• HTML tutorial

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Hello Everybody!

I am new to overlanding. I'm in the process of building up a 2009 tacoma. It started out as a tow rig for boats and other toys and slowly transformed to what it is now. I am usually in the Des Moines or Dubuque, Iowa area depending on if im at school or at home. I have taken my truck up to door county wisconsin a couple times this past year to camp but nothing really off the beaten path. I'd love to get more into the off the beaten path stuff once I graduate college. IMG_5313.JPG

MattHowell65

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Aurora, IL
Member #

Hello all!

My only experience is some mild off-roading and mudding, but I can't wait to take my first overlanding trip! I have a 2013 JKU mall crawler that I hope to slowly build into a truly capable rig.

I'm currently in the research stage, trying to figure out what would be the wisest next purchase to make for my Jeep. Winch? Traction mats? Hi-lift Jack? Navigation tablet? Fuel tanks? Something else? I'd love to hear what y'all recommend!
(I currently run 35" MTs on a 3.5" lift. I have a Garvin Expedition rack on top)

I'll be living in Kansas City until May, and then who knows! I've applied to multiple optometry schools and am waiting to hear back if and where I got accepted!

I'm itching for some adventure, so feel free to hit me up if you're in the KC area or Ozarks!

Michael Bollinger

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Alpharetta, GA
Member #

Hello All-
Just joined the site as i have been looking for a group of people to go off-roading and camping with as i recently moved to bay area.
My current rig is a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500, the off-road package that was put on it was the All Terrain X. I don't have any photos of it yet as I have been quite lazy to take them, but took an example off the internet.
I have been off-roading, camping and hunting for as long as i can remember but this is going to be the first truck i am going to modify for off-road.
Look forward to meeting yall.
Nice! Another all-terrain member.

Dog Party

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi all! New member here...wanted to pop in here and introduce myself.

1) Picture of my current rig below
2) Location: VA Beach, Virginia
3) Rig: 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Sport, V8, 4X4 (still stock, special build with HD suspension and limited slip rear diff)
4) Overlanding Experience: I've been camping, hunting and Overlanding for as long as I can remember. My first Overlanding setup was my BMX bike and a backpack in Fort Collins, CO. My fuel-powered rigs have included; '86 Subaru Brat ("285" if you're from England and "Brumby" if you're in Australia), '88 Yamaha XT350 '92 Ford Ranger, '05 Jeep Liberty CRD and a '78 Chrysler LeBaron (you can get a ways down the trail with a rear locker). I am a living example of the "It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an overland vehicle is that it serves the job required, safely" concept, which is a big reason I've joined this site.

I look forward to joining the fun and encouraging discussions that I have been reading on this site.

BuBBaBO

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Dunrobin, Ontario Canada
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Stillman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3MIK
Hello from Eastern Canada

I just recently became a member, so I thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Mike and I'm located in Ottawa, Ontario. I currently daily drive a 2004 Grand Cherokee with a few little modifications (3" lift, rear locker and some all terrains).

Build Thread: http://ovo.ca/forums/showthread.php?7416-The-BuBBaDuB-Build

I've been part of an offroad group here in Ottawa for several years and very interested in the Overland aspect of offroading.

FB_IMG_1464216635320.jpg
DSCN0310 (Large)-1.jpg

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Hello all!

My only experience is some mild off-roading and mudding, but I can't wait to take my first overlanding trip! I have a 2013 JKU mall crawler that I hope to slowly build into a truly capable rig.

I'm currently in the research stage, trying to figure out what would be the wisest next purchase to make for my Jeep. Winch? Traction mats? Hi-lift Jack? Navigation tablet? Fuel tanks? Something else? I'd love to hear what y'all recommend!
(I currently run 35" MTs on a 3.5" lift. I have a Garvin Expedition rack on top)

I'll be living in Kansas City until May, and then who knows! I've applied to multiple optometry schools and am waiting to hear back if and where I got accepted!

I'm itching for some adventure, so feel free to hit me up if you're in the KC area or Ozarks!

Your rig is pretty capable as it sits. I would recommend to get a better understanding of your rig. Know all the ins and outs so if something were to sound weird, feel weird, or you break down you can do a quick fix.

I would definitely recommend a winch and hi-lift. If you get a hi-lift please make sure you know how to work it properly. Practice a lot on stable flat ground. Read all the articles and watch all the videos on it. It's dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. But that's with anything.

The big recommendation is just enjoy the rig you have and find its limits when you find its limits then its time to upgrade those things. Or you realize it would be easier if you had this over that.

Just my .02

MattHowell65

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Aurora, IL
Member #

Your rig is pretty capable as it sits. I would recommend to get a better understanding of your rig. Know all the ins and outs so if something were to sound weird, feel weird, or you break down you can do a quick fix.

I would definitely recommend a winch and hi-lift. If you get a hi-lift please make sure you know how to work it properly. Practice a lot on stable flat ground. Read all the articles and watch all the videos on it. It's dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. But that's with anything.

The big recommendation is just enjoy the rig you have and find its limits when you find its limits then its time to upgrade those things. Or you realize it would be easier if you had this over that.

Just my .02
Thanks so much. All of that genuinely makes sense! Hearing a strange noise on the trail and not having a clue what's causing it is one of my biggest fears. So the logical solution is to learn my rig.
I'm a "read the manual" type guy, so I'll definitely do my research when I get a hi-lift. Thanks again for the advice!

Reactions: scubasteve2002

Gonzo1308

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello all, my names is juan but everyone called me Gonzo. I am a pretty experienced overlander/off roader. I have had some physical issues that have kept me from off reading and exploring since I moved home from SoCal where I was stationed at Camp Pendleton but I'm looking forward to getting back into it since my family really enjoys it.

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S with belly armor, upgraded front and rear bumpers, and it sits in 35 mud grapplers. I like them, they get nice and sticky on rocks and have a good tread pattern.

I'm now in woodland, just outside of Sacramento near Davis. I moved from SoCal and have no wheeling friends.

And like I said, I've had some experience with off reading. I enjoyed mudding as a younger guy, did some off road driving in Iraq and was able to attend an off road driving course in the mountains outside of Reno for work. I don't have a winch but I'm trained in recovery as well. I'm also a welder and a mechanic, but mostly focused towards heavy equipment and bush fixed.

I was forced into retirement from the Marine Corps and I am bored out of my mind. I'd really like to start going out again so if anyone in my area is planning a trip and I can fit it into my school schedule I'd love to go.

Looking forward to meeting some of y'all, I saw there is a meeting in the Bay Area TBD who do I need to talk to to be kept informed about it?

Edit: oh yeah, the first picture is of my jeep a week or so after I got it out with my club, the misfits. Second is my Toyota I got to cruise around in in Afghanistan. Probably the only armored 4x4 I'll ever see again and It was fully loaded, even had a mount for my M4. Last picture is me and my kiddos out on John Bull in Big Bear a few years ago.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Hello all, my names is juan but everyone called me Gonzo. I am a pretty experienced overlander/off roader. I have had some physical issues that have kept me from off reading and exploring since I moved home from SoCal where I was stationed at Camp Pendleton but I'm looking forward to getting back into it since my family really enjoys it.

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S with belly armor, upgraded front and rear bumpers, and it sits in 35 mud grapplers. I like them, they get nice and sticky on rocks and have a good tread pattern.

I'm now in woodland, just outside of Sacramento near Davis. I moved from SoCal and have no wheeling friends.

And like I said, I've had some experience with off reading. I enjoyed mudding as a younger guy, did some off road driving in Iraq and was able to attend an off road driving course in the mountains outside of Reno for work. I don't have a winch but I'm trained in recovery as well. I'm also a welder and a mechanic, but mostly focused towards heavy equipment and bush fixed.

I was forced into retirement from the Marine Corps and I am bored out of my mind. I'd really like to start going out again so if anyone in my area is planning a trip and I can fit it into my school schedule I'd love to go.

Looking forward to meeting some of y'all, I saw there is a meeting in the Bay Area TBD who do I need to talk to to be kept informed about it?

Edit: oh yeah, the first picture is of my jeep a week or so after I got it out with my club, the misfits. Second is my Toyota I got to cruise around in in Afghanistan. Probably the only armored 4x4 I'll ever see again and It was fully loaded, even had a mount for my M4. Last picture is me and my kiddos out on John Bull in Big Bear a few years ago.

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum! I wish I wasn't in Ohio so we could hang out. But who knows one day my wife and I might be out that way. Those Hiluxs are bad ass!!! There is a company here in Ohio that does testing on those. Being an engineer that would be my dream job to help out our troops and work on a Hilux.

Nice Jeep by the way!! What bumpers do you have?

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Welcome, we have a bunch of Sacramento members. Check out our weekly meet up we mostly sit around and bs. I also try and get out atleast once a month either on a day trip or over nighter look in the trip planning section for trips near you.

Reactions: Gonzo1308

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

Hi All, I'm checking in from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. I'm from the UK originally but have been out here for about 18 months. I hope to share many of my family adventures around the UAE and neighbouring Oman with this great community.

I'm driving a 2016 Ford Ranger. Its a 3.2l straight-5 diesel and still a pretty rare sight where I am.

I'm new overlanding but try to spend as many weekends as possible exploring the deserts and mountains with my wife and two kids.

14719569_696290293861948_1593084218550779904_n.jpg

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV

Oorah Marine. You shouldn't have any problems finding members in your general area........or they'll find you.

Semper Fi

MGG

Reactions: O.Dfj and Gonzo1308

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Hi All, I'm checking in from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. I'm from the UK originally but have been out here for about 18 months. I hope to share many of my family adventures around the UAE and neighbouring Oman with this great community.

I'm driving a 2016 Ford Ranger. Its a 3.2l straight-5 diesel and still a pretty rare sight where I am.

I'm new overlanding but try to spend as many weekends as possible exploring the deserts and mountains with my wife and two kids.

View attachment 11241
UGH! Jealous of your rig and where you're at.

Reactions: stuart.404

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Hi Everyone,

My name is Will
Current Vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Previous Vehicles: 2002 Toyota Tacoma, 2005 Toyota 4Runner, and 1974 FJ40 Land Cruiser
Overland Experience: Been into it for a little while now but always learning...
Why Overlanding?: I've loved nature since I was a kid, I grew up in Southern California and loved going to the mountains. As soon as I got my driver's license I would go to Mount Baldy and Big Bear all the time... I'd hike, go mountain biking, exploring a few back roads in my 1973 VW Beetle lol. This passion just continued to grow throughout the years...
You can read more detail of my story here: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/my-story.3585/

Reactions: Kelly and Byron Eby

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hi Everyone,

My name is Will
Current Vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Previous Vehicles: 2002 Toyota Tacoma, 2005 Toyota 4Runner, and 1974 FJ40 Land Cruiser
Overland Experience: Been into it for a little while now but always learning...
Why Overlanding?: I've loved nature since I was a kid, I grew up in Southern California and loved going to the mountains. As soon as I got my driver's license I would go to Mount Baldy and Big Bear all the time... I'd hike, go mountain biking, exploring a few back roads in my 1973 VW Beetle lol. This passion just continued to grow throughout the years...
You can read more detail of my story here: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/my-story.3585/
Welcome to OB

Gonzo1308

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum! I wish I wasn't in Ohio so we could hang out. But who knows one day my wife and I might be out that way. Those Hiluxs are bad ass!!! There is a company here in Ohio that does testing on those. Being an engineer that would be my dream job to help out our troops and work on a Hilux.

Nice Jeep by the way!! What bumpers do you have?
Those things were amazing and sturdy... I had them in some pretty interesting places. I am also a scuba diver, I just had a video done for MyPADI check it out.

Reactions: scubasteve2002