Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Greenwell Springs, Central, LA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

Hello all, my name is Jimmy Nicholson and live in Baton Rouge, LA. I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler. I am working on acquiring all the Jeep Badge of Honors right now then continuing my bucket list. My ultimate goal is to take my family as far as I can drive in any given direction in North America then will move on to other areas once completed. Look forward to meeting everyone I can.

Contributor III

hey everyone, im new to the idea of overlanding and love the possibilities. I'm in Spokane, WA i drive a 1989 jeep Comanche. i have little to none experience in overlanding but have quite a bit of experience off roading. id like to build a rig just for overlanding, im looking into getting a stock jeep xj to mod into what i want, any tips for where to start would be awesome.

Contributor I

Hey everyone! Glad to be here.

1) Living in San Jose
2) I have a 14' Dodge Ram 1500.
3) Overlanding Experience is fairly basic. I'm an outdoor enthusiast just like the rest of you. I have yet to really take my truck off road and I'm just starting to explore new areas with little to no population. Looking forward to meeting new people, continue exploring and building my overlanding necessities.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

hey everyone, im new to the idea of overlanding and love the possibilities. I'm in Spokane, WA i drive a 1989 jeep Comanche. i have little to none experience in overlanding but have quite a bit of experience off roading. id like to build a rig just for overlanding, im looking into getting a stock jeep xj to mod into what i want, any tips for where to start would be awesome.
Hello Jack,
Best place to start is this site. Great group of people here too. Next would be to look up some of the 4wheel clubs around Spokane. I know there are some. Look at the Member Map here again on this site, then, contact some of the Members. If you are over by Chelan sometime, look me up also. You can check out my XJ build and some of the other XJ builds too. You will find many here will to help with information to get started safely, then get out and do some trips! Then you just need to get out and learn what works and any vehicle will work, but you are ahead of the game with your Comanche! Vance.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Welcome aboard

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I have a question on what kinda of truck is best for overlanding. I have always had a ford truck, and a Jeep. I am building a truck camper for weekend get aways and long trips. So my mine question is what truck are best and how do most of you keep your food cold?
Nothing wrong with setting up a Ford Truck to use for your purpose! I would have a 4x4, but that is just my preference. Hard to beat a Toyota truck, with all the aftermarket support! I have a 99’ Dodge 2500, with the Cummings Motor. I use that to carry my Alaskan pop top camper. The thing is any truck heavy duty enough to carry your camper will work. As you get out and go Overlanding with what ever you start with, you will learn what works best for you, and can setup things differently as needed. Look through some of the great truck builds on this site! There are some really sweet setups and should give you lots of Ideas! Hope this helps,

On the cold food question. I have a small refrigerator that was used by the military to keep meds cool. It is powered by 12 VDC, but is not the chest style like the ARB, Dometic, Engle, and others. For many years, I had an old Coleman Steel belted cooler. That was great for short weekend type trips, but for longer trips, a 12 VDC fridge, will spoil you fast! The fridges do cost a lot of money, but it is a long term investment and game changer on longer trips! Vance.
96C25EB4-04A9-4CA8-A441-6A120976FFF1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie571

BcYeti2503

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
Member #

I have a question on what kinda of truck is best for overlanding. I have always had a ford truck, and a Jeep. I am building a truck camper for weekend get aways and long trips. So my mine question is what truck are best and how do most of you keep your food cold?
I hope other new people read this.
The best vehicle for overlanding is the one that lets you get out and enjoy new adventures. To decide on a vehicle between all the choices you need to determine what you want to do and what your restrictions or limitations/needs are. Your needs might change down the road so keep that in mind. Many start out with a basic older 4x4 and go from there. There are tonnes of well educated people in this group so feel free to ask questions and read what you can. but even a car can go overlanding to some extent.
Regarding cold food. I use a standard high quality coleman cooler and an ARB 50qt Fridge/freezer unit for frozen goods and making ice.

Razorrodent

Rank III
Investor

Traveler II

North Myrtle beach,sc
First Name
Jaimes
Last Name
Palmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4WRR
Well finally after having my medallion for quite a while I finally have a running vehicle to put it on, if not the one I'd planned to put it on. I've had a '93 FZJ80 for several years but I didn't know the broken timing chain guide when i bought it, nor did I realize other issues it had. It's currently in MANY pieces and the bare rolling frame is taking up my shop floor. I've been looking for a new vehicle for over a year now and had mostly been looking at early 2nd Gen Tundras and 100 Series LC. Neither pop up at reasonable prices if at all in my area and every time one has it was gone or too roached out, but then, I came across a super clean '08 GX470 in Salsa red w 156k for a good price. I had to get it. It's has basically no rust on it save a little on the exhaust, some maybe, maybe not surface on the axle and the battery tray where the battery they put in has leaked. It needs to have the 90 timing belt/water pump service done and I'm going to baseline the rest of it myself. I'm going to leave it stock for a bit while I make a decision whether to abandon the and part the 80 and build the GX or keep the GX as a stock travel light overlander and build the 80 as a hard core overlander, possibly with the 6bt Cummins from my 2500 that is in rough shape. Main thing for me though is it's been nearly 2 years since I've had a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get in and drive anywhere beyond the city limits so I'm excited. I got it just in time to go to OEE this weekend. Anyways look forward to seeing others up at OEE this weekend.

'08 Lexus GX470

If I choose to build out the GX current planned build as follows:
Total Chaos LT front, harrop lockers rear, maybe front as well, rear drawers and Prinsu rack, full skids sliders winch bumper and rear bumper w swing out. There are other items as well but most all of will take time and may never be done to the GX is I decide to keep it pristine and build the 80. I also have been looking at fabricating a offroad tear drop at a later date as well

I've been wheeling for many years though it's been a while since I've been able to go for various reasons. My main of road rig has been a '87 Samurai Rock buggy that I built over a number of years and iterations. Currently it has a 2.0L engine and trans swap from a Vitara that I build a turbo setup for. Yota truck axles and a dual tcase setup. Unfortunately this spring, after finally resolving some issues with my piggy back efi controller I blew the engine doing a tuning pull when I didn't realize the boost adjuster had gotten open to full and it hit at least 18psi, likely causing a detonation.

fbledsoe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pikeville, TN, USA
First Name
Frederick
Last Name
Bledsoe
Member #

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactations
Hello. I've always loved the outdoors. Hunting,fishing,travel,camping,kyaking,hiking. It's a great way to spend time with family & friends. I live in southeast Tennessee. Looking forward to making new friends & adventures with OB community. Rigs: 2011 Power Wagon. 2005 Toyota Sequoia. 06 Peterbuilt 379. 07 YamrHamr Rhino. IMG_20180302_131033811_HDR.jpg IMG_20181104_113417631_HDR.jpg IMG_20170622_195354573.jpg

Reactions: Magic Mike

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I ordered a 2019 Ford Ranger a few weeks ago. It is optioned just like the one in this picture except that the interior is Ebony. I am looking forward to getting out and exploring with it. I've had sports cars for years and owned a cattle ranch for a while. So it's been a few years since I've had a 4x4.

I live in Van Alstyne, Texas (Northeast of Dallas) with my wife. We have 2 kids, a son-in-law, and a grandson. We are especially looking forward to getting our grandson out on the trails.

As far as my experience goes, I would consider myself a novice. Who else would go out and buy a brand new truck and then take it off road! :laughing: I do have a few friends, though, that are very experience overlanders.

Looking forward to meeting folks and getting out on the trails!
The DFW area has a Meet-Up that meets monthly, if your interested check out the meet-up page on the forum for details. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-dallas-fort-worth-dfw-meet-up.18113/page-5#post-265965

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Reactions: LoneStarFlatLanders

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey all, new here
Some may recognize the screen name as I'm on several other boards.
I live in Sacramento CA
My vehicle is an 87 K/5 Blazer, 350, auto, 2.5" lift, 35s, locked front, LS rear, warn 8274 hung on the front.
I'm not new to 4 wheeling, just new to living out of my rig. We have gone from tent to truck camper to now a travel trailer, but I really want to do some more remote camping where you can't take a camper or trailer. Looking forward to reading how everyone gets it done.
Travis..
Welcome to Overland Bound!

There are two meet-up’s in your area if you are interested, both are on the meet-up page of the forum and the calendar.

Sierra Foothills Overlanders monthly meeting.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sierra-foothills-monthly-ob-meetup-11-21-2017.10663/

Sacramento weekly meet-up.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/sacramento-weekly-meet-up.3332/

Reactions: RallyRover18

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Novice to all this but love to get out and explore. Just got my 4runner last week and excited to slowly make it more my own and going out and hitting the trails. Occasionally camp out at the beaches in Mexico but nothing extreme. More pictures to come hopefully after some outdoor activities.

2019 Stock 4runner TRD Off Rd Premium

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Greetings!
Rig: 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Why? Why not! Been working out of the country for most of the last decade, so time to start getting out and enjoying the great outdoors in my home state and any place else that catches our fancy.
NV

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
A complete novice to all of this but I look forward to learning about all of this and getting out there.

2018 Stock Tacoma SR5View attachment 74546

If you have any questions message your regional ambassador or you can contact me on the forum

@Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello! Cameron (aka Polemarchos) here!
1) Location: Albemarle County, VA
2) Rig(s): 1999 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 Volvo XC60
3) Overlanding Experience Background:
Why Overlanding? Well, I have always loved the great outdoors, and I love driving, and tinkering with automobiles; and Overlanding sounds like the perfect combination of the three. I'm still a rookie, and haven't had the chance to do much serious Overlanding yet, but here's to changing that ASAP.
View attachment 74549

If you have any questions message your regional ambassador or you can contact me on the forum

@Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Everyone !
Really looking forward to being in the Overland community.
We have a 07 Sequoia we love!
Camping,hunting,motorcycling,exploring,Portland to Coast, (its the walking part of the Hood to Coast) every year!!
The Sacajawea takes us everywhere
Have more mods planned, but I will get much needed help and ideas here!View attachment 74572

There is a new meet-up in the Portland area that you can find on the regional meet-up page.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey guys! My name is Austin Ryan, I live in the NW Arkansas area. I drive a 2006 H3 Adventure. I’m very new to Off-roading and overlanding in general, but I’m learningView attachment 74614

@Kent R