Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Well finally after having my medallion for quite a while I finally have a running vehicle to put it on, if not the one I'd planned to put it on. I've had a '93 FZJ80 for several years but I didn't know the broken timing chain guide when i bought it, nor did I realize other issues it had. It's currently in MANY pieces and the bare rolling frame is taking up my shop floor. I've been looking for a new vehicle for over a year now and had mostly been looking at early 2nd Gen Tundras and 100 Series LC. Neither pop up at reasonable prices if at all in my area and every time one has it was gone or too roached out, but then, I came across a super clean '08 GX470 in Salsa red w 156k for a good price. I had to get it. It's has basically no rust on it save a little on the exhaust, some maybe, maybe not surface on the axle and the battery tray where the battery they put in has leaked. It needs to have the 90 timing belt/water pump service done and I'm going to baseline the rest of it myself. I'm going to leave it stock for a bit while I make a decision whether to abandon the and part the 80 and build the GX or keep the GX as a stock travel light overlander and build the 80 as a hard core overlander, possibly with the 6bt Cummins from my 2500 that is in rough shape. Main thing for me though is it's been nearly 2 years since I've had a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get in and drive anywhere beyond the city limits so I'm excited. I got it just in time to go to OEE this weekend. Anyways look forward to seeing others up at OEE this weekend.

'08 Lexus GX470

If I choose to build out the GX current planned build as follows:
Total Chaos LT front, harrop lockers rear, maybe front as well, rear drawers and Prinsu rack, full skids sliders winch bumper and rear bumper w swing out. There are other items as well but most all of will take time and may never be done to the GX is I decide to keep it pristine and build the 80. I also have been looking at fabricating a offroad tear drop at a later date as well

I've been wheeling for many years though it's been a while since I've been able to go for various reasons. My main of road rig has been a '87 Samurai Rock buggy that I built over a number of years and iterations. Currently it has a 2.0L engine and trans swap from a Vitara that I build a turbo setup for. Yota truck axles and a dual tcase setup. Unfortunately this spring, after finally resolving some issues with my piggy back efi controller I blew the engine doing a tuning pull when I didn't realize the boost adjuster had gotten open to full and it hit at least 18psi, likely causing a detonation.
Well you have a great vehicle now to drive again! What about doing Stealing the front axle on the 80, and doing a SAS, to your GX? Vance.

Roy & Kristin Zirpoli

US NorthWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kirbyville, Texas
First Name
PoManOutdoorCollective
Last Name
Zirpoli
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Roy & Kristin Zirpoli

We live in Salem Oregon. We love camping and off reading so this seems like the next step. We drive a 2017 Jeep Cherokee, not the best rig for this but will upgrade in time. We are currently building an adventure trailer to pull behind. Roy is 46 and Kristin is 45. We are very excited to become members and hope to make some new lifelong friends. Our daughter Victoria is usually in tow and she is 15. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Well Good Evening, This is my rig currently. I recently lost my previous Tundra to an accident. However it allowed me to update to my current Tundra.
Make: Toyota
Model: Tundra
Year: 2010
Edition: Rock Warrior
My Experience as an Overlander: I say newbie, but my camping experience medium to high,my love of the out doors high.
Background: Well that's kinda funny. I am a ScoutMaster currently and love it. Been in some beautiful areas in Missouri mainly. Have traveled with my family to a lot of national parks. We love each and every hike we go on. I will try to post some pics of our adventure as appropriate.
More about my Rig: The pics below kinda tell it all. I am adding more stuff as I need it.
Future: Have not gone to a Overlanding get together yet. I think that would be fun. I go about once a month with my son and just camp out and do some hiking, biking, floating, and some fishing. Plan to do more as time allows.
Found some good info on this site before I became a member. I have used it well in adjusting my Overlanding setup.
Well I look forward to getting to know you all and learn more about the Adventure you all take. Thanks
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

If you have any questions message your regional ambassador or you can contact me on the forum

@Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all, new member here in NorCal/Sacramento area. Into exploring, just got some new tires :)

There are two meet-up’s in your area if you are interested, both are on the meet-up page of the forum and the calendar.

Sierra Foothills Overlanders monthly meeting.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-sierra-foothills-overlanders-monthly-olb-meet-up-meeting-10-16-2018.19941/

Sacramento weekly meet-up.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sacramento-weekly-meet-up.3332/

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Roy & Kristin Zirpoli

We live in Salem Oregon. We love camping and off reading so this seems like the next step. We drive a 2017 Jeep Cherokee, not the best rig for this but will upgrade in time. We are currently building an adventure trailer to pull behind. Roy is 46 and Kristin is 45. We are very excited to become members and hope to make some new lifelong friends. Our daughter Victoria is usually in tow and she is 15. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.
There is a meet-up in Portland each month if thats not to far for you.

Roy & Kristin Zirpoli

US NorthWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kirbyville, Texas
First Name
PoManOutdoorCollective
Last Name
Zirpoli
Member #

Service Branch
Army

There is a meet-up in Portland each month if thats not to far for you.
Thank you

Camnite

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mobile
Member #

Hello fellow wrench spinners, just wanted to step out of the shadow of the lurker and become a member. I currently live on the Alabama gulf coast and am building up a square body chevy suburban to go have fun in. To the guys who talked to me at the overland expo east, thank you for letting me talk your ears off and stay dry.

trifreemc

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA
Member #

Hello fellow wrench spinners, just wanted to step out of the shadow of the lurker and become a member. I currently live on the Alabama gulf coast and am building up a square body chevy suburban to go have fun in. To the guys who talked to me at the overland expo east, thank you for letting me talk your ears off and stay dry.
I'm in Birmingham and have started turning my 05 Suburban into my adventure camping rig.

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Welcome from the west coast.

Reactions: Maccaneer

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

If you have any questions message your regional ambassador or you can contact me on the forum

@Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi, don’t have anything special; 94 Range Rover Classic LWB, as the dd, and 93 Range Rover LWB as the toy, lake city Florida is where I’m at. Hope to meet others in the area!

@Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone, I am in Central Kentucky area and a novice to overlanding (well civilian version). The rig below is my first and is a 2017 4Runner SR5 named GARRO (WH40k ref.), so far added rain guards and floor mats. Any advice, tips, or info about overlanding in my area is appreciated. Thanks!!

View attachment 76017

@Kent R

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Even stock you have a very capable rig. Part of the reason they are popular. My advice would be to get out there and build as you see you need things. It is very easy to go buy all the gearz and bolt on the stufz, but really you don’t need a lot, especially when just starting out. Grab a tent, some food, a cooler, a sleeping bag and get out there. The more you go, the more you build your needs vs wants list and let that guide you in you build.

Piratewilly

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
Hey everybody. My name's John DiMo.

I live in Bakersfield, CA.

My rig is a 2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic (KK). It has a 2 inch Daystar spacer kit with P255/70R16 Toyo AT II

This is my first 4wd vehicle and have only just started offroading but have been an outdoorsman my whole life so my overlanding experience is limited but I'm very familiar with being in nature. FB_IMG_1542075455149.jpeg20181013_104620.jpegIMG_20181112_083453_156.jpeg

WanderingXV

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

FL
First Name
Julian
Last Name
Maldonado
Member #

Hi Everyone, I'm down in Florida and just starting out with the Overland experience. I have a Subaru XV Crosstrek and am looking forward to sharing my build and learning weight and space saving techniques as I progress and connecting with others in North Florida to explore local trails, thanks!