Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Continued....sorry if i swamped the page
Man I wish there were places to drive and camp on the beach here in the SE US. There's St Augustine and a few near there, but it's just driving, no trails or anything like that. And no camping.

Looks like a fun time out there! A 4WD course on the beach looks like fun!

Posted from my phone using the OB app, so typos are likely!
My Jeep Build

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

I haven't seen any Four Wheel Campers yet on OB, so I think it's time to share my rig. When we got our camper in Jan 2015, we were life-long campground tent campers. Now the world of overlanding has become an addiction! What a blast to explore & get away from campgrounds.
FWC Hawk shell, 2004 F150
Anza-Borrego

Sent from my SM-T900 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Love to see another FWC on here! Nice rig

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: DaveL

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
Planning to post a build thread sometime, but that means I have to organize my thoughts, and find /upload photos.

So here's a quick snap of my truck from this morning at the park (thrilling, right?)

2015 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 6' Bed

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Nice set up.
That's neat!

I've been back at the drawing board with my bronco

I've just about got it hammered out to either a inline 300 Ci ford 6 cylinder with propane conversion. Or a 4bt cummins....

A dana 44 HD solid axle swap up front on coils and radius arms and a dana 60 out back
... well

I have axles, an engine will come relatively easy.

uploadfromtaptalk1465100572747.jpguploadfromtaptalk1465100595554.jpg
I can rebuild those in a weekend.

Still gathering parts for the swap.

And the hard thing to find is this...

uploadfromtaptalk1465100486339.jpguploadfromtaptalk1465100497847.jpg

With the bronco it opens up into the cab, I like it alot!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I used to own a 2003 Honda Element that I did minor customization to. Great indoor sleeper but couldn't take me to far off pavement. In early 2013 I bought a very low mileage 2011 FJ Cruiser. I'm the poster child for the statement "I will never need that" and since the spring of 2013 have added 2 Ham radios, CB, dual batteries (since removed), ArkPak battery pack, portable solar, Warrior roof rack, Expedition One front bumper with winch (Installing soon), ARB and now larger Indel B fridge with slide out, OME suspension. The big I will never need that was a M416 trailer, since sold, and then my "I built this" beast mode trailer. My trailer started as a M116A3 flatbed generator trailer and became something that is very similar to a Turtleback Trailer. In fact I worked at TB last year and the owner Dave was a huge help in making my DIY trailer a hell of a lot nicer. It has had a few iterations including adding a larger tent. @Gunnermoose and I will be rebuilding the kitchen cabinet at some point.

Anyway , here are the glamor shots. In 3 years I have put nearly 60,000 miles on the truck. The vast majority being long overland trips. I carry a lot of "what if" stuff but it doesn't matter if you start out with a basic off-road vehicle and ground tent. Just get outdoors, talk to lots of folks and figure out what works for you over time.

I will dig up a link to my build thread on Expedition Portal and post it here.

We also own a 2016 Subaru Forrester and love it. Wife had to get the Turbo but it is a very capable vehicle. I'm surprised at how much I like it.

Last edited:

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Nice rig, and nice work on the trailer. Looks like it stands up to the elements quite well! I definitely appreciate how well-organized you are too, with the labels on your containers :)

Reactions: Luis Merlo

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Nice rig, and nice work on the trailer. Looks like it stands up to the elements quite well! I definitely appreciate how well-organized you are too, with the labels on your containers :)
I am totally insane with organization. As I add and delete things I try new ways to organize everything. In fact I'm doing that right now. Good thing it's only 98 outside at the moment. I also need to have a couple of optimized setups depending on the length of the trip and whether I am solo, with wife, or with dogs.

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this but spotted these badass rigs in Yosemite. I tried to talk to the owners but there English was pretty broken up. I understood they came from France on a boat with their rigs and that's about it. One was a Toyota hilux and the other a ford ranger