Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone- Thanks for letting me join
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

hgwilliam

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello All,

Name is Huw, I am very new to overlanding with 4 wheels. Picking up my new Ford F150 2018 2.7L Eco Boost on Friday. I'm located North East of Toronto Ontario, outside Peterborough.

While I've been travelling 4+ years on my adventure bike, I am really enjoying the idea of getting the F150 ready for some overlanding. I know I won't be mudding and rock climbing in it! Just the gravel roads and some trails. I like the idea of being able to drive trails to get to some beautiful campsites. My bike lets me go anywhere, and I want the same with my truck.

I'm hear to gather some data, basic upgrades as everything is new to me. Already read some great builds/info of what people have done. I'll have a picture up Friday of the new rig.

Thanks!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello All,

Name is Huw, I am very new to overlanding with 4 wheels. Picking up my new Ford F150 2018 2.7L Eco Boost on Friday. I'm located North East of Toronto Ontario, outside Peterborough.

While I've been travelling 4+ years on my adventure bike, I am really enjoying the idea of getting the F150 ready for some overlanding. I know I won't be mudding and rock climbing in it! Just the gravel roads and some trails. I like the idea of being able to drive trails to get to some beautiful campsites. My bike lets me go anywhere, and I want the same with my truck.

I'm hear to gather some data, basic upgrades as everything is new to me. Already read some great builds/info of what people have done. I'll have a picture up Friday of the new rig.

Thanks!

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
1. No vehicle yet but currently in the market for something.
2. Phoenix, AZ
3. Novice to Overlanding but have camped all over AZ.

Chad Jones

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Utah, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hey Y'all!
My name is Chad Jones and I'm excited to "officially" be a part of the community.

I'm from Ogden, Utah and grew up camping all over Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.

Currently in a '10 Toyota Tacoma and love it. I also have a '89 Dodge Raider/ Mitsubishi Montero.

I look forward to interacting with all of you!DSC02471-01.jpeg 20161005_170541.jpg

Drifterman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Patchogue, NY, USA
First Name
Fluffy
Last Name
Drifter
Member #

Hi all!

Location - Central Alberta, Canada
Rig - 2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubi on 35's with lots of stuff to make it slower
Trailer - 2012 Canadian Range

I got my start driving things off road with tractors (including a Farmall Model A) back when dirt was still a new invention, and gradually progressed to things as large as a ford 1 ton dually (work truck) before I completely lost my mind and started modifying a Jeep as an off-road/road-trip rig. I guess you can say I have a couple decades of experience getting wheeled vehicles into places that would make engineers cringe.

My current setup is great for "base camp" style adventuring - offroading, hunting, and fishing in one general area. The biggest challenge is the fact that the engine in the JK is fine on the flat stuff with that trailer, but needing to use second gear to get over a mountain pass is definitely not happiness in a tow rig. I'll also say that while it is very "streetable" a JK on 35's is not an ideal long-distance pavement cruiser.

Because I am shopping for a new DD, I'm leaning towards a Chevy Colorado....that can easily tow the trailer, haul a 17 foot sea kayak, and ideally configured so that I can use it as a very quick-to-set-up overnight camping rig for trips where the base camp idea is not really the objective.

I'm still in the beginning stages of thinking through what that will look like, but right now I'm thinking of an extended cab with the 6-ish foot bed, fitted with a hard topper and a roof rack, with the plan being that I'd fit a drawer system in the bottom of the bed, and eventually (probably) a "pop-up" lift system under the topper paired with a canvas camper setup. Yes, sleeping in the bed of your pickup isn't the cool way to do things....but it sure does promote quick setup and tear-down, and works well for Wal-Mart parking lots when on road trips required to reach great destinations.
Look into adding power to your jk supercharger or a motor swap that will help big time plus look into regearing the axels if you havent already

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Y'all!
My name is Chad Jones and I'm excited to "officially" be a part of the community.

I'm from Ogden, Utah and grew up camping all over Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.

Currently in a '10 Toyota Tacoma and love it. I also have a '89 Dodge Raider/ Mitsubishi Montero.

I look forward to interacting with all of you!View attachment 71768 View attachment 71769

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello, fellow overlanders.

Recently been following the overland phenomenon, I think the time is right to join in on the fun. I have a 1988 suzuki samurai that I'm doing a frame off rebuild and I'm going to start off with that. Ultimately I want to use my 1968 Land Cruiser FJ40 as a primary overland vehicle. Time will tell.....

There is a meet-up south of you that is on the rally point page.

Koopdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO, USA
Member #

Greetings Friends!

My name is Jared and I am 100% new to overlanding and looking forward to learning and exploring with you all. My wife and I were talking that we really wanted to go camping with the kids to give them that experience. She grew up going camping with family however I did not so I am 100% green on this. At any rate as I was researching (its what I do!) I came across a site that talked about this overlanding deal and had a documentary of one such excursion (somewhere in CO) and I fell in love immediately with the idea. I am not big on roadside rv "camping" I would much rather find "the road less traveled" as I did back when I mountain biked all over (I am out of shape but would love to get back into biking!). So needledss to say I am excited about venturing off into this and look to make some new friends, learn how to safely navigate offroading, and go exploring!

My wife and 4 kids (9, 7, 5, 2) are looking to get out and explore this amazing planet we live on and create some lifelong memories and experiences. Right not we plan to keep things simple and achievable.

1) Stock 2004 Chevy Suburban 2500
2) Loveland, CO
3) I don't have a "rig" per say yet but I will be starting out with what I have, and that is a 2004 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT. I know it will need some modifications over time to make it a better off road vehicle, but for now, its what fits my crew and my only 4 wheel drive vehicle. Eventually I want to get a RTT trailer and go that route and perhaps at that time downsize to a smaller vehicle.
4) 100% brand new!

Thanks again and I love seeing all the adventures

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Greetings Friends!

My name is Jared and I am 100% new to overlanding and looking forward to learning and exploring with you all. My wife and I were talking that we really wanted to go camping with the kids to give them that experience. She grew up going camping with family however I did not so I am 100% green on this. At any rate as I was researching (its what I do!) I came across a site that talked about this overlanding deal and had a documentary of one such excursion (somewhere in CO) and I fell in love immediately with the idea. I am not big on roadside rv "camping" I would much rather find "the road less traveled" as I did back when I mountain biked all over (I am out of shape but would love to get back into biking!). So needledss to say I am excited about venturing off into this and look to make some new friends, learn how to safely navigate offroading, and go exploring!

My wife and 4 kids (9, 7, 5, 2) are looking to get out and explore this amazing planet we live on and create some lifelong memories and experiences. Right not we plan to keep things simple and achievable.

1) Stock 2004 Chevy Suburban 2500
2) Loveland, CO
3) I don't have a "rig" per say yet but I will be starting out with what I have, and that is a 2004 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT. I know it will need some modifications over time to make it a better off road vehicle, but for now, its what fits my crew and my only 4 wheel drive vehicle. Eventually I want to get a RTT trailer and go that route and perhaps at that time downsize to a smaller vehicle.
4) 100% brand new!

Thanks again and I love seeing all the adventures

Navigator1

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey guys and gals. I’m Ryan.

From the great PNW. Spokane, WA to be exact.

I drive a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off-road in trail limo crew cab long bed form.

I’ve owned plenty of off-road worthy rides and dabbled in the dirt a little but never really taken to hard to vehicle based exploration. So now I’m here and looking to get into some overland action.

IMG_3002.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG

HomeBrew82

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Quantico, VA, USA
Member #

Hey everyone!
My name is Jim. My wife and I have two boys and two dogs. We love to camp and explore, but with busy lives it keeps getting harder to find the time. We usually do a full holiday weekend camping trip once a year, but was cancelled this year because my youngest broke his leg! My wife and I have been taking short trips to a nearby National Forest to let the little ones run and have good time. Just figured there were some other hidden places to explore. I have always tried to build my vehicles with the intent to overland at some point in my life. I just always figured that it would be later rather than sooner. I hope to be able to get us all out of the house and hit the trails, finally!

IMG_8856.JPG
2012 4Runner SR5 Premium. OME Suspension System. 285/70/17 BFG KO2's. ARB Bull Bar. ARB onboard air. BajaRack full length rack, and ladder.

Terry Kilpatrick

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Round Rock, TX, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Kilpatrick
Member #

Hello from Texas. I am a complete novice. I did not know the term Overlanding when I got my Jeep but knew that I was interested in trails MVIMG_20180702_130819.jpg and exploring. Two years later, I discovered Overland Bound. I am looking forward to learning and tagging along with more experienced overlanders.

I want to camp, explore and see life off pavement.

My daily driver is a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It was bone stock when I got it but has since been modified with a 3" lift, 33" All terrain tires, LED lights and rock sliders. I'll add new front and rear bumpers soon as well.

My apologies now for the pending newbie questions that will soon come forth. :blush:

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI

I’ve owned plenty of off-road worthy rides and dabbled in the dirt a little but never really taken to hard to vehicle based exploration. So now I’m here and looking to get into some overland action.

View attachment 71865
View attachment 71868
Welcome! Always great to have another PNW overlander join the ranks.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

View attachment 71865
View attachment 71868

The Inland-northwest meet-up conference call happens the third Sunday of the month, and they are also having several trail runs this summer. If your interested here is the forum link.https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/inland-northwest-conference-call-06-17-2018.13703/

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone!
My name is Jim. My wife and I have two boys and two dogs. We love to camp and explore, but with busy lives it keeps getting harder to find the time. We usually do a full holiday weekend camping trip once a year, but was cancelled this year because my youngest broke his leg! My wife and I have been taking short trips to a nearby National Forest to let the little ones run and have good time. Just figured there were some other hidden places to explore. I have always tried to build my vehicles with the intent to overland at some point in my life. I just always figured that it would be later rather than sooner. I hope to be able to get us all out of the house and hit the trails, finally!

View attachment 71874
2012 4Runner SR5 Premium. OME Suspension System. 285/70/17 BFG KO2's. ARB Bull Bar. ARB onboard air. BajaRack full length rack, and ladder.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello from Texas. I am a complete novice. I did not know the term Overlanding when I got my Jeep but knew that I was interested in trails View attachment 71895 and exploring. Two years later, I discovered Overland Bound. I am looking forward to learning and tagging along with more experienced overlanders.

I want to camp, explore and see life off pavement.

My daily driver is a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It was bone stock when I got it but has since been modified with a 3" lift, 33" All terrain tires, LED lights and rock sliders. I'll add new front and rear bumpers soon as well.

My apologies now for the pending newbie questions that will soon come forth. :blush:
Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you. There is going to be a meet-up in Austin very soon.

Reactions: Terry Kilpatrick