Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

Ben Gagne

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Love that color Tacoma and the runner is sharp! I was going to look at a runner and/or jeep but I really thought I regret not getting something with a bed.

Love the look with the soft top.
Thanks! I hafta say it's one of my favorite purchases for a vehicle!

Welcome! I'm new here as well. Can I see a pic of that sas tacoma? What front axle did you go with?
I really wanted to go 1tons but the $$ wasn't there. Got a great deal on a 9" rear with a 79' HD 44 up front. Left it full width, 3link front with 14" 2.5 airshocks and full hydro steering. My buddy helped with the cage and there's roughly 150' of dom in it. Caged front to rear. Still needs a doubler and 38s (pictured with 36s)

IMG_1187.JPG

Traveler I

Peru
Hi everyone, name is Claude, living in Peru, got a question maybe someone knows, it's been over 40 years since anyone crossed on a 4x4 the Darien Gap, why nobody has tried again, sure it's dangerous but it would be epic

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

Paulysr5

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Antonio, TX
Member #

Hello everyone, name is Paul living in south Texas (San Antonio area) Truck is a 2014 Toyota Tacoma T-Force editon, have some overland experience from childhood going and fishing deep down on Padre Island often but as an adult I consider myself a novice and looking to get out more and more here in Texas and actually out of state

Smiley52

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Melbourne, Florida
Member #

Hi everyone, name is Claude, living in Peru, got a question maybe someone knows, it's been over 40 years since anyone crossed on a 4x4 the Darien Gap, why nobody has tried again, sure it's dangerous but it would be epic
From what I've read, heard, and watched on video, the gap is essentially impassable because of the inhabitants and the drug runners(someone correct me if I'm wrong). That being said, nobody in their right mind would go through it.

Traveler I

Peru
From what I've read, heard, and watched on video, the gap is essentially impassable because of the inhabitants and the drug runners(someone correct me if I'm wrong). That being said, nobody in their right mind would go through it.
Smiley, I´ve been reading and yes it is very dangerous, but some people do trek through, also illegal migrants use that area. guerrillas are active there too but they have signed a peace treaty with the Colombian government, but putting aside the man made dangers, wouldn´t it be an awesome experience to be the first ones to cross it in a 4x4 in over40 years, sure the gear, tech and resources are better now

Traveler I

Peru
By the way I have worked in very remote areas of this country, up high in the mountains on road constructions at very high altitudes, on remote areas of the Amazon jungle so I do have some experience with rough conditions and dealing with some of those dangers, yes there are something to consider seriously but there might be a way around that too.

four'running

Rank 0

Traveler I

I currently live in Waterdown, Ont. Current rig is a 2015 4runner with ome suspension, arb skids, whiteknukle sliders, 255/80r17 st maxx wrapped around fj steelies. I'm also running a custom aluminum rtt that I designed and built last year!
3 years ago I had a 2012 Tacoma with budbuilt skids, ome lift, arb tent. I went down to Colorado and Utah for a 2 week trip exploring the high 4x4 roads and Canyonlands NP.

Attachments

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hello All !
Redwood City California area. Experience 40 years, started with a old CJ5, then to Toyota's, GMC, jeeps and now that Old Age is setting in just bought a 2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, for some comfort, slowly building that now. Immediate bucket list, drive the Alaskan Highway from start to finish in the 4Runner.
Welcome! I was in San Carlos for 9 years, but moved last year. I used to go to Redwood City all the time. Lots of OB members in the SF bay area, as that's the founding area.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hi all,

Hello from eastern Ontario, near Ottawa.

The Rig: My "rig" is none other than "Daisy" our stock 2013 Land Rover LR2 HSE. She functions mostly as my wife's daily driver while I pack on the miles in our VW Jetta commuting to work. Mods? Does a rubber boot mat count? I had OEM roof rails and crossbars installed and have a Thule roof rack for extras that won't fit inside. Factory hitch also installed.

Experience: I would consider myself an experienced novice. Camping in a 1967 VW Bug with my parents as a child. Car camping with my own kids util they lost interest. Grew up on a farm, so getting stuck and unstuck was "normal." Watched too many Camel Trophy videos as a young man. Lived out of a tent for a couple of days when doing a short term mission trip to Uganda about 20 years ago. This also crystallized my love of Land Rovers, even though I have only owned once since last summer. Have done the Land Rover Experience driving school twice, once in a Disco Series II and once in an LR3. Looking forward to doing it again in a couple of weeks with my wife, this time in the brand new Disco 5.

The Plan: As I contemplate retirement from my current profession and transition into another, my wife and I are at the point where we would like to travel. I don't see myself as a hard core off-roader, but I do see myself going off the beaten path. We are seriously looking at getting a trailer that can go wherever my Land Rover can take it. Perhaps an LR4 or new Disco TDV6 with a Conqueror UEV 440 is in our future? That's why I a here. To learn. View attachment 28387View attachment 28388
Welcome! I LOVE seeing the LR2s / Freelander 2s on the trails. They are awesome little rigs.... Keep us posted and please feel free to message me with any questions, we have a great network on rover owners and between LR3/LR4, have several experts. Have fun!

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

View attachment 28572
Hi everyone, I'm Mike from Whitesburg, GA. Just picked up my 2015 Nissan Frontier and getting ready to start the build.
I'm also into Adventure motorcycles and enjoy the trails in the Talladega National Forest.
View attachment 28573
Look me up if you find yourself in West GA!
Howdy Mike! Welcome to OB! At some point I may sent you a DM to pick your brain about adventure motorcycles. I am thinking about a BMW or KTM. Any preference? Suggestions?

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Awesome rigs! Then again, I am biased since I have your twin LR4 - same color combination... rare to see the black-design package from the factory. Very nice! I LOVE seeing a Jeep/Rover family.

Edit: Woops, just noticed the mirrors are white and no full-length black rails, so GREAT job doing the black out on your own. I cheated and got the black-design package.

SGT.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

COACHELLA VALLEY, CALIF.
Member #

Awesome rigs! Then again, I am biased since I have your twin LR4 - same color combination... rare to see the black-design package from the factory. Very nice! I LOVE seeing a Jeep/Rover family.

Edit: Woops, just noticed the mirrors are white and no full-length black rails, so GREAT job doing the black out on your own. I cheated and got the black-design package.

Yea you caught that - good eye..... I wanted the blackout but didn't want to wait, this was on the lot so I just added some black. We fixed that with my wife's sport. It came blacked out lol

Last edited:

NJJeeper16

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Verona NJ
Member #

Parked.jpg Location: Essex County NJ
Rig: 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK
Experience: Newbie

I've had the Jeep for about 11 months and took to Old Mine Road last weekend, first time its ever seen the forest, LOL. I read a lot of threads about the Trans New Jersey Trail and was thinking about trying it out soon. Has anyone done it? I also want to try out Wharton State Forest, but have no idea where it begins. Well hopefully I make some new friends on here and go on some excursions.

Ryan