Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
My name is Rene

1. Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 RST 2019
2. Central Valley, Ca
3. I am new to overlanding for sure still trying to build a rig to start taking my boys out weekend warrior style. I am totally down to get into group/rally point trips. building on a budget and the truck is my everyday truck so it would be something I can remove easily. I welcome all suggestions of gear for me or my truck.
Hey Rene

I am the Bay Area member rep, but I know a thing or two about the Central Valley as I just moved from the CV to the Bay Area a couple months ago. Probably the closest meet up for you is north of you in Ripon CA on the third Sunday of the month. They meet at Mountain Mike’s Pizza 1-3pm. Here’s the info, let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: Kent R

kaine ellis

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Monticello, GA, USA
First Name
kaine
Last Name
ellis
Member #

Hey Ob Crew,

New to Overlanding but love camping, fishing, and hiking. Looking to get my 4x4 Silverado RST set up as a rig. I got a wife and kids and am looking for budget friendly things always surfin for overlanding gear deals let me know what you would say are the basic needs
Welcome

Minotaur66

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kent, England.
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Coombs
Hi All,

Chris here, looking forward to learning, sharing and making friends, both home and abroad.

Rig: Looking at LR Discovery 4
Ovderlanding Experience Background: Experienced - London to CapeTown 98-2001

Last edited:

Sea Life

Rank 0

Contributor I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
McGonigle
Hello,

Where to start? Here’s the short version:
Had 2 jeeps that I off-roaded before trading last one for old Land Rover. Really don’t off-road anymore due to scarcity of parts etc. Can’t afford to have too many hobbies at one time and do them all well. So used to be 4 wheeling and backpacking, then motorcycles, then boats. Last adventure was 3+ years on current boat through Central and South America, and Eastern Caribbean. My wife kept a website: www.caribbeansealife.com. Kinda like over landing but on the water! Land Rover sat in container while gone, started right up on my return. I have no interest or finances at this time to mess with my mostly original truck.

The point:
I am between jobs at the moment (deciding on return date), and was looking for something to do away from the water (as literally my life has been waterworld for 3 yrs.). The transAmerica trail has caught my eye. Not taking old LR, rental jeep probably a bad option (unless maybe just MABDR). Anyway looking for a ride I guess.

Me:
44 yr old married male, mechanically inclined and experienced, drinker, non smoker, backpacking and 4wd experience. Been around the block a time or two, no lack of interesting stories, Friends joke I’m an old soul, I say its not the years but the milage :)

Attachments

zony

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prunedale CA, USA
First Name
marc
Last Name
oehlman
Member #

Good day from Monterey, CA. After lurking for a while, I have joined finally! I've never been much of a "club" person, but the community and information herein beckoned :) I've been driving off-road for roughly 40 years, although I am not a serious rock-crawler by any means - I'd rate myself as so-so in experience. I started with a '43 Willy's, moved to a '78 CJ5, then an '81 Toyota 4x4 pickup, and for the last 15+ years, my '71 Land Rover Series IIa 88 (Zony).

Zony runs on a 2.25 ltr petrol with an 8:1 compression head, a transplanted Series III transmission and transfer case, and stock 16" steel rims running BFG AT's. It's loud, cold (or hot), runs on 6 fuses, and is amazingly slow (6 hour trip to get donuts). Looking forward to learning and sharing...
Marc (and Natty)

Attachments

Yota_Tundra74

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Tigard, OR, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Opperud
Member #

Welcome Jon,
I am the Northwest Regional Director. @Munga Brown (Oregon), @Gabriel Bozeman (Washington) , and @Sandpoint Steve (Idaho) are your regional member representatives.
2020 is a busy year here for the Northwest Region. We have several reoccurring monthly meetups, a few trips planned, and new Rally Points popping up daily it seams. @Spud.Built is trying to put a group together in the Portland area. You might try and contacting him to see what he might have planned this month.

This weekend Puyallup, Washington has back to back events. First on March 7th is one of the oldest HAM swap meets in the Northwest. If you are interested in learning more about HAM, I highly suggest checking out the Mike and Keys Hamfest and swap meet. The second event is the Moonshiners 4 Wheel Drive and Performance Off-road Swap Meet. It is supposed to be a huge meet with lots of venders, raffles, and food.

March 14th is the first Southern Oregon NorCal Meetup in Grants Pass. Members from surrounding areas are talking about adding a campout to the event. For more information contact @Big G.

For a full list of events, check out Member Meetups as like I said stuff is happening all the time.

Overland By Region is a great spot to see what is happening in your Region.

Mike Rose
Northwest Regional Director
Overland Bound
Thanks Mike I appreciate the information

Reactions: Kent R and M Rose

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Good day from Monterey, CA. After lurking for a while, I have joined finally! I've never been much of a "club" person, but the community and information herein beckoned :) I've been driving off-road for roughly 40 years, although I am not a serious rock-crawler by any means - I'd rate myself as so-so in experience. I started with a '43 Willy's, moved to a '78 CJ5, then an '81 Toyota 4x4 pickup, and for the last 15+ years, my '71 Land Rover Series IIa 88 (Zony).

Zony runs on a 2.25 ltr petrol with an 8:1 compression head, a transplanted Series III transmission and transfer case, and stock 16" steel rims running BFG AT's. It's loud, cold (or hot), runs on 6 fuses, and is amazingly slow (6 hour trip to get donuts). Looking forward to learning and sharing...
Marc (and Natty)
Hi Marc, glad to welcome you to the OB community as a member.

Taco_runner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Cocoa, Florida, United States
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martines
Member #

Hey ya'll,
New member here, born and raised in Texas, currently stationed in Germany. Purchased a new 2012 toyota tacoma drove it till a year ago when I sold it after getting stationed overseas. While out here I managed to find a stock 2002 4Runner US spec with just over 200k miles on it. Have many plans for it, first hoping to lift and install 33s come July. See where it goes from there.
Absolute novice at overlanding, love camping but never done it with a vehicle, mostly state parks and well manicured camping areas. Excited to see where my truck will take me, especially in Europe, then stateside once my time is done in Germany.

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey ya'll,
New member here, born and raised in Texas, currently stationed in Germany. Purchased a new 2012 toyota tacoma drove it till a year ago when I sold it after getting stationed overseas. While out here I managed to find a stock 2002 4Runner US spec with just over 200k miles on it. Have many plans for it, first hoping to lift and install 33s come July. See where it goes from there.
Absolute novice at overlanding, love camping but never done it with a vehicle, mostly state parks and well manicured camping areas. Excited to see where my truck will take me, especially in Europe, then stateside once my time is done in Germany.
Welcome Jose. @Robert OB 33/48 a member rep for the Mid-Europe Region. He is a wealth of information. @Polaris Overland is the regional director... also a wealth of information.

keep those boots on the ground, come home safe

Last edited:

malenurse

Rank II

Enthusiast II

disputanta, va
First Name
wil
Last Name
havens
Hello all,

my GF and I are building an overland trailer and we have a duo setup for some ate adventures this summer. She has a 2014 Jeep Wrangler that is lifted and will pull the camping trailer, and I have a 2017 Titan that will pull the ATV trailer or the 1971 Scout 800... all depending where and what we are planning to get into. I am here to learn from other people about what setups have worked well from them and to learn what not to do,

Cheers!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all,

my GF and I are building an overland trailer and we have a duo setup for some ate adventures this summer. She has a 2014 Jeep Wrangler that is lifted and will pull the camping trailer, and I have a 2017 Titan that will pull the ATV trailer or the 1971 Scout 800... all depending where and what we are planning to get into. I am here to learn from other people about what setups have worked well from them and to learn what not to do,

Cheers!
Welcome to Overland Bound!
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Overland Expo East is this October. About EAST — Overland Expo®
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey ya'll,
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Polaris Overland for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Robert OB 33/48

There are several large overlanding shows coming up in Europe, contact the Regional Director of Member Rep for more information.

Reactions: Taco_runner

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Marc (and Natty)
Welcome to Overland Bound Marc & Natty
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representatives; Bay Area @PapaDave, Sac/Foothills @Magic Mike, North State @Cottonwoody
Overland Expo West is this May About WEST — Overland Expo®
Check out the Overland Expo happening in Loveland CO this August;
About MOUNTAIN WEST — Overland Expo®

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi All,

Chris here, looking forward to learning, sharing and making friends, both home and abroad.

Rig: Looking at LR Discovery 4
Ovderlanding Experience Background: Experienced - London to CapeTown 98-2001

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Polaris Overland for help or information. The Regional Director can also get you in touch with a Member Representative that might be close to you and have local information.