rhughes004

Rank 0

Contributor I

Chapin, SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hughes
Hello, new member and off-roading/overland newbie. I’m looking at the new 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands as a starting point when they finally hit the market. I’m currently “retired” and I live in South Carolina. My wife and I are looking forward to some adventuring and I’ve been scouring all the info I can find so I can be at least a little bit prepared. I found this group on YouTube so here we are.

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

rhughes004

Rank 0

Contributor I

Chapin, SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hughes
Howdy! I'm a new member located in San Antonio.

Last month I bought a local one-owner 2010 GX460 with 125,000 miles that was religiously serviced at the dealership. A few years ago I had a 2015 Tacoma OR, but sold it was (relatively) loud and slow for a daily, so I sold it after a year of ownership. I had been wanting a 4R, but after a bit of research, I found that the GX460 is a better blend of power, comfort, and utility for what I wanted to do.

Now I'm working on purchasing some basic 'GXOR' items (front/rear bumpers, suspension, wheel and tires), and am also actively looking for a Overland-type camper/trailer.

Anyone have some pointers to a local shop that can take care of powercoating the bumpers? Any good local shops that are familiar with installation of all those items on a GX460?

Thanks in advance,
George
If you’re looking at overland campers check out Opus Campers.

bowdy85

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Portland, TX 78374, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Bowden
Member #

Howdy from South Texas! Excited to join the community and get started. I grew up 4x4ing but am looking for new adventures with my son who is 11. Rig is a 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. Our initial overlanding trip was on Padre Island National Seashore but we are looking to hit some awesome trails in NM and farther out West.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Thomas (@bowdy85 ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

Reactions: Kent R

bowdy85

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Portland, TX 78374, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Bowden
Member #

Hello Thomas (@bowdy85 ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.
Nice to meet you Jon. Thanks for the links.

Garword

Rank II

Contributor III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Garwood
Last Name
Nichol
Member #

Hello OLB!

Local - Portland, OR USA.
My current car ( I don't believe it even remotely qualifies as a rig) is a 2007 Prius. No picture, you know what it looks like. :)

I am a novice overlander, I have done the variety of car camping ventures and last year I spent 9 months living in my van going to remote areas all around the western U.S. and Canada. I really love that trip but it was quickly apparent that I was in the Wrong vehicle for where I wanted to travel. After my latest trip out to Colorado it dawned on me what direction I want to go.

My goal is to build a safe capable budget overlander. My intention is to stay true to these 4 words. I am coming to the belief that my first build will be less of an overlander than a learning platform. I hope to learn from many of you and share what I learn for the next person.

Thanks
Garword

RoughRider1944

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Centerville, Ohio, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Hi, John here from Ohio. Been interested in adventuring for a long time, finally got the wife along for the venture of getting a capable SUV to modify. So here is our 2011 GX460... now looking for some advice, been to I8mud, and a few other you tubers, anyone else have some place to check out?
Looking to put sliders, a small lift~2” and then hopefully something in the 32-33” AT tires...maybe Coopers, maybe KO2s?
Welcome to Overland Bound John.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @James.Laidlaw & @Ohio Valley Overland
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
http://www.midwestoverlandfest.com/
Thanks Kent...retired (semi) Firefighter too. I found the update on your fires interesting. I heard you mention that you were on an IMT for Cal Fire! You guys have your act together out there. Hoping for a quick and safe end to this...

John Moore

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound, I am one of your U.S. West member representatives and if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me @Magic Mike. If the need arises you can also contact our Regional Director @Narbob

Make sure and browse the new member threads, for some great information and it will help you to navigate the Overland Bound website. Also keep an eye on the member calendar and Rally Points. These two sections will help you find upcoming local meetups, possible trainings and trail runs.

I look forward to meeting you out there on the trail.

Mike
Thank you Mike

New to the overland community but, exited for some adventure.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello OLB!

My current car ( I don't believe it even remotely qualifies as a rig) is a 2007 Prius. No picture, you know what it looks like. :)

I am a novice overlander, I have done the variety of car camping ventures and last year I spent 9 months living in my van going to remote areas all around the western U.S. and Canada. I really love that trip but it was quickly apparent that I was in the Wrong vehicle for where I wanted to travel. After my latest trip out to Colorado it dawned on me what direction I want to go.

My goal is to build a safe capable budget overlander. My intention is to stay true to these 4 words. I am coming to the belief that my first build will be less of an overlander than a learning platform. I hope to learn from many of you and share what I learn for the next person.

Thanks
Garword
Welcome to Overlanding,
I am the Northwest Director. @jcgraves3 is the Portland area Member Representative.

for all those that are new to Overlanding I advise to keep things as stock as possible. Make sure the maintenance is up to date, your tires have decent tread, and just get out there.
Get a 3 subject spiral bound notebook to keep a log of your trips in.
First subject is for your rig’s current state. Write down what you wish it could do better at, what limits it, what does it excel at. Make a list of your recovery gear in this section.
Second subject is for your camping gear. This list includes your current gear (use it as a packing checklist as well). Again take not of what’s working and not working for you.
The third subject is for general notes.

As you get out, keep a log as mentioned for one year... in one year you will know what needs to be done now, and what can be put off until later. Sometimes things we want/or think we need, might not be needed at all.

have any questions, feel free to DM me or @jcgraves3

once again welcome.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

jcgraves3

NorthWest Region Member Rep's Portland OR
Investor

Influencer I

Crescent City, Putnam County, Florida, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Hi Garword,

Welcome to Overland Bound!! I'm the Portland area rep. Feel free to reach out with any questions (we all love taking overland stuff). Also, there are many overland locations that are offload but don't require a 4WD, so keep your eye out on the Rally Point section with the 'Northwest' filter. Folks will provide details about the roads, destinations and type of vehicle capabilities required for the trip.

Cheers,

John

Reactions: Kent R and Garword

jcgraves3

NorthWest Region Member Rep's Portland OR
Investor

Influencer I

Crescent City, Putnam County, Florida, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Hi TJ,

Welcome to Overland Bound!! I'm the Portland area rep.. Just saw your post, so did your mail issue get resolved? Either way, reach out if you have any other questions, and I hope to meet you during a Rally Point trip or meetup one day.

Cheers,

John

Garword

Rank II

Contributor III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Garwood
Last Name
Nichol
Member #

Welcome to Overlanding,
I am the Northwest Director. @jcgraves3 is the Portland area Member Representative.

for all those that are new to Overlanding I advise to keep things as stock as possible. Make sure the maintenance is up to date, your tires have decent tread, and just get out there.
Get a 3 subject spiral bound notebook to keep a log of your trips in.
First subject is for your rig’s current state. Write down what you wish it could do better at, what limits it, what does it excel at. Make a list of your recovery gear in this section.
Second subject is for your camping gear. This list includes your current gear (use it as a packing checklist as well). Again take not of what’s working and not working for you.
The third subject is for general notes.

As you get out, keep a log as mentioned for one year... in one year you will know what needs to be done now, and what can be put off until later. Sometimes things we want/or think we need, might not be needed at all.

have any questions, feel free to DM me or @jcgraves3

once again welcome.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound
Thank you Mike. Good advise. I've started the inventory but in a spread sheet but I see the wisdom of the no tech note book. Hope you and yours are safe from the fires.

Reactions: Kent R and M Rose

Garword

Rank II

Contributor III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Garwood
Last Name
Nichol
Member #

Hi Garword,

Welcome to Overland Bound!! I'm the Portland area rep. Feel free to reach out with any questions (we all love taking overland stuff). Also, there are many overland locations that are offload but don't require a 4WD, so keep your eye out on the Rally Point section with the 'Northwest' filter. Folks will provide details about the roads, destinations and type of vehicle capabilities required for the trip.

Cheers,

John
Thank you! I am looking forward to meeting people on the trail. I will be sure to explore the rally point section. So much good stuff here. Hope you and your's are safe from the fires.

g

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you Mike. Good advise. I've started the inventory but in a spread sheet but I see the wisdom of the no tech note book. Hope you and yours are safe from the fires.
So far so good... we have a couple small fires just out of town, but we will be safe here... unless the fields catch on fire

10ECTaco

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Friendsville, TN, USA
First Name
R
Last Name
Stone
Greetings from E Tn. Not much of a "Overlander" background is mostly rock crawling.
Current rides 2003 Tj and shiny new 2020 Tacoma off road being built for longer more comfortable trips. Looking forward to meeting some new people and learning.

Reactions: Iwata77 and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Greetings from E Tn. Not much of a "Overlander" background is mostly rock crawling.
Current rides 2003 Tj and shiny new 2020 Tacoma off road being built for longer more comfortable trips. Looking forward to meeting some new people and learning.
Welcome To Overland Bound
Rock Crawling to Overlaning is a good conversion. Its actually way easier than most would think and its way easier on your body and vehicle.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Hank Outdoors in TN, great guy who plans lots of trips and meets.
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello OLB!

Thanks
Garword
Welcome to Overland Bound
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Howdy from South Texas! Excited to join the community and get started. I grew up 4x4ing but am looking for new adventures with my son who is 11. Rig is a 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. Our initial overlanding trip was on Padre Island National Seashore but we are looking to hit some awesome trails in NM and farther out West.
Welcome to Overland Bound
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello, new member and off-roading/overland newbie. I’m looking at the new 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands as a starting point when they finally hit the market. I’m currently “retired” and I live in South Carolina. My wife and I are looking forward to some adventuring and I’ve been scouring all the info I can find so I can be at least a little bit prepared. I found this group on YouTube so here we are.
Welcome To Overland Bound
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @JRElaxED & @Zombie