Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
But I didn’t post #1352?
It was Msfitoy who posted it....
I do have videos of it off roading, but it’s too big to upload.
I see that now. I am totally wrong about everything I said. I am sorry for my confusion with what you did and did NOT post. My apologies for the confusion and my apologies directly to you. Happy Porscheing dr_2r2

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just bought this a couple months ago. So far with the small lift kit and tires, it has gained about 3" of lift in the front and 2.5" in the rear. With the small lift and wheel spacers it allowed me to get some 265/70-17 BFG KO2's under there. It's a work in progress and will be slowly adding to it. I'm not going to be doing serious crawling or anything with it it. But a some overlanding and camping are in its future. Next mod will be a decent roof basket. View attachment 116050View attachment 116050View attachment 116051View attachment 116052View attachment 116053View attachment 116054View attachment 116055View attachment 116056View attachment 116057View attachment 116058View attachment 116059
Nice, is it an all wheel drive or does it have a transfer case and low range. BMB right ? Never would a thought ! Tires look and fit good. What year and model is it ?

dr_r2r

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
Nice, is it an all wheel drive or does it have a transfer case and low range. BMB right ? Never would a thought ! Tires look and fit good. What year and model is it ?
No problem Lanlubber. Everything is good. Just a miscommunication. Would love to have couple of drinks with you if we ever bump into each other.
Big Berta is a 2005 Cayenne S with center and front factory lockers. Still working on the suspension set up. I only have springs and not air bags for easy maintenance. Next project for me would be recovery gear. I already have a winch but still figuring out how to install it.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

Not much to tell now, I am fixing all the urgent stuff that was jury-rigged or neglected by the previous owner. So far it has been simple stuff like the low-pressure coolant reservoir lines that he used tubing that was no way approved for coolant, so when I was trying to replace the air filter his tubing broke in like 4 places.... also, the top of the air filter housing is broken and not really being held together, I did put the new air filter in though.

then differential fluid change, oil change and tranny fluid treatment and top off.

all the pins for the door over-travel mechanism were missing (rusted out??), so replaced those.

cleaned out the AC fan that was literally full of leaves.

Ordered a new window button housing, the current one is held in with 4 deck screws and its ALMOST impossible to roll the front windows down.

ordered a new pollen/AC filter.

Also realized that the rear hinges were bent, which is why it was almost impossible to close and also why the bottom is falling apart, because it hits the bumper every time you close it. need to order new hinges (or hammer these flat and put them back in, depending on how much wants for new ones, which I'm sure is $500 like every part for land rovers, lol).

She gets 4 new tires tomorrow morning, some TOYO ATs.

So I've had her a week and I am just trying to chip away at all the stuff that needs to be fixed.

Oh, also I think the previous owner replaced the ignition cylinder because the one key I do have for the car wont open the door... and the FOB is super broken. And buying two more keys.... also $500 from LR. best part... if they cut them to the VIN they probably wont work! hahahaha.

With the cost of parts being a real eye-opener compared to all my humdrum Made in the USA vehicles, I might be steering away from "upgrading" her and just get her running and throw a roof rack on and call it a day. But it's still early, who knows.

IMG_8796.jpg

IMG_8800.jpg

IMG_8805.jpg

IMG_8803.jpg

IMG_8859.jpg

Well tell us more. I have one too undergoing transformation slowly.

Reaper XJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks, yes, all wheel drive. It's a 2003. The 2000-2003 had the better transfer case. It used the NV-125 which has a regular planetary gear set. The 2004-2006 had the clutches and electronic transfer case motor. They were more prone to failure. I wish it had a low gear and lockers, but I have a lifted Cherokee for more serious off road.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

Beautiful ride man! You are going to make all of us in our beater rovers and cruisers really jealous! hahaha

Would be interested to know what roof racks you are looking at. I think I have settled on the Front Runner because it seems the most modular and legit one I can find. I know there are more heavy-duty ones out there, but the modularity of that one is what really sold me on it.

AA

Just bought this a couple months ago. So far with the small lift kit and tires, it has gained about 3" of lift in the front and 2.5" in the rear. With the small lift and wheel spacers it allowed me to get some 265/70-17 BFG KO2's under there. It's a work in progress and will be slowly adding to it. I'm not going to be doing serious crawling or anything with it it. But a some overlanding and camping are in its future. Next mod will be a decent roof basket. View attachment 116050View attachment 116050View attachment 116051View attachment 116052View attachment 116053View attachment 116054View attachment 116055View attachment 116056View attachment 116057View attachment 116058View attachment 116059

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No problem Lanlubber. Everything is good. Just a miscommunication. Would love to have couple of drinks with you if we ever bump into each other.
Big Berta is a 2005 Cayenne S with center and front factory lockers. Still working on the suspension set up. I only have springs and not air bags for easy maintenance. Next project for me would be recovery gear. I already have a winch but still figuring out how to install it.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Thank you, I'm very sorry about the whole mishap. I don't know how I could have been so wrong. I'll buy the beers when our trails cross !

Did you say you have a lift on it and you did it with springs ? What is a center locker ? Is it 4 wheel drive ? I love the look of your cayenne but who wouldn't love a Porsche. Are you going to be satisfied with the smallness of it ?
Pictures are deceiving and it looks small.

I was in Albuquerque today and saw a beautiful new P driving in front of me. It was awesome..

dr_r2r

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
Ah beer......
Yes, I have the lift parts already but have not installed it yet. I should have a ground clearance of about 300 mm or near 12 inches or more12038228_10207689131850112_8168324730621779989_n.jpg.
It is a full time 4wd. The Cayenne was offered with three locking differentials. Front, center and and the elusive hard to find rear. I only have the center and front. It has low range with reduction and combined with other Porsche nannies PASM, PTM, PSM, PDCC etc. it would go places where you thought would be impossible to go through.
It's an average size SUV with a ridiculous small turning radius. It's been perfect to places where I've been. Internal space is so so... Fortunately, I can throw a $35 cot bed from Walmart on the passenger side and sleep comfortably when I'm camping alone.

Last edited:

Reaper XJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Beautiful ride man! You are going to make all of us in our beater rovers and cruisers really jealous! hahaha

Would be interested to know what roof racks you are looking at. I think I have settled on the Front Runner because it seems the most modular and legit one I can find. I know there are more heavy-duty ones out there, but the modularity of that one is what really sold me on it.

AA
Thanks, I dunno about the jealous part. Those rovers and cruisers are far more capable off road. But this should be a little fun and comfortable. And like I stated earlier, I'll use my XJ for the more serious stuff, even if it is a little more primitive lol.
As far as the roof rack, I have not decided. I'm doing this on a budget, and seeing the outrageous costs for some of the roof racks out there, I may just build my own and save some pennies.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not much to tell now, I am fixing all the urgent stuff that was jury-rigged or neglected by the previous owner. So far it has been simple stuff like the low-pressure coolant reservoir lines that he used tubing that was no way approved for coolant, so when I was trying to replace the air filter his tubing broke in like 4 places.... also, the top of the air filter housing is broken and not really being held together, I did put the new air filter in though.

then differential fluid change, oil change and tranny fluid treatment and top off.

all the pins for the door over-travel mechanism were missing (rusted out??), so replaced those.

cleaned out the AC fan that was literally full of leaves.

Ordered a new window button housing, the current one is held in with 4 deck screws and its ALMOST impossible to roll the front windows down.

ordered a new pollen/AC filter.

Also realized that the rear hinges were bent, which is why it was almost impossible to close and also why the bottom is falling apart, because it hits the bumper every time you close it. need to order new hinges (or hammer these flat and put them back in, depending on how much wants for new ones, which I'm sure is $500 like every part for land rovers, lol).

She gets 4 new tires tomorrow morning, some TOYO ATs.

So I've had her a week and I am just trying to chip away at all the stuff that needs to be fixed.

Oh, also I think the previous owner replaced the ignition cylinder because the one key I do have for the car wont open the door... and the FOB is super broken. And buying two more keys.... also $500 from LR. best part... if they cut them to the VIN they probably wont work! hahahaha.

With the cost of parts being a real eye-opener compared to all my humdrum Made in the USA vehicles, I might be steering away from "upgrading" her and just get her running and throw a roof rack on and call it a day. But it's still early, who knows.

View attachment 116160

View attachment 116161

View attachment 116162

View attachment 116163

View attachment 116164
Has this LRD2 been sitting for a long time ? You need to find a wrecking yard that has a few LRD2's and start collecting parts. If you buy from LR Dealers you'll go broke. I'm not a stickler for buying OEM parts. Discount auto sells mechanical parts at reasonable prices. I'm sire thete ate other outlets for parts too.
I have a wrecking yard I go to for used body parts and they are reasonable if they have them. Next time I see a really cheap one I'm going to buy it for a parts car. These things ate like Ford Mustangs or Broncos, if you find them buy them and hoard them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ah beer......
Yes, I have the lift parts already but have not installed it yet. I should have a ground clearance of about 300 mm or near 12 inches or moreView attachment 116264.
It is a full time 4wd. The Cayenne was offered with three locking differentials. Front, center and and the elusive hard to find rear. I only have the center and front. It has low range with reduction and combined with other Porsche nannies PASM, PTM, PSM, PDCC etc. it would go places where you thought would be impossible to go through.
It's an average size SUV with a ridiculous small turning radius. It's been perfect to places where I've been. Internal space is so so... Fortunately, I can throw a $35 cot bed from Walmart on the passenger side and sleep comfortably when I'm camping alone.
It sounds a lot like my Land Rover Discovery 2 as far as size and drive train. My LRD2 is basically a luxury jeep with a SMARTER drive train. My Wheel base is 100 inches so it turns good. I just raised it 2" but don't know the clearance yet because I have yet to install the new 265/75R/16 tires I bought this week. Anyway my rig is slowly coming together and hope to be out in it by fall. Keep up your progress and performance reports so we will all know more about Porsche off road vehicle.
Lanlubber.

Reactions: dr_r2r

Xcape Pod

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Maryland, USA
First Name
Derick
Last Name
Call
Member #

New to the site, well trolling for a few weeks but decided to get onboard.
Do allot of boating and paddling and just recently got a "over landing" rig for the first time in several years. Got a low mile '01 jeep XJ ripe for some lift and outfitting. Love the land cruiser rig so well represented on this site but would love hear what others are working and playing with....
Hi, I have a 2014 Nissan Xterra with lift, armor winch and RTT. The XJ is an awesome platform I know a lot of guys who swear by them! Anyway here is a pic of my setup from my recent overland trip across my home state of Maine.

Attachments

Reaper XJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi, I have a 2014 Nissan Xterra with lift, armor winch and RTT. The XJ is an awesome platform I know a lot of guys who swear by them! Anyway here is a pic of my setup from my recent overland trip across my home state of Maine.
Nice X! I love those, almost bought one. I still might lol.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

It was neglected for sure but i have no idea how much it was driven in the last year or so.

I was under the rear end for the first time last night and it turns out the whole back half of the frame is completely rusted out. So bring on the donor cars. hahaha.

IMG_8893.jpg

Has this LRD2 been sitting for a long time ? You need to find a wrecking yard that has a few LRD2's and start collecting parts. If you buy from LR Dealers you'll go broke. I'm not a stickler for buying OEM parts. Discount auto sells mechanical parts at reasonable prices. I'm sire thete ate other outlets for parts too.
I have a wrecking yard I go to for used body parts and they are reasonable if they have them. Next time I see a really cheap one I'm going to buy it for a parts car. These things ate like Ford Mustangs or Broncos, if you find them buy them and hoard them.

• Wow
Reactions: 9Mike2

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ah beer......
Yes, I have the lift parts already but have not installed it yet. I should have a ground clearance of about 300 mm or near 12 inches or moreView attachment 116264.
I cant believe you can put down a cot in your rear section. I think when I measured mine I only had 59" or so. I'm going to have to re-check because your rig looks smaller than mine. I know I have more height on the interior because LRD's are like box cars in height ! Did you remove the rear seats or just the one on the passenger side ?

dr_r2r

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
I cant believe you can put down a cot in your rear section. I think when I measured mine I only had 59" or so. I'm going to have to re-check because your rig looks smaller than mine. I know I have more height on the interior because LRD's are like box cars in height ! Did you remove the rear seats or just the one on the passenger side ?
I just folded down the rear seats and rested the last leg on it. I was surprised too that it fits.