Member Rides

• HTML tutorial

Yroundrdn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
It was finally time to sell the ol' Suburban after the last trip.
Webp.net-resizeimage (16).jpg
When you get into spots where people as how you got "that" there and your wife walks most of the way, it may be time to upgrade to something made for the trails. So we did! 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. So far I've only removed the rear seats, installed a fridge, AGM bat for the fridge, did the 400 watt converter "anytime" mod and installed a 120 outlet in the rear cab area. I was hoping to do the tonneau cover and RTT before our first trip but everything is on back order due to Covid :rage:.
So far the off road capabilities are quite surprising and impressive. Leaving this week on a trip and will see how it does.
taco.JPG

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

It was finally time to sell the ol' Suburban after the last trip.
View attachment 161651
When you get into spots where people as how you got "that" there and your wife walks most of the way, it may be time to upgrade to something made for the trails. So we did! 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. So far I've only removed the rear seats, installed a fridge, AGM bat for the fridge, did the 400 watt converter "anytime" mod and installed a 120 outlet in the rear cab area. I was hoping to do the tonneau cover and RTT before our first trip but everything is on back order due to Covid :rage:.
So far the off road capabilities are quite surprising and impressive. Leaving this week on a trip and will see how it does.
View attachment 161652
Very nice! Have you checked out Tacoma World yet? Free and very active

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
Just bought a 2020 Ranger. finally got around to putting my OB medallions on the truck.
IMG_20200707_190718.jpg
Took it up to Carrabassett Valley last week when my GF and I were caretaking up to Maine Huts & Trails. Had a chance to drive it on some logging roads and get it a bit dirty and muddy.
IMG_20200627_112559.jpg
IMG_20200627_112936.jpg

IMG_20200628_111222.jpg
And took it to Fortunes Rocks to watch the waves
IMG_20200625_173958.jpg

So far I'm loving this truck.

KenDF

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Follette
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Working
Hello Iubootgater,

It's great to meet you! As Michael states, this is a very Land Cruiser centric site, but there are a few of us with other rigs. In fact, Michael and his amazing Overland Bound rig is an honorary member of the Northern CA Land Rover club. :-)

With that said, I have a 2013 Land Rover LR4 (also known as a Discovery 4). I actually went back and forth between a 2013 Land Rover and a 2013 Land Cruiser, but ultimately chose the Land Rover. Don't get me wrong, I love Land Cruisers, but there is just something not-so-special about the newer models. I love the FJ80s and earlier models, but really was not happy with the 2013 model. I do appreciate the heritage and reliability, but I found the interior a bit cheap and overall drive pretty boring for vehicle that sells for just over $80,000. I also wanted a vehicle for off light to moderate off roading and overland travel. In test driving the 2013 Land Cruiser I found it very difficult and complicated to switch to low range and utilize the terrain response modes. Everything is so darn computerized and there are so many computer screens and gadgets.

That left me with the Land Rover, and I had one in 2000 that was a pretty big piece of crap. I was not interested in the LR3 (Discovery 3) models, but once the LR4 came out in late 2009 I took another look. I was a bit at odds when Tata Motors took over Land Rover/Jaguar, but I think ultimately it has been hugely beneficial to the brand in regards to reliability, quality of engineering, and bringing them more into the mainstream market (the latter is a bit annoying to me). I am a purist when it comes to Land Cruisers, Jeeps, Land Rovers, etc., so for me I want something that is functional and not as blingy. Don't get me wrong, my LR4 has a lovely interior, very comfortable, some nice luxury features, but it's still pretty simple overall. Still, the electrical stuff and air-ride suspension scare me at times! ;-)

There are a few newer model Land Rovers in our club and a few older model - also a few awesome Defenders, which are incredible. I would say that the newer Land Rovers are overall more reliable than the older models, especially post 2010. I've actually had two LR4s and both have been rock solid, awesome off road, and just great vehicles. If you do look at older Land Rover models, it helps a LOT to be a bit mechanically inclined. Most of the guys in our Land Rover club with older rovers tend to be very good at tinkering and fixing them on their own.

I currently have almost 13,000 miles on my 2013 LR4. I actually ordered it because I wanted the heavy duty package (has the locking differentials). A lot of my miles is from trips, as I tend to ride my bike to work. I will say that the LR4 is a tougher build because there are just not a lot of options out there and most come from places like Australia. With that said, I have a long list of modifications and updates. These are highly capable vehicles, but they are pretty expensive, and still may have some reliability issues, though things are a lot better.

I can definitely answer other questions or anything about rovers, as I know they sometimes get a bad reputation and known as mostly mall crawlers, but they do have some brilliant engineering and capability. Then again, the newer Land Cruisers are also basically mall crawler soccer mom trucks and just as expensive.

Here are a few recent photos - working on the rear tire swing away in the new year.....

Nice!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Just bought a 2020 Ranger. finally got around to putting my OB medallions on the truck.
View attachment 161667
Took it up to Carrabassett Valley last week when my GF and I were caretaking up to Maine Huts & Trails. Had a chance to drive it on some logging roads and get it a bit dirty and muddy.
View attachment 161668
View attachment 161669

View attachment 161670
And took it to Fortunes Rocks to watch the waves
View attachment 161671

So far I'm loving this truck.
What not to love, it's a great truck for the time we are in.

Reactions: egilbe

Deshi

Rank 0

Contributor I

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Butler
Here are my rigs...depending on the adventure.

1997 FZJ80, factory locked, 35's, tons of suspension work. This one's for the more wheelin side of things.

2007 GX470, fridge, drawers, skids, just enough suspension. This one's more comfort and long duration. (Also my daily driver)

2012 DR650, to many farkles to list. This one's for shorter, fast paced trips.

Attachments

josephburns35

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Burns
Member #

My ram 1500 love this truck. Just started doing things to it so far have a level kit and bfg at ko2 to replace the highway tires. Installed a mount for the fire extinguisher and a bed cover. So much better then the 2 door Wrangler I used to have.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Just a 2" lift; Ironman4x4 heavy duty coils and FoamCell Pro shocks
I purchased a roof rack for my LRD2 this past year. It was previously owned by an American diplomat who had it made while stationed in Africa several years ago for his safari expeditions. He brought it back to the states, sold his LRD and kept the roof rack for some reason. Its bigger than ones made in the states and when his wife put it up for sale I immediately grabbed it up for $400 USD. Here is the picture she posted for her sale that impressed me so much. It looks really nice on my rig too.

Attachments

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Just a 2" lift; Ironman4x4 heavy duty coils and FoamCell Pro shocks
I purchased a roof rack for my LRD2 this past year. It was previously owned by an American diplomat who had it made while stationed in Africa several years ago for his safari expeditions. He brought it back to the states, sold his LRD and kept the roof rack for some reason. Its bigger than ones made in the states and when his wife put it up for sale I immediately grabbed it up for $400 USD. Here is the picture she posted for her sale that impressed me so much. It looks really nice on my rig too.
Definitely looks like a proper expedition with a rack like that on the roof!