Contributor III

Powell Butte, OR, USA
First Name
Ryon
Last Name
Anderson
Service Branch
US Navy
Hello all! I am new here. I didn't really know about overloading before I bought my truck, so my rig is a bit unorthodox. I'm going to be turning my Dodge Ram 2500 diesel into my daily driver/overland camper. Excited to be here!

Reactions: Chadlyb

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I became aware of the idea of overlanding a few months ago. I love trails, the outdoors, cooking outside, etc., and gear, don’t even get me started on how much I love mods and gear.

I’ve never found a comfortable way to sleep though. I have back and neck issues. I’ve tried cots, air mattresses, etc. but my body is usually killing me after 2 nights and 3-4 hrs of sleep a night is optimistic. As minor as this may seem, it’s the issue that keeps me from taking the plunge v. dipping my toes in. I just went to an overlanding event in the Ozarks last week and really enjoyed seeing everyone's rigs and setups. Also had a chance to meet some great people.

So, I’m here to learn, first about finding a solution to decent nights sleep, then about gear etc. I am in the Oklahoma City area. I have 3 great kids 10-15 and an amazing wife, none of whom have a lot of interest in spending hours in a vehicle on the trail. They all love to hike.

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler with 3” lift, 35” tires, lockers, winch, etc. This has been the first year I’ve really had time to use it for it’s intended purpose. We did all the trails in Red River, NM, many of the trails in Ouray, CO and three offroad parks, SMORR, Superlift and Byrds. Let’s just say I’ve been making up for lost time.

Anywho, I’m happy to be here. If I can figure out the sleep thing, I’m really eager to the high water trail in the Ozarks and take some of the backroads through NM.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I became aware of the idea of overlanding a few months ago. I love trails, the outdoors, cooking outside, etc., and gear, don’t even get me started on how much I love mods and gear.

I’ve never found a comfortable way to sleep though. I have back and neck issues. I’ve tried cots, air mattresses, etc. but my body is usually killing me after 2 nights and 3-4 hrs of sleep a night is optimistic. As minor as this may seem, it’s the issue that keeps me from taking the plunge v. dipping my toes in. I just went to an overlanding event in the Ozarks last week and really enjoyed seeing everyone's rigs and setups. Also had a chance to meet some great people.

So, I’m here to learn, first about finding a solution to decent nights sleep, then about gear etc. I am in the Oklahoma City area. I have 3 great kids 10-15 and an amazing wife, none of whom have a lot of interest in spending hours in a vehicle on the trail. They all love to hike.

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler with 3” lift, 35” tires, lockers, winch, etc. This has been the first year I’ve really had time to use it for it’s intended purpose. We did all the trails in Red River, NM, many of the trails in Ouray, CO and three offroad parks, SMORR, Superlift and Byrds. Let’s just say I’ve been making up for lost time.

Anywho, I’m happy to be here. If I can figure out the sleep thing, I’m really eager to the high water trail in the Ozarks and take some of the backroads through NM.
Hi soonersfan and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Kent Kurihara

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hawaii
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Kurihara
Member #

Hey, Looking to get back into camping and the outdoors with my 4yo son. I haven't been in a 4x4 in years, so it looks like my brother and I are gonna dig the old K10 out of the shed an rebuild it. Hope to meet some members soon.

Kent

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hey, Looking to get back into camping and the outdoors with my 4yo son. I haven't been in a 4x4 in years, so it looks like my brother and I are gonna dig the old K10 out of the shed an rebuild it. Hope to meet some members soon.

Kent
Hi Kent and welcome to OB! Looking forward to the K10 build pics! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Wandering With You

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hello All-

2) Twin Cities, MN based
3) 2017 Stock Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Long Bed
4) Grew up driving two-treks in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Not really a "forum guy" but am interested in connecting to learn more about how to access and plot off-highway driving opportunities in state and national forests, particularly in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I'm a photographer, filmmaker and family man who loves to spend quiet time in the woods with his wife, child and small dog. We typically plan our time away from the city based on mountain biking, road running and now, overlanding opportunities as we cannot yet take our young child out for the formerly mentioned activities. Most of the overlanding opportunities we will be seeking will be day trips based from campgrounds in MN and WI.

The Tacoma is MN OHV registered and has been out for several trips since its purchase in April of this year, including parts of the trans-Wisconsion Trail, The Gandy Dancer trail in the St. Croix Forest in MN and the Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area in Gilbert, MN.

For our next trip, I hope to do some exploring in the R.J. Dorer Memorial Hardwood State Forest in Southeastern MN in a few weeks. If anyone's got any pointers, I love to hear 'em.

Currently, the rig is stock, but will evolve as our needs change. I sold my '99 4runner when I bought this truck and plan to own this one for just as long, if not longer.

Cheers!

Attachments

Hi all! this is my second Rig on here so I sorta know what I'm doing XD.

My new rig is a 2008 Suzuki Jimny 1.8 (liana turbo) with 183,621 miles on the clock and a rock lobster transfer case with ARB air lockers front and rear, AVO 4 inch adjustable lift with all extended arms and shafts, full underside 4mm aluminum protection, it has a hidden warn 13500lbs winch that is incredibly overkill. I have future plans to extend the chassis rails 380mm with a longer drive shaft and build a large camper box similar to the one Ronny dahl showed in modified 40.
I chose my rig because Jeeps aren't really a thing in Europe and Toyotas are AWD and disgusting in the UK.
Also, I wanted unrivaled reliability and something that is really simple mechanically. It also helped it has solid axles, coils, ladder chassis, low range gearing.

Tread lightly,
happy wheeling!

thanks.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello All-

2) Twin Cities, MN based
3) 2017 Stock Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Long Bed
4) Grew up driving two-treks in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Not really a "forum guy" but am interested in connecting to learn more about how to access and plot off-highway driving opportunities in state and national forests, particularly in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I'm a photographer, filmmaker and family man who loves to spend quiet time in the woods with his wife, child and small dog. We typically plan our time away from the city based on mountain biking, road running and now, overlanding opportunities as we cannot yet take our young child out for the formerly mentioned activities. Most of the overlanding opportunities we will be seeking will be day trips based from campgrounds in MN and WI.

The Tacoma is MN OHV registered and has been out for several trips since its purchase in April of this year, including parts of the trans-Wisconsion Trail, The Gandy Dancer trail in the St. Croix Forest in MN and the Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area in Gilbert, MN.

For our next trip, I hope to do some exploring in the R.J. Dorer Memorial Hardwood State Forest in Southeastern MN in a few weeks. If anyone's got any pointers, I love to hear 'em.

Currently, the rig is stock, but will evolve as our needs change. I sold my '99 4runner when I bought this truck and plan to own this one for just as long, if not longer.

Cheers!
Hi Wandering With You and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: Wandering With You

Rugaru

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ester, AK
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Brune
Member #

Hello. Just joined this week. Currently teaching in bush Alaska, but have plans to get my 1997 Tacoma sorted out for some backcountry trips when I return to Kansas next summer. I've been camping, hiking, and such all my life, and have taken long road trips like the Alcan many times, but would rate myself a novice when it comes to long treks off highway. Looking forward to gaining more knowledge and experience in the months and years ahead. Thanks--Dan

Dustoff70

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bastrop County, Texas, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I'm a novice, but impatient to start out on my first trip. I live in the Central Valley just south of Sacramento. My rig is a F350 crewcab 4x4. I wanted a Jeep, but the boss gave me the go ahead to set up my truck. Still in the process of occurring some gear for the truck.
Sorry I don't have a picture yet. I will take one and post it later. Its just stock. But I do want to ask for some advice. Pros/con type. I am looking at getting a shell to have a RTT mounted to it. But have also thought about just welding a rack together that I can mount a RTT and other things to. I know the obvious pro's of a shell, like security and price, but what would your opinions.
Thanks in advance.

Nashmau5

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fayetteville, NC
Member #

Hi I’m Charles from San Diego, CA

Current Vehicle: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Red October)
Overland Experience: Novice. Brand new this is my first rig and I’m excited to build her up and take her out on trips. Thanks in advance for the tips and tricks

Attachments

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello all! I am new here. I didn't really know about overloading before I bought my truck, so my rig is a bit unorthodox. I'm going to be turning my Dodge Ram 2500 diesel into my daily driver/overland camper. Excited to be here!
Hello and welcome to the OB crew. Looking forward to seeing your build and adventures

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello and welcome to the OB crew..hope you find your sleepy happy place and glad to hear your back with the living again...looking forward to seeing your adventures

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Kent
Hello Kent and welcome to the OB crew..looking forward to seeing your build and adventures