Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Steele
Member #

IMG_7738.JPG
Not exactly Overlanding, but spent the past several days in/around Yosemite with the family and had a blast.

I love traveling in the GX and can’t wait to make it more off-road capable. Next on the list are some sliders to replace the fat side steps. I know I should be doing suspension/lift first, but I can’t stand to throw away the extended warranty; so that will come a bit later.

Upperleftjeep

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello Iubootgater,

It's great to meet you! As Michael states, this is a very Land Cruiser centric site, but there are a few of us with other rigs. In fact, Michael and his amazing Overland Bound rig is an honorary member of the Northern CA Land Rover club. :-)

With that said, I have a 2013 Land Rover LR4 (also known as a Discovery 4). I actually went back and forth between a 2013 Land Rover and a 2013 Land Cruiser, but ultimately chose the Land Rover. Don't get me wrong, I love Land Cruisers, but there is just something not-so-special about the newer models. I love the FJ80s and earlier models, but really was not happy with the 2013 model. I do appreciate the heritage and reliability, but I found the interior a bit cheap and overall drive pretty boring for vehicle that sells for just over $80,000. I also wanted a vehicle for off light to moderate off roading and overland travel. In test driving the 2013 Land Cruiser I found it very difficult and complicated to switch to low range and utilize the terrain response modes. Everything is so darn computerized and there are so many computer screens and gadgets.

That left me with the Land Rover, and I had one in 2000 that was a pretty big piece of crap. I was not interested in the LR3 (Discovery 3) models, but once the LR4 came out in late 2009 I took another look. I was a bit at odds when Tata Motors took over Land Rover/Jaguar, but I think ultimately it has been hugely beneficial to the brand in regards to reliability, quality of engineering, and bringing them more into the mainstream market (the latter is a bit annoying to me). I am a purist when it comes to Land Cruisers, Jeeps, Land Rovers, etc., so for me I want something that is functional and not as blingy. Don't get me wrong, my LR4 has a lovely interior, very comfortable, some nice luxury features, but it's still pretty simple overall. Still, the electrical stuff and air-ride suspension scare me at times! ;-)

There are a few newer model Land Rovers in our club and a few older model - also a few awesome Defenders, which are incredible. I would say that the newer Land Rovers are overall more reliable than the older models, especially post 2010. I've actually had two LR4s and both have been rock solid, awesome off road, and just great vehicles. If you do look at older Land Rover models, it helps a LOT to be a bit mechanically inclined. Most of the guys in our Land Rover club with older rovers tend to be very good at tinkering and fixing them on their own.

I currently have almost 13,000 miles on my 2013 LR4. I actually ordered it because I wanted the heavy duty package (has the locking differentials). A lot of my miles is from trips, as I tend to ride my bike to work. I will say that the LR4 is a tougher build because there are just not a lot of options out there and most come from places like Australia. With that said, I have a long list of modifications and updates. These are highly capable vehicles, but they are pretty expensive, and still may have some reliability issues, though things are a lot better.

I can definitely answer other questions or anything about rovers, as I know they sometimes get a bad reputation and known as mostly mall crawlers, but they do have some brilliant engineering and capability. Then again, the newer Land Cruisers are also basically mall crawler soccer mom trucks and just as expensive.

Here are a few recent photos - working on the rear tire swing away in the new year.....

Nice