Enthusiast I

Blacklick, Franklin County, Ohio, United States
First Name
Chip
Last Name
York
Member #

Hi,

I am Alex, currently in my search for the right rig for me. Last year together with my girlfriend I bought our HZJ75 "Ben" in Arusha, Tanzania and it has been a bumpy ride eversince. Buying a car in Africa is not an easy thing to do and fixing it there even less so. Therefore I am currently selling our car which is Located in Iringa, Tanzania for the same price we bought it (although we invested around 5000€ in repairing it.

Furthermore I am looking for a new rig and I found one for sale with is a HZJ79 but with Three! axles. Now I am thinking if this is a good idea, therefore I made this post:

Cheers

View attachment 275450
Me with our Beloved Ben (before we bought him new rims)
Welcome! Man what a special rig that is! But I get it's a Lotta work and sounds hard on the pocket book!

Last edited:

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi,

I am Alex, currently in my search for the right rig for me. Last year together with my girlfriend I bought our HZJ75 "Ben" in Arusha, Tanzania and it has been a bumpy ride eversince. Buying a car in Africa is not an easy thing to do and fixing it there even less so. Therefore I am currently selling our car which is Located in Iringa, Tanzania for the same price we bought it (although we invested around 5000€ in repairing it.

Furthermore I am looking for a new rig and I found one for sale with is a HZJ79 but with Three! axles. Now I am thinking if this is a good idea, therefore I made this post:

Cheers

View attachment 275450
Hello Alex, welcome to Overland Bound.

Kcy4run

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Chip
Last Name
York
Member #

Hey, I'm David, a new member here. I grew up and Montana, Wyoming, in western South Dakota. Up until I left for college, our family did similar things to over landing. Now for the first time since I was 18 years old I have a four-wheel-drive and looking to get back into over landing. Now I live in the upstate of South Carolina. Lots of good novice forest service roads to cut my teeth on. Rig is being kitted out. It is a 2024 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro. I'm excited to get back out on the dirt roads.View attachment 275420
Welcome! I have a white 2020 and like you just starting to kit it out. I love how yours looks so far. The forums have great advice from people who've tried just about everything you can imagine!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi,

Cheers

View attachment 275450
Welcome To Overland Bound Alex
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
North America
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly!
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

DevynDMercer

Rank II

Contributor III

Midland, Texas, United States
First Name
Devyn
Last Name
Mercer
Member #

Howdy, y’all.

My name is Devyn, and I don’t have an overland rig yet as I operate out of a company provided truck.
I hope one day to get a small truck - preferably a Chevy Colorado and turn that into an overland rig.

I’m in the West Texas (Midland/Odessa) area, and I’m a novice at this point in time. I hope to be able to learn and prepare for when I do have my rig set up the way I want it.

Thank you for letting me be a part of this community!

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey,
View attachment 275443
I am Rob, I moved to Trumbull, CT about a month ago for work. My family has been into overlanding for several years and I have some experience in it, but not a whole lot. I am looking for a group to be a part of. I do love getting outdoors and am looking for some trails. I have a 2014 f-150 limited, 4 wheel drive, 3" lift, 35" mud tires, locking rear diff. It's not super modified, but it is fun.
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi,

Cheers

View attachment 275450
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Howdy, y’all.

My name is Devyn, and I don’t have an overland rig yet as I operate out of a company provided truck.
I hope one day to get a small truck - preferably a Chevy Colorado and turn that into an overland rig.

I’m in the West Texas (Midland/Odessa) area, and I’m a novice at this point in time. I hope to be able to learn and prepare for when I do have my rig set up the way I want it.

Hello Devyn (@DevynDMercer ), welcome to Overland Bound. I am one of your Local Experts for Texas. A Chevy Colorado sounds like a great rig to have. :wink:
There's really not much out your way as far as meet-ups go. Of course, you could always start one.

If you're up to travel, there are a few DFW area meetups you can check out here: DFW OB meet and greet & DFW - Meet & Greet & Ft Worth West Meetup

There is also a San Antonio meetup here: San Antonio Monthly Meetup - Eisenhauer Park

The Austin area has a couple.
South Central Texas has this meetup: Rigs and Coffee - South Central Texas
The one we attend for North Central Texas is in Georgetown: Recurring - North Central Texas Meet & Greet
We currently have a Hill Country trip planned for April 6, if you can make it. Annual Texas Hill Country Route Trip

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

paul87250

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Folles, Haute-Vienne, France
First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

Howdy, y’all.

Hi Devyn,

Welcome to OB from us in France.

Cheers Paul and Nicky

UAmatt89

Rank IV

Advocate II

Sierra Vista, AZ, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6HNY
Service Branch
USAF retired
Hi,

Cheers

View attachment 275450
Alex, I'm sure you've had some great travels with Ben. For vehicles in Africa he seems in good condition on the surface. Land Rovers and Toyotas, parts should be available in that part of the world. Both are certainly built tough to withstand the terrain. It's been almost 20 years since I was in that area but I remember Toyotas were not too difficult to do field repairs. Without much previous experience working on automobiles, I found a maintenance manual and figured it out to usually keep my vehicle running. I wish these were sold in the states for folks who prioritize performance over comfort.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Howdy, y’all.

Hello Devyn, welcome to Overland Bound.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hey,
View attachment 275443
I am Rob, I moved to Trumbull, CT about a month ago for work. My family has been into overlanding for several years and I have some experience in it, but not a whole lot. I am looking for a group to be a part of. I do love getting outdoors and am looking for some trails. I have a 2014 f-150 limited, 4 wheel drive, 3" lift, 35" mud tires, locking rear diff. It's not super modified, but it is fun.
Hi Rob,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

Cheers

View attachment 275450
Hi Alex,

I am one of the OB Ambassadors in Europe. The nearest Local Expert to you is @NotGumby. Please do not hesitate to contact him or me for questions regarding Overland Bound, and the App or information regarding overlanding. A very good contact for your Africa trips is our Africa Ambassador @Get Out GO . Christoff knows the region very well.

Local information for any of the OB regions can also be found in the Overland Bound by region forum. Each region has its own sub-forum. Germany, for example, belongs to the region MidEurope. So, this link leads to the MidEurope subforum. Feel free to introduce yourself to your local area here.

Please take a look at the Rally Points for planned events. There you can filter by region. There are plenty of meetups planned for 2024 for Europe already.

We also do a virtual campfire once a month, there are always members from many regions of Europe. This is a relaxed online talk about overlanding, trip plans, gear, everyday life and more with like-minded people. Just join us next time if you like.

If you have any other questions just ask, please. Always happy to help.

Safe travels,

Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Howdy, y’all.

Hi Devyn and welcome to Overland Bound!

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

Kcy4run

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Chip
Last Name
York
Member #

Howdy, y’all.

Welcome Devyn! Nothing like a free truck while you're plannin'!

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Howdy, y’all.

Hallo Devyn
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hi,

Cheers

View attachment 275450
Hallo Alex
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hey,
View attachment 275443
Hallo Rob
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Hi,

Cheers

View attachment 275450