Rank II

Enthusiast I

Willows, CA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Seeman
Member #

I've been to Stonyford a lot, even used to live there. Talked to a usfs employee yesterday, he said no camping all the way to the Oregon border. Although he said dispersed camping was still allowed. It will be interesting to see how it looks after all this is over.

Reactions: Kent R

RoughRider1944

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Centerville, Ohio, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Hi, John here from Ohio. Been interested in adventuring for a long time, finally got the wife along for the venture of getting a capable SUV to modify. So here is our 2011 GX460... now looking for some advice, been to I8mud, and a few other you tubers, anyone else have some place to check out?
Looking to put sliders, a small lift~2” and then hopefully something in the 32-33” AT tires...maybe Coopers, maybe KO2s?

Attachments

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

RoughRider1944

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Centerville, Ohio, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Howdy! I'm a new member located in San Antonio.

Last month I bought a local one-owner 2010 GX460 with 125,000 miles that was religiously serviced at the dealership. A few years ago I had a 2015 Tacoma OR, but sold it was (relatively) loud and slow for a daily, so I sold it after a year of ownership. I had been wanting a 4R, but after a bit of research, I found that the GX460 is a better blend of power, comfort, and utility for what I wanted to do.

Now I'm working on purchasing some basic 'GXOR' items (front/rear bumpers, suspension, wheel and tires), and am also actively looking for a Overland-type camper/trailer.

Anyone have some pointers to a local shop that can take care of powercoating the bumpers? Any good local shops that are familiar with installation of all those items on a GX460?

Thanks in advance,
George

RoughRider1944

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Centerville, Ohio, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Looks like we are going down the same path...I just got a 2011 with 135K... I would be interested in hearing what you find out and what you end up deciding on. I’m looking at, but have not decided yet on 2” lift, sliders really like the CBI ones that they made for the Lexus GXOR concept vehicle (too bad they don’t have the Lexus name on them) and 32-33” tires. Maybe a winch behind the factory bumper? Have you seen that? I like what XOverland did with their 4runners.
Anyways good luck and share your journey!

John Moore

Reactions: Kent R and lab_rat

overland_fam

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Wasatch County, Utah, United States
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Randall
Member #

Hello from Arizona!

My family and I recently relocated from New York City to Arizona and have contracted the “Overland bug”. We’ve been building out a 2018 Jeep JLUR over the past several months and have really enjoyed spending time in the great outdoors — something we missed while in the big city.

We’re still newbies but we’re excited to get more involved with the overland bound community.

See you on the trail!

Attachments

lab_rat

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
W
Looks like we are going down the same path...I just got a 2011 with 135K... I would be interested in hearing what you find out and what you end up deciding on. I’m looking at, but have not decided yet on 2” lift, sliders really like the CBI ones that they made for the Lexus GXOR concept vehicle (too bad they don’t have the Lexus name on them) and 32-33” tires. Maybe a winch behind the factory bumper? Have you seen that? I like what XOverland did with their 4runners.

John Moore
Nice! What color did you get? I've got a 'Cashmire Satin Metallic' with the darker brown interior. It's a base model with 3rd zone A/C, non-airbag rear suspension. I'm happy with it so far - a smooth and quiet ride and I've seen upwards of 20mpg while crusing at 65/70mph on I-35...not too bad considering the weight/size/shape.

As far as the upgrades I'm think of...I'm open to different setups, but this is what I've pretty much settled on:

•Sliders: Victory4x4, w/colormatch powdercoating
•Roof Rack: Victory4x4
•Skids: Victory4x4 skids (raw aluminum)
•Front bumper: Trail Ready, w/colormatch powdercoating
•Rear bumper: Dobinson rear bumper (w/dual swingouts), w/colormatch powdercoating
•Suspension: Dobinson 2", heavy duty springs front and rear, non-external reservior dampers, front UCA, rear upper/lower CA, diff-drop kit
•Rear drawer setup: undecided between GooseGear or Dobinsons
•Wheels: EvoCorse 'Dakar Zero' wheels, 18" (undecided on color)
•Tires (275/70r18)....undecided but most likely between Yokohama Geolander or Nitto TerraGrappler tires
•Dobinson snorkel
•Winch...undecided, but synthetic line is a definite
•Other odds-n-ends are still up in the air for addition later (on board compressor, upgraded audio/permanently mounted comms, upgrade lighting, etc)

I'm getting ready to burn through some money LOL

RoughRider1944

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Centerville, Ohio, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moore
Member #

John Moore
Nice! What color did you get? I've got a 'Cashmire Satin Metallic' with the darker brown interior. It's a base model with 3rd zone A/C, non-airbag rear suspension. I'm happy with it so far - a smooth and quiet ride and I've seen upwards of 20mpg while crusing at 65/70mph on I-35...not too bad considering the weight/size/shape.

As far as the upgrades I'm think of...I'm open to different setups, but this is what I've pretty much settled on:

•Sliders: Victory4x4, w/colormatch powdercoating
•Roof Rack: Victory4x4
•Skids: Victory4x4 skids (raw aluminum)
•Front bumper: Trail Ready, w/colormatch powdercoating
•Rear bumper: Dobinson rear bumper (w/dual swingouts), w/colormatch powdercoating
•Suspension: Dobinson 2", heavy duty springs front and rear, non-external reservior dampers, front UCA, rear upper/lower CA, diff-drop kit
•Rear drawer setup: undecided between GooseGear or Dobinsons
•Wheels: EvoCorse 'Dakar Zero' wheels, 18" (undecided on color)
•Tires (275/70r18)....undecided but most likely between Yokohama Geolander or Nitto TerraGrappler tires
•Dobinson snorkel
•Winch...undecided, but synthetic line is a definite
•Other odds-n-ends are still up in the air for addition later (on board compressor, upgraded audio/permanently mounted comms, upgrade lighting, etc)

I'm getting ready to burn through some money LOL
Wow!
You are way ahead of me...
I got the Knight’s armor pearl, with a light interior...probably not the best choice for overlanding...but It was in good shape with convenience and comfort packages, and in good shape so...I pulled the trigger.

Good luck with the build, and keep us updated...

Reactions: Kent R and lab_rat

RainyDave

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minneapolis, MN
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Kraai
Hey ya'll. I'm from Minneapolis area and just getting into this whole overlanding concept. I'm not much of a 'mechnical' guy (I'm a carpenter), but I want to learn and I love the outdoors so this seemed to be a great fit for me to get some adventuring in and also connect with my young son who loves cars.

I just put down a deposit on the new Bronco. It'll be my first rig. I'm currently driving a 2007 Chevy pickup for work and looking for a 'fun' rig. Man, did they got me with the Bronco. It's sweet looking inside and out.

Curious if anyone on here has any suggestions on best places to get started in Minnesota or the Upper Midwest in general? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Contributor I

Rio de Janeiro
First Name
Andre
Last Name
Philippe
I just put down a deposit on the new Bronco. It'll be my first rig.
Oh you spoiled man! Hahah! Starting out with one of the best options right now! I'm a Chevy guy but the (classic) Bronco is just undeniably good and this new one is certainly promising to raise the bar for the category! Welcome!
Edit: Any idea when you will get it?

Contributor I

Rio de Janeiro
First Name
Andre
Last Name
Philippe
We’ve been building out a 2018 Jeep JLUR over the past several months and have really enjoyed spending time in the great outdoors
Welcome Nick! Oh, this models is nice platform! In fact there are some that went on round-the-world on them! You might want to check the "the road chose me" channel on YT, he has conquered Africa on it and have lots of tips

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Aloha from nothwest Oregon! I have been slowly building a 2014 Outback as my overlander. This car has not failed me yet even when I had to get myself out of a pickle.
Welcome Elizabeth,
I am the Director for the Northwest Region. @jcgraves3 is your closest Member Representatives.

Be sure to keep an eye on Overland By Region < North America < Us Northwest for news and information regarding the Northwest. Overland abound Member Maps is a great tool to help connect with members local to you as well as plan trips, find nearby recourses, or send messages of distress. The Rally Point (often referred to as an RP) is the only tool like it in the Overlanding Community. With an RP you can set up a community based event, expedition, or a general meetup. RPs automatically post in Overland Bound Meetups. At the top of the page select the northwest filter to see upcoming events through out the Northwest.
C2963AFC-40C3-485C-A4A8-430029E199BF.png

Once again welcome Elizabeth. Feel free to message myself or Christina and John (@jcgraves3) with any questions or comments you might have.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

Reactions: Cascadia and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey ya'll. I'm from Minneapolis area and just getting into this whole overlanding concept. I'm not much of a 'mechnical' guy (I'm a carpenter), but I want to learn and I love the outdoors so this seemed to be a great fit for me to get some adventuring in and also connect with my young son who loves cars.

I just put down a deposit on the new Bronco. It'll be my first rig. I'm currently driving a 2007 Chevy pickup for work and looking for a 'fun' rig. Man, did they got me with the Bronco. It's sweet looking inside and out.

Curious if anyone on here has any suggestions on best places to get started in Minnesota or the Upper Midwest in general? Looking forward to hearing from you!
Welcome to Overland Bound
Yes the Bronco looks great, cant wait to see one in person
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @toxicity_27
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
http://www.midwestoverlandfest.com/

Reactions: toxicity_27

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Aloha from nothwest Oregon! I have been slowly building a 2014 Outback as my overlander. This car has not failed me yet even when I had to get myself out of a pickle.
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello from Arizona!

My family and I recently relocated from New York City to Arizona and have contracted the “Overland bug”. We’ve been building out a 2018 Jeep JLUR over the past several months and have really enjoyed spending time in the great outdoors — something we missed while in the big city.

We’re still newbies but we’re excited to get more involved with the overland bound community.

See you on the trail!
Hope to see you at Overland Expo West next year in Flagstaff.
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Prerunner1982
Your Regional Director is @brien for additional help or information. Brien is in Tucson and can help you find the local meet-ups
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi, John here from Ohio. Been interested in adventuring for a long time, finally got the wife along for the venture of getting a capable SUV to modify. So here is our 2011 GX460... now looking for some advice, been to I8mud, and a few other you tubers, anyone else have some place to check out?
Looking to put sliders, a small lift~2” and then hopefully something in the 32-33” AT tires...maybe Coopers, maybe KO2s?
Welcome to Overland Bound John.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @James.Laidlaw & @Ohio Valley Overland
http://www.midwestoverlandfest.com/

Reactions: RoughRider1944

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I've been to Stonyford a lot, even used to live there. Talked to a usfs employee yesterday, he said no camping all the way to the Oregon border. Although he said dispersed camping was still allowed. It will be interesting to see how it looks after all this is over.
All the forests are completely closed in CA as of 1700 hrs on Wednesday the 9th

rhughes004

Rank 0

Contributor I

Chapin, SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hughes
Hello, new member and off-roading/overland newbie. I’m looking at the new 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands as a starting point when they finally hit the market. I’m currently “retired” and I live in South Carolina. My wife and I are looking forward to some adventuring and I’ve been scouring all the info I can find so I can be at least a little bit prepared. I found this group on YouTube so here we are.

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

rhughes004

Rank 0

Contributor I

Chapin, SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hughes
Howdy! I'm a new member located in San Antonio.

Last month I bought a local one-owner 2010 GX460 with 125,000 miles that was religiously serviced at the dealership. A few years ago I had a 2015 Tacoma OR, but sold it was (relatively) loud and slow for a daily, so I sold it after a year of ownership. I had been wanting a 4R, but after a bit of research, I found that the GX460 is a better blend of power, comfort, and utility for what I wanted to do.

Now I'm working on purchasing some basic 'GXOR' items (front/rear bumpers, suspension, wheel and tires), and am also actively looking for a Overland-type camper/trailer.

Anyone have some pointers to a local shop that can take care of powercoating the bumpers? Any good local shops that are familiar with installation of all those items on a GX460?

Thanks in advance,
George
If you’re looking at overland campers check out Opus Campers.