Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello everyone. My name is Dave and I’m from Clovis, Ca. I currently have a 1996 LX450. I’ve been doing the overland thing for many years. I’m hoping to learn more and explore more. I’ve been aware of this community for awhile and I just decided it was time to join.
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Wife and I with 7-yr and 9-yr old kids here in Houston, TX. We are novices to overlanding but have driven many miles all over the world. Camping when we were much younger but nothing since. Backpacked for 6 months around the world pre-kids....

Vehicle is a 2018 GX 460 Luxury stock, purchased a few weeks ago with 46k miles and CPO. Love it already compared to our 2021 Tacoma DCLB OR (which we traded).

Our goal is to start getting out there and camping, progressing to short overlanding trips and see where it leads us!

Cheers,

Lee
Hello Lee (@JLOverland ), welcome to Overland Bound. I am one of your Local Experts for Texas.

The Houston area has this meetup here: Recurring Bryan College Station Meet-up

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
View attachment 265103View attachment 265104
Rig: 2016 GMC Canyon SLT 3.6L 4x4. Minor mods here and there including OEM skids, 2" level w/ 1" rear block, OEM rock sliders, bed rack, roll up tonneau, Trifecta Tune. Looking into tires and lighting next.
Overlanding Experience Background: Overlanding specifically; novice/intermediate. I am no stranger to car camping and I'm a highly experienced UL backpacker. The skills from those 2 activities port directly into Overlanding.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello folks and thank you for having me.
Cindy and I are located just north of Houston,Texas. This is our 2008 JKU.
I have enjoyed doing this build for the last year or so.
We are both quite “wet behind the ears” novices when it comes to Over-landing and look forward to learning all about this lifestyle and the capabilities required of both vehicle and us to accomplish this. The 2nd photo shows my duel battery setup I just finished that has a REDARC charger attached to it. Yes, I could use some help with my wiring .
Hello Michael (@SeaPig ), welcome to Overland Bound. I am one of your Local Experts for Texas.

The Houston area has this meetup here: Recurring Bryan College Station Meet-up

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello folks and thank you for having me.
Cindy and I are located just north of Houston,Texas. This is our 2008 JKU.
I have enjoyed doing this build for the last year or so.
We are both quite “wet behind the ears” novices when it comes to Over-landing and look forward to learning all about this lifestyle and the capabilities required of both vehicle and us to accomplish this. The 2nd photo shows my duel battery setup I just finished that has a REDARC charger attached to it. Yes, I could use some help with my wiring .
Hi Michael and welcome to Overland Bound!

Nice looking Jeep.

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

SeaPig

Rank 0

Contributor II

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Basye
Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Some Local Experts are; in Texas @roots66 & @Coreymol, and in the DFW area you can also contact @Prerunner1982
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Here is a Midwest expo in MO MOORE OVERLANDING AND OFF-ROAD EXPO // OZARK EMPIRE FAIRGROUNDS – SPRINGFIELD, MO
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com
Thank you Ken.
I spent my “formative years” off of Green Valley road pretty close to Rescue.
@SeaPig Those Nitto Ridge Grapplers and dual battery are a good start.

There are many "best advice" threads, but what it comes down to is learn to drive, use common sense, take what you use, don't take what you don't use, always take recovery gear whether you use it or not, and never leave home without a full-size spare!
This makes sense to me. Those two words “common sense” play a big part in everything I do these days when it comes to this rig. At almost 63 it has taken a bit for that to hammer home.
The Jeep is a little more than Nitro’s and duels, but I can get into that later

Attachments

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Howdy All. I'm Dave.

1) Fontana, CA
2) 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland
3) Well experienced in Overlanding and Camping in remote areas (Mainly from Big Bear to central CA, well off the 395)

Looking forward to continue exploring remote trails. View attachment 265336
Hello David, welcome to Overland Bound.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Howdy All. I'm Dave.

1) Fontana, CA
3) Well experienced in Overlanding and Camping in remote areas (Mainly from Big Bear to central CA, well off the 395)

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Howdy All. I'm Dave.

1) Fontana, CA

Hallo Dave
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Howdy All. I'm Dave.

1) Fontana, CA

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Howdy All. I'm Dave.

1) Fontana, CA

Welcome to Overland Bound Dave
Could you edit your profile to include a city or town, this allows the app and members to get you local information.
Don't hesitate to contact the SoCal Local Expert @Narbob for help or information.
Some contacts for local information are @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) & www.Riggedfordirt.com
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. West (HI CA NV)
App Tutorials
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Check out Overland Expo About WEST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello everyone!! I’m Jon, newbie to this site and app, I will hopefully learn the how to’s fast. Look forward to learning and making new friends! I have a 14 Rubicon 4 Door and I’m looking forward to some new trails this coming year! Going to Colorado in mid September! Can’t wait!
Hello Jon, welcome to Overland Bound. I am new to Colorado, but have been told by the locals most of the high passes will be snow bound by then. Please do your due diligence on your routes.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Hello everyone. My name is Dave and I’m from Clovis, Ca. I currently have a 1996 LX450. I’ve been doing the overland thing for many years. I’m hoping to learn more and explore more. I’ve been aware of this community for awhile and I just decided it was time to join.
Hi Dave. I was in Fresno on 8/29 at the Cheesecake factory. Welcome to OB. I saw the Marlin rock crawler website. I remember him in back off maple st in 80's. I was a rock crawler for years now really enjoying overloading with OB members. I hold meetings in Visalia CA where do trips in the area. I post on OB Rally point when we have a trip planned. I'm getting ready for the Mojave road trip next. We just came down from Courtwright reservoir, 7 rigs. We will be planning a snow camping trip soon above Bass Lake so we are looking to see your rig soon, oh you too. You have any questions just shot me a DM. Hope to see you inthewoods.

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hello everyone!! I’m Jon, newbie to this site and app, I will hopefully learn the how to’s fast. Look forward to learning and making new friends! I have a 14 Rubicon 4 Door and I’m looking forward to some new trails this coming year! Going to Colorado in mid September! Can’t wait!
Hallo Jon
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Jon and welcome to Overland Bound!

You will find plenty of useful information here and a lot of members who are happy to help.

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome To Overland Bound Jon
Could you edit your profile to include a city or town, this will help the app and members get you local information.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
RESOURCE MAP
North America
App Tutorials
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check out the four Overland Expo events https://www.OverlandExpo.com

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Howdy All. I'm Dave.

1) Fontana, CA

Hello Dave, welcome to Overland Bound!