Member Rides

• HTML tutorial

dr_r2r

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
Thanks, good vid. Did you do any sand hill climbing in your rig ? It's tougher than a a lot of people think. There were more rigs out there in this vid than I see on the interstate. Where was the vid taken?
Yes sir. I only aired down to 15 psi and off she goes, didn't even activate the lockers and with the RTT and awning. I did got a lot of weird stares though :) Some parts of the vid were taken at Silver Lake sand dunes state park in Michigan.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I just folded down the rear seats and rested the last leg on it. I was surprised too that it fits.
Looks like you have room to spare too !
It was neglected for sure but i have no idea how much it was driven in the last year or so.

I was under the rear end for the first time last night and it turns out the whole back half of the frame is completely rusted out. So bring on the donor cars. hahaha.

View attachment 116306
Believe it or not there is a replacement kit frame you can put on yourself if you can weld a little. Check the utube LRD2 frame repair videos , also Lucky8 has the frame piece. if your interested. Your rig is why I will never buy a car from the Florida or any E coast or gulf region of the USA. I hope the damage is ONLY at the rear section

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes sir. I only aired down to 15 psi and off she goes, didn't even activate the lockers and with the RTT and awning. I did got a lot of weird stares though :) Some parts of the vid were taken at Silver Lake sand dunes state park in Michigan.
The RTT weight probably helped. I can believe the stares, It could have been me. LOL- - - Not laughing at you, I'm laughing at myself for under rating the rigs ability.

• Haha
Reactions: dr_r2r

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It was neglected for sure but i have no idea how much it was driven in the last year or so.

I was under the rear end for the first time last night and it turns out the whole back half of the frame is completely rusted out. So bring on the donor cars. hahaha.

View attachment 116306
I said to buy and hoard these LRD2's, But not with frames like this. That is scary. Sorry this happened to you on what looks like an otherwise nice rig.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

Oh this rig wasn’t a Florida one, it was a TN one. That is road salt damage for sure. Everything underneath is pretty rusted, not to that degree, thank god, but pretty rusted.

I have a friend of a friend who is a hotrod builder and I already have him trying to find me a parts car or two.

I have a little exposure to welding but never really got good at it, but I am already planning on buying a good welder and getting good at it because I want to do all this stuff myself. (Welder is already in the Amazon cart, hahaha)

I will check out the repair frames and pieces, thanks again!

AA

Looks like you have room to spare too !

Believe it or not there is a replacement kit frame you can put on yourself if you can weld a little. Check the utube LRD2 frame repair videos , also Lucky8 has the frame piece. if your interested. Your rig is why I will never buy a car from the Florida or any E coast or gulf region of the USA. I hope the damage is ONLY at the rear section

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Oh this rig wasn’t a Florida one, it was a TN one. That is road salt damage for sure. Everything underneath is pretty rusted, not to that degree, thank god, but pretty rusted.

I have a friend of a friend who is a hotrod builder and I already have him trying to find me a parts car or two.

I have a little exposure to welding but never really got good at it, but I am already planning on buying a good welder and getting good at it because I want to do all this stuff myself. (Welder is already in the Amazon cart, hahaha)

I will check out the repair frames and pieces, thanks again!

AA
I can weld most things but I have never mastered welding up hill lying on my back.
What kind of welder did you buy ? Be sure to get yourself a good automatic darkening hood, it will be much easier to learn with. Learning to fabricate things like bumpers and skid plates or building trailers is fun.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Got a new rig Friday. 2018 JLUR with 15.6k miles. For the time being, I will still be keeping my Grand Cherokee. I can't believe the wife is urging me to Keep the WJ and Lift the Rubicon. I was assuming I would sell the WJ. It has been a weekend vehicle for me and now with the Rubicon what good is the WJ? Well, I took on a trail I ran 2 months ago in the WJ and the WJ whizzed through some sections the Rubicon really had to thread the needle. The JLU is a lot bigger than I realized when compared against the WJ. Plus the pinstriping hurt about as bad as getting rock rash on 3 out of 4 wheels on my first trip:sob: So, I might keep the WJ and take it a little more in the rock-crawler-ish direction and use the Rubi as my DD / Overlanding Exploration rig.

Can't wait to take the trailer for a spin with the Rubicon. The powertrain is so much more modern.

IMG_20191013_124425.jpg
IMG_20191012_130740.jpg
IMG_20191012_130054_Bokeh.jpg

and here is a Pic of the WJ and my trailer set up at North Rim Grand Canyon back in August

IMG_20190816_191754.jpg

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
yep , supervisor car, carpet and center console equipped ,
wheels are from 2015 .
I love the vinyl floor covering in mine! I built my own console from ammo cans, and also used the existing roof holes for ham radio antennas. As a bonus, the DPS left the weapon locker in it, so I didn’t have to build drawers.FE490BAC-E6F9-4DAA-AF99-4788B326002F.jpegACD90C14-AB05-4EAF-A8FC-1B9001AFBB52.jpeg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
interesting , time to search gov actions for this type off lockers .
I saw a pair of new ones for 2019 ford Expedition listed here recently on the state surplus site. They weren’t well described so sold for only $40.

samuraj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

chicago
First Name
adam
Last Name
adam
Member #

I saw a pair of new ones for 2019 ford Expedition listed here recently on the state surplus site. They weren’t well described so sold for only $40.
why i did not think of this earlier ???
tahoe is my spare vehicle ( step son driving it now ) , but I'm looking for storage solution for my LX .

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH