Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have a question on what kinda of truck is best for overlanding. I have always had a ford truck, and a Jeep. I am building a truck camper for weekend get aways and long trips. So my mine question is what truck are best and how do most of you keep your food cold?
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all, my name is Jimmy Nicholson and live in Baton Rouge, LA. I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler. I am working on acquiring all the Jeep Badge of Honors right now then continuing my bucket list. My ultimate goal is to take my family as far as I can drive in any given direction in North America then will move on to other areas once completed. Look forward to meeting everyone I can.

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

If you have any questions message your regional ambassador or you can contact me on the forum

@Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
hey everyone, im new to the idea of overlanding and love the possibilities. I'm in Spokane, WA i drive a 1989 jeep Comanche. i have little to none experience in overlanding but have quite a bit of experience off roading. id like to build a rig just for overlanding, im looking into getting a stock jeep xj to mod into what i want, any tips for where to start would be awesome.

The Inland-northwest meet-up conference call happens the third Sunday of the month, and they are also having several trail runs this summer. If your interested here is the forum link.https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/inland-northwest-conference-call-06-17-2018.13703/

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone! Glad to be here.

1) Living in San Jose
2) I have a 14' Dodge Ram 1500.
3) Overlanding Experience is fairly basic. I'm an outdoor enthusiast just like the rest of you. I have yet to really take my truck off road and I'm just starting to explore new areas with little to no population. Looking forward to meeting new people, continue exploring and building my overlanding necessities.

There are several meet-ups in your area, so if your interested check out the meet-up page of the forum.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Well finally after having my medallion for quite a while I finally have a running vehicle to put it on, if not the one I'd planned to put it on. I've had a '93 FZJ80 for several years but I didn't know the broken timing chain guide when i bought it, nor did I realize other issues it had. It's currently in MANY pieces and the bare rolling frame is taking up my shop floor. I've been looking for a new vehicle for over a year now and had mostly been looking at early 2nd Gen Tundras and 100 Series LC. Neither pop up at reasonable prices if at all in my area and every time one has it was gone or too roached out, but then, I came across a super clean '08 GX470 in Salsa red w 156k for a good price. I had to get it. It's has basically no rust on it save a little on the exhaust, some maybe, maybe not surface on the axle and the battery tray where the battery they put in has leaked. It needs to have the 90 timing belt/water pump service done and I'm going to baseline the rest of it myself. I'm going to leave it stock for a bit while I make a decision whether to abandon the and part the 80 and build the GX or keep the GX as a stock travel light overlander and build the 80 as a hard core overlander, possibly with the 6bt Cummins from my 2500 that is in rough shape. Main thing for me though is it's been nearly 2 years since I've had a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get in and drive anywhere beyond the city limits so I'm excited. I got it just in time to go to OEE this weekend. Anyways look forward to seeing others up at OEE this weekend.

'08 Lexus GX470

If I choose to build out the GX current planned build as follows:
Total Chaos LT front, harrop lockers rear, maybe front as well, rear drawers and Prinsu rack, full skids sliders winch bumper and rear bumper w swing out. There are other items as well but most all of will take time and may never be done to the GX is I decide to keep it pristine and build the 80. I also have been looking at fabricating a offroad tear drop at a later date as well

I've been wheeling for many years though it's been a while since I've been able to go for various reasons. My main of road rig has been a '87 Samurai Rock buggy that I built over a number of years and iterations. Currently it has a 2.0L engine and trans swap from a Vitara that I build a turbo setup for. Yota truck axles and a dual tcase setup. Unfortunately this spring, after finally resolving some issues with my piggy back efi controller I blew the engine doing a tuning pull when I didn't realize the boost adjuster had gotten open to full and it hit at least 18psi, likely causing a detonation.

If you have any questions message your regional ambassador or you can contact me on the forum

@Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
WELCOME!!! Sorry if I missed anyone
I think I am caught up.

We have been off the grid for the last 6 days in Death Valley on an epic trip with lots of great OB members.

Last edited:

Red Stick

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello

I’ve been browsing the forum for a few months and finally decided to join up.

My family moved from Louisiana to North Idaho about a year and a half ago and with so many great places to go within a days drive I’ve decided we should get the truck set up for camping.

Here it is, a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2 Z71.

E9914C31-961F-41B2-AF6D-8A340331247F.jpeg

It has a 2.25” front level, the ARE topper, and a bed rug. It also has those oem 22” wheels, that are garbage on all but the smoothest roads, which are being replaced with 18” methods when my winter set of blizzaks come off in the spring.

Anyway I’ll be asking about RTTs and I’m sure many other topics soon as well. Looking forward to it.

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Hello

My family moved from Louisiana to North Idaho about a year and a half ago and with so many great places to go within a days drive I’ve decided we should get the truck set up for camping.

View attachment 75262

It has a 2.25” front level, the ARE topper, and a bed rug. It also has those oem 22” wheels, that are garbage on all but the smoothest roads, which are being replaced with 18” methods when my winter set of blizzaks come off in the spring.

Anyway I’ll be asking about RTTs and I’m sure many other topics soon as well. Looking forward to it.
Welcome!

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
hey everyone, im new to the idea of overlanding and love the possibilities. I'm in Spokane, WA i drive a 1989 jeep Comanche. i have little to none experience in overlanding but have quite a bit of experience off roading. id like to build a rig just for overlanding, im looking into getting a stock jeep xj to mod into what i want, any tips for where to start would be awesome.
Welcome fellow Washington resident!

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Hi guys!
Another new face here and greetings from the Frozen Northern Wasteland.
I'm driving an '04 Ford F350 PS. Kind of a compromise vehicle, but when I'm not out on adventures with the dog, I pull a gooseneck in the summer and push a plow in the winter.
Specs: Detroit Locker on 4.10 gears in a corporate 10.25" rear and open (for the time being) diff in a Dana 60 front.
Warn manual hub locker kit (because Ford ESOF).
285/75 (33") Kelly AT rubber
A handfull of Motorola business HTs in the console (gotta love eBay).
Whatever gear I think I'll need for the current excursion in the bed.
A stupid red coonhound in the back seat.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

IMG_0351.jpg

Shwell

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
Hello from Florida..

Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller here in Central Florida. Enjoying Life as it presents itself.

2018 Toyota 4Runner ORP work in progress.. Tons to be done, but more importantly, more trails to hit!
Completely new to the Overlanding lifestyle, but I think I am already addicted to it.

All exterior/interior Lights upgraded
Yakima Mega Warrior
Awning
And an '88 Dodge Dakota Bed converted to a camper

Attachments

Last edited:

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

And an '88 Dodge Dakota Bed converted to a camper
Funny you should say that. As a kid growing up in southern California, I didn't know you were allowed to buy professionally built utility trailers. Everyone just hacked a pickup in half and added a tongue. After moving to the land where you can sit on your porch and watch things rust, I find I was mistaken. lol.

Reactions: Shwell

mattgagnonphoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Montana, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7CYM

@Kent R
Thanks Kent! Appreciate you pointing me in that direction!

Shwell

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
Funny you should say that. As a kid growing up in southern California, I didn't know you were allowed to buy professionally built utility trailers. Everyone just hacked a pickup in half and added a tongue. After moving to the land where you can sit on your porch and watch things rust, I find I was mistaken. lol.
As a NY'r I never even considered it. lol
This setup was something that I saw on a FB Group and the price was perfect for my budget. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello

View attachment 75262

The Inland-northwest meet-up conference call happens the third Sunday of the month, and they are also having several trail runs this summer. If your interested here is the forum link.https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/inland-northwest-conference-call-06-17-2018.13703/