macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Hi fellow Overlanders!

First, got to say, even though I´m all the way from Norway, I´ve been following Overland Bound for quite some time now. Though I just registered today..., sorry :wink:

Have to say, it´s a great site you´ve got Michael! And it´s a pleasure everytime my iPhone plings, with new videos on youtube!

Also, there´s a a lot of great looking cars on this forum. Have to admit I´m a bit of an Landcruiser Junkie, but I love to see sweet rides from all manufacturers :blush: And agree with already mentioned by Wilson earlier, it´s great that Overland Bound are welcoming all sorts of Overland vehicles.

So, some info on my rig: It´s a Landcruiser Prado 120 2007 3,0L D4D with 35" tires, originally build from Arctic Trucks in Norway. Just bought the Prado in November -14, when selling my old Prado D4D, when we wanted to upgrade to bigger tires. Really low mileage, only 38.000 miles, so the engine is in my head, still new :blush:
My plans for it is to upgrade with full ARB front/rear lockers, ARB air compressor, African Outback roofrack, Safari Snorkel and extend all 4 breathers, Skidplates, FOX shocks and HT springs combined with Coil Rites in the rear springs, to supprt expdt.weight. Have blocked the EGR valve, and are planning to fully clean the IC and install a oil catch can to avoid any further carbonbuild inside the engine/egr. To manage to fit the catch can, I will have to move the washerfluid tank, to get more space. Because of really cold weather, the catch can needs to be as close to the engine as possible, not to freeze up.

The plan with this new rig, is to support my family of 4 on overlanding and roadtripping around Norway and Europe.

Again, great to be a part of Overland Bound community! More to come :blush:

SKÅL (means cheers in norwegian) IVAR

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Thanks Wilson!

I know a diesel rig sound good to you fellow american overlanders. The truth is, because of the high prices on fuel in Norway, it´s cheapest to run diesel, both because the price is a little lower on diesel than gas, but also because the fuel ecenomy on diesel rigs are better than gasoline rigs. Overall, I´m fairly happy with my diesel rig :blush:

But I envy you americans the opportunity to mount OME bumpers both in front and rear on your rigs. That´s strictly forbidden in Norway, because of the concern if you hit pedestrians. So say if I mount a ARB front bumper, and are pulled over for inspection by the police or road authoroties, I will get a notice that says my car is illegal, and will have to pay for another official inspection, without the bumper, to have the car authorized for the road again. OR, if I hit a drunk pedestrian with a non.legal bumper, my car insurance will not cover his/hers medical expenses, meaning I´ll be personally charged with this, and will probably in more severe cases be prosecuted by federal law, and for sure heavily fined, if I escape prisontime...

SO, I+d gladly give you some diesel rigs, if I could have the opportunity to mount OME bumpers on my rig to increase approach and departure angles :blush:

Here´s a photo of my rig, the above mentioned gear are not on yet, but are coming soon :blush:

SKÅL

D

davidangusw

Hello Ivar,

That's a great looking rig - love it! I echo what Wilson said, the idea of a diesel is wonderful for us Americans. I know Land Rover is bringing a turbodiesel to the US with their Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, but most of those vehicles won't see much dirt here in the US.

Looking forward to seeing more photos!

Regards, David

macivar

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asker - Norway
Member #

Hi David,

Just read some weeks ago about Land Rover importing disel RR and RRSport`s to the US. Finally at least some diesels are coming in through the strict US emissions Law :blush:
Agree With you, very few of thos will probably see any dirt time... At least not for some years maybe.
A relative of mine i Chicago, mentioned a friend of his that has a diesel Defender. But i Guess it`s older than 25 years, so I Guess it was easier to import.
Also, I know Landcruiser Direct are importing old Landcruisers With diesel, but when looking through theire website, it looked like all were from Japan, and was right wheeled.

More photos are coming soon :blush:

SKÅL (Cheers)

jason

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Owasso, Oklahoma
Member #

Thanks I am looking forward to the build. My schedule is not play nice with me at the moment. I hoped to have been further by now.

Contributor I

Hey guys,
New on the Forums My rig is a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I put a 4 inch lift kit on it with some 33's. It's still a work in progress like all builds :grinning:.

upgrades for the future:
Looking to get some Rock Sliders.
Roof rack.
rear tire Carrier.
maybe 6.5 inch lift with 35's

Reactions: k9sar

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Ivar and Andrew,

Welcome aboard.
Ivar, as we are the european league here, I hereby invite you to our trips we do here in hte Netherlands. And in Eruope if planned.
I would love to have some spirtis with the same mindset to have some nice weekends or other kind of trips.

Enjoy your time here.

Greetings from Robert

Cameron

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey guys, new member here posting some pics of my current rig. Its a 2006 Ford Freestyle. It is by no means an offroad rig, but its got AWD, and can get me places.
Im in Nova Scotia, Canada, so snow wheeling is one of my favorite things.
Thanks guys!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

You guys really have some really nice rigs. If I had known the word "Overland" before I bought my truck, I would have considered something smaller. Although I do tow a Fifth Wheel and a big Boat so I really needed the extra towing.

We do have an Grand Cherokee as well but it's awaiting the wife to trade it in for something German.

Reactions: 9Mike2

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

2003 Land Cruiser for sale in my county in California. Michael, if you want to make a for sale thread? Dunno..I thought this would be a cool project for someone. http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/4872470151.html

Robert

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Wow everyone - so awesome to see all the great rigs hitting this thread from around the world. I love what I'm seeing. Absolutely true - overlanding is for everyone, and every rig, so long as it reliably transports you and your passengers to where you want to go. Love the AWDs and the rigs like @VegabondExpedition! @Wolvee, love your rig too. Welcome to the site, and I cant wait to see more pics! @Ivar , your Prado looks amazing and I will definitely follow your build! That's awesome!

Shawn_Dobbels

Rank 0

Contributor I

I started out using a 2000 jeep wrangler it it was ok for a while. Great off-road capability. Not so great room for gear. Recently traded for a 15' Tacoma TRD. I haven't had a chance to get out with it yet. I originally planned to let the dealer put a lift on it with some bigger tires, but now I'm courious to see how it does in stock form.

The old rig

The new rig

vda9

Rank 0

Contributor I

Well i have always loved the outdoors and cars, so naturally overlanding is a now brainier. However i have only been on a few weekend trips so far. I have always been a Volkswagen fan, and always wanted a westfalia (still do) But last summer the opportunity presented its self for me to purchase a 91 Volkswagen Golf Country. AWD. I absolutely love it. The car is currently in storage as we endure tons of snow in atlantic Canada. I do have some plans for it in the spring tho.

Pictures:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Myles,

The Golf Country is a strange vehicle. It is however build on the tech of a T3 vanagon Syncro, same setup. And therefor absolutely good for overlanding.
If I would have such a car, I would cherish it much.

I dont know what kind of tyres you driving, but, my tyres I had on the T3 were General Grabbers AT2. And they are very good. Especially on track and on roads.

And with just a higher tyre you will have gained some extra ground clearance.

Love to see more often here.

Greetings from Robert

Hello Shawn,

It seems that the Tacoma is a great Rig. As I watching Expediton Overland on You tube as well, and they have a great Tacoma. However, they did some extra stuff on it. Look for the vids on you tube.

Greetings from Robert

Contributor I

Okay, I've been watching the YouTube channel for a few months now, but just joined the forums. The rig is an '89 Toyota Land Cruiser (FJ62). She's got 160K miles. The few things that it has is an Old Man Emu lift (just a couple inches), ARB front bumper, and a Warn 8,000 lb. winch. Open diffs. When funds allow, I will do lockers, bigger tires (currently 31s), maybe another 2'" of lift and some sliders and a rear bumper, and at some point, a roof rack as well. I don't make a lot of money so the upgrades come slowly, especially since a good chunk of the little extra cash I have tends to go towards firearm related stuff. You can see the rig on a couple rides on my Youtube channel (also called JunkfoodZombie). It is primarily firearms stuff, but I throw some offroad videos in there on occasion. Check it out if you like. In the meantime, enjoy the photos.

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

4023 said:
You guys really have some really nice rigs. If I had known the word “Overland” before I bought my truck, I would have considered something smaller. Although I do tow a Fifth Wheel and a big Boat so I really needed the extra towing.

We do have an Grand Cherokee as well but it’s awaiting the wife to trade it in for something German.

Lost track of how many of these trucks my family has had, just my 2 cents... I would make sure the tires are at least a good AT, maybe the rancho shocks upgrade if you don't already have and a camper shell and I think you would find yourself more capable then you think. I currently have a 01 Cherokee with 29inch grabber AT/2's and the monroe coilover spring upgrade waiting to be installed as I tow a boat as well and needed a bit more payload ability for those 14 year old leaf springs. I intend to upgrade the rig to a 100 series land cruiser or something of that ilk in the next few years as gear and a larger family necessitate a larger vehicle. At this point I focus my dollars on non-vehicle specific gear such as camp kitchen, awning, ect. that can be used with any future rig. I bought the jeep last summer for kayak trips and what I referred to as a camp wagon until a month later I learned there was a term for what we already did, like you had I known what would follow after learning about vehicle dependent adventure travel I might have made a different choice....or maybe not.
cheers!