for whatever you guys come up with. I get so much enjoyment from this community and have learned so much from its members, that I feel we owe a debt of gratitude (and finances) to your vision in order to sustain and improve on what you've built. I also believe that since you've dedicated your lives to this, that you should be paid at whatever level keeps you energized to create and develop. Look what you've built on a part time (ya right!!....I bet you were working 2 full time jobs each!!) basis....just think of what you can accomplish in this ever-evolving space if you're on it 100%.
Thanks you two....and thanks to your volunteers who work tirelessly on the things that give them life's juice. I am the beneficiary of it all, and like Trail Runner Bowser offered, I'm also happy to pitch in where needed.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I think that more important than money, the way to keep this going is by participation! Local meets, local meets, local meets!! Get to know members and organize more events!

Keep in mind, you don't have to be a staff member, moderator, member rep, or anything else to organize a get together.. Just post up a Rally Point and get something going!
Its much easier to start an event than it is to get anyone to show up. Ive tried to put together events they get interest but no one ever shows. My wife and i do 2 person cleanup events on our own now, i got tired of wasting time planning for nothing. Since this is the internet i would guess at least 50% of the folks on here dont really do overlanding they just have a strong interest hence you will see alot of (what should my first overland rig be?). Maybe 20% of us actually go out and do anything the other 30% are angry keyboard commandos who read up on overlanding gear etc and have a offroad vehicle but never do anything with it maybe camp once or twice but feel they know everything because theyve got the latest greatest gear. Ive been attacked for asking what i thought was a legitimate question to help the folks new to outdoors, the running out of toilet paper thread apparently im stupid for even asking that question. I asked a hypothetical question and was immediately assumed to know nothing i believe i was even called a troll at one point.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Its much easier to start an event than it is to get anyone to show up. Ive tried to put together events they get interest but no one ever shows. My wife and i do 2 person cleanup events on our own now, i got tired of wasting time planning for nothing. Since this is the internet i would guess at least 50% of the folks on here dont really do overlanding they just have a strong interest hence you will see alot of (what should my first overland rig be?). Maybe 20% of us actually go out and do anything the other 30% are angry keyboard commandos who read up on overlanding gear etc and have a offroad vehicle but never do anything with it maybe camp once or twice but feel they know everything because theyve got the latest greatest gear. Ive been attacked for asking what i thought was a legitimate question to help the folks new to outdoors, the running out of toilet paper thread apparently im stupid for even asking that question. I asked a hypothetical question and was immediately assumed to know nothing i believe i was even called a troll at one point.
It's why I do most all of my travel and cleanup work solo.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

RicketyOnion

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rock Hill, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4GZD
Been a member for about a year, life had me tied up for a bit so haven't been super active. Jumped to benefactor today, cause well what Overland Bound is doing is awesome and just happy this is going well.
Ive been wheeling, wrenching, camping for a long long time seems like since before "overlanding" had a name. Its just awesome to see so much progress!

Reactions: PDB and Michael

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hey all,

Thank you for the questions! The truth is nope, the one-time fee is not enough. That basically pays for the emblem and shipping...but we have a plan!

Here is the very short answer to a complicated question: I used to support OLB with money from my day job...then it exploded and Corrie and I knew that to do this right, we would both need to work on this full time. We both quit our jobs to do so, and now we are developing software as part of the long-term plan. The current software will continue to be available for the one time fee, and next year we will offer a "Expedition Tier" of premium features for a yearly subscription. It is hoped that will be enough to grow Overland Bound and continue to support our members and community better than any other adventure community on the planet. That's the goal!

M
Wasn't there a promise of a 2nd quarter 2019 release at some point? If so, I'm guessing that the scope has simply ballooned beyond the original plan, maybe?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Wasn't there a promise of a 2nd quarter 2019 release at some point? If so, I'm guessing that the scope has simply ballooned beyond the original plan, maybe?
No - that's not to say things are not taking (expected-ly) longer than we would like, but we're not too far off track. We'll have the forums and Rally Point in members hands in the next few weeks (not months) and the resource map later this year. That will complete v1.0 of the app. Mapping and Navigation will come in 2020.

If you want to be involved in early Beta, sign up here: Overland Bound Adventure Platform - Overland Bound

This group will provide feedback and report issues.

Thank you!

M

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Been a member for about a year, life had me tied up for a bit so haven't been super active. Jumped to benefactor today, cause well what Overland Bound is doing is awesome and just happy this is going well.
Ive been wheeling, wrenching, camping for a long long time seems like since before "overlanding" had a name. Its just awesome to see so much progress!
Nice!

Jim

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you!

M

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
No - that's not to say things are not taking (expected-ly) longer than we would like, but we're not too far off track. We'll have the forums and Rally Point in members hands in the next few weeks (not months) and the resource map later this year. That will complete v1.0 of the app. Mapping and Navigation will come in 2020.
Woo hoo!

If you want to be involved in early Beta, sign up here: Overland Bound Adventure Platform - Overland Bound
I've responded twice in the past to email solicitations for beta testing and again today via your link.

Reactions: Michael