Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

Litedrizzle

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello everyone, the names Storm
20170504_192651[1].jpg
I just acquired this 2003 land rover discovery ii 2 weeks ago and have been wrenching on it since I bought it. Currently it has a terrafirma 2" MD lift kit and terrafirma steering damper but plenty more mods to come.
I am from Dunbar, WV and have intermediate skills overlanding/off-roading mostly day trips.
I hope to meet many others that share the bug and hopefully learn new things along the way.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Thanks for the welcome... As for my LR4, I likeee a lot. Power a plenty and no fall off at altitude compared to my 05 LR3 and the 8 speed is so smooth. Paddle shift is nice feature. Dial for transmission mode has taken a while to get used too.
That's great. I have seen a lot of folks starting to build up the 2014+ models and ARB has a pretty nice front bumper system. Yes, the dial transmission and toggle terrain response (and paddle shifters) would take a while to get used to, but I think the biggest annoyance to me would be the auto start/stop. Have you figured out a way to disable it permanently? I have a 2016 RRS as well and I hate it!

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hello everyone, the names Storm
View attachment 23997
I just acquired this 2003 land rover discovery ii 2 weeks ago and have been wrenching on it since I bought it. Currently it has a terrafirma 2" MD lift kit and terrafirma steering damper but plenty more mods to come.
I am from Dunbar, WV and have intermediate skills overlanding/off-roading mostly day trips.
I hope to meet many others that share the bug and hopefully learn new things along the way.
Welcome, Storm! Great looking Discovery 2! Looking forward to seeing your future modifications.

Reactions: Litedrizzle

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

View attachment 23973 Hello,
I'm from NW Arkansas.
I drive a 2008 Land Rover LR3
I've been Overlanding for about 10-12 years, and have traveled to all 48 lower states in my Rover.
Recent mods (due to necessity) include a spring conversion and I ripped out the audio/nav and replaced it all with a new aftermarket system.
View attachment 23972
Welcome! That's a really nice looking LR3 - great seeing all these rovers joining OB. Great job on the aftermarket system!

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hey everyone, I'm Matt. I just joined after my first few years of off road driving to camp with friends in Northern Ontario, Canada. Can't get enough of it every time we go!
Rig: 2009 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Experience: Novice. I grew up camping and mountain biking but usually in easy vehicle accessable areas until I sold my 1996 Audi A4 2 years ago and got my truck.
View attachment 23956
View attachment 23957
Welcome! I LOVE these King Ranch edition Ford trucks. SO NICE!

Gotrovr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, CA
Member #

That's great. I have seen a lot of folks starting to build up the 2014+ models and ARB has a pretty nice front bumper system. Yes, the dial transmission and toggle terrain response (and paddle shifters) would take a while to get used to, but I think the biggest annoyance to me would be the auto start/stop. Have you figured out a way to disable it permanently? I have a 2016 RRS as well and I hate it!
auto start/stop is non functional in low range so not an issue off road. As for during heavy traffic, I just disable using the switch. As for the warning light with eco turned off, owning a few land rovers, I'm well conditioned to seeing warning lights on the dash, so I'm somewhat immune....... :grinning:

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

auto start/stop is non functional in low range so not an issue off road. As for during heavy traffic, I just disable using the switch. As for the warning light with eco turned off, owning a few land rovers, I'm well conditioned to seeing warning lights on the dash, so I'm somewhat immune....... :grinning:
I hear you... I just tend to make it a habit of turning it off right away. So, I'm used to it, but don't like it.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

There's a few mods that are set in stone atm, so far I plan on steel bumpers front and rear, winch, drawer system, and light bars/pods

Sent from my SM-N915V using OB Talk mobile app
Lots of plans! Can't wait to see them in photos. Welcome to the club... I've been doing mine for a couple years and it's lots of fun.

jer

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Temecula
Member #

Hello my fellow overlander my family and I are happy to be a party of a responsible community. We will keep up the tradition when exploring to pickup trash when the careless are being careless. Here's a couple pics on broken arrow trail in sedona after the 2017 overland expo.
Member # 5393
20170512_174433_HDR.jpg20170514_092621_HDR.jpg20170514_115126_HDR.jpg20170514_134355_HDR.jpg

Sent from my LG-H830 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: zcutt and DonLVOS

Tacofart

Rank 0

Contributor I

IMG_0087.jpg IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0451.jpg Brennan here. Pretty new to the whole scene. Glad I discovered it.
Rig: 04 Tacoma -dual cases/lockers
Haven't become a "badge-member" but will do once I can get back out on the trail. Recently broke my back so I've been scouring the internet to get my nature/over landing/rock-crawling fix. Not a ton of experience but I fix my own truck get lost as much as possible.

Reactions: zcutt

Mudgard

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Concord, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Voss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ORJ
Service Branch
USCG
IMG_0365.JPG Saw the videos on YouTube. Your trips look like a lot of fun and, as I'm local, hopefully I can take part.

Details:
Mike
Concord, CA
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Experience: Novice - some minor experience in my DD (2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4, but very little "true" 4WD experience. Just bought the Wrangler and I'm looking forward to building my experience. Looking to learn from those with the experience!

Mikesjku

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Raymond
Member #

Hello I'm Mike , I'm in Sacramento, calif . Drive a 14 jeep jku (Ava) I've done a lot of camping but always just that stay in one spot kind now looking to do something different . Did the Mohave red. Back in April ( so awesome) that is what I'm looking forward to doing more of , hopefully with some other members . Learn and explore.... thanks

BexarWolf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Austin, Texas
Member #

Good afternoon, OB. Just joined today and reading my way through the forums while watching some of the vids. I'm in Central Texas (Austin area) with novice overlanding experience but hope to change that with time.

'07 FJ Cruiser that I've had off-road on numerous occasions but haven't spent much time living out of it. I'm slooooowly building up my kit and hope to hit Big Bend National Park again this year with the wife so we can get some ground time in. I look forward to the adventures.

Attachments

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I'm Wayne, member 5808. I live in Birmingham, AL
I Have a 2014 Wrangler JKU
I have been a backpacker all my life and previously had an 07 FJ that was set up for Overlanding and did allot of camping out of it. It died and I am starting from scratch with this Jeep. I have an Oztent RV3 that I just picked up as I do allot of camping with my Doberman and an RTT isn't practical. I am currently working on an adventure gear trailer in my garage. The Jeep build started out as your typical Jeep with stubby bumpers and in process of changing a few things to be more Overlanding oriented offering a little more protection. Looking forward to getting out with the trailer and enjoying nature.

Last edited:

Traveler I

Member #

We are Embark_overland , get outside, leave no Trace, explore! 00 Toyota Tundra lifted 6 inches with rcd kit , icon coil overs with total chaos uppers poly everything. Upgraded rack with increased line pressure for pushing 35s , on board air , arb lockers front n rear , alcon spring pack with 200 pound helper springs added. Rancho adjustable in rear, bed cut 6 inches for clearance, km2 shoes. 4.88 gears , camper ,sleeper. Custom color matte paint one of a kind with 5 coats clear not a wrap. Los Angeles based and as long as we can remember loving the outdoors. Overlanding is in our blood. To roam and see new places , states , parks , etc. Being on the road has a certain grace , feeling , satisfaction as one who does it would know. The senses high-end when you embark on a new trail or road for the first time and you don't know the condition or the end game , that excitement is what we enjoy. We have been overlanding for years ,started on a motorcycle and picking a direction and just going. 02 had a near fatal accident on my bike and was in a coma for 2 weeks. When I woke up I found out I was at UCLA medical center with wires everywhere and doctors telling me I was lucky to be alive . Head on collision with a Chevy Tahoe! Needless to say it was horrific, suffered mutiple fractures, neck , femar in mutiple places and was told would be paralyzed for life. I overcame the impossible but didn't get away 100 percent . To the present , we have a passion for the outdoors and to help with recovery and PTSD I enjoy being outdoors as much as possible. They say surrounded yourself with the people you want to be, so here we are learning every day how to help a little more, be a little more humble , unplug and get back to basics, no boarders, judgements, differences, etc. Experience I'd say is as follows, recovery, little , trail runs alot , spotting alot, rock crawl alot, positive attitude always, AAA, group situations alot, moral leader alot, game player for sure, no I in team !! Mechanical know how , novice , learning as we venture out. Medical knowledge, novice know a little not alot but am cool under pressure. Hope to meet as many of you as possible in this journey.

Last edited:

Chon K3DHS

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Montgomery Village, MD
First Name
Chon
Last Name
Gann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K3DHS
Hello All,

My name is Chon, that is old Celtic for Chonn, pronounced "Conn" today. However, the parents dropped an N and pronounce the Ch like Cheech and Chong. Anyone remember that comedy duo of the 70's?

I live in Montgomery Village, Maryland within the greater Washington, DC area.

I am still a fairly new owner of a 2007 FJ Cruiser, that has some mods…this is my first personally owned 4X4 vehicle. I have done some fairly serious overland/off road travels throughout my military and government service, but we always had mechanical support.

My vehicle is a 2007 Toyota, FJ Cruiser, I bought used from a local dealer in 2015. It was a well-cared for, one owner vehicle with just over 100K in miles when I purchased it. The mods include the CAI, lift (OME), the rock sliders, bull bar w/ rock plate and PIAA lights, Baja rack, Nitto Grappler G2 LT A/T 285/70/17R tires, Garmin GPS/Eco Route, Alpine Stereo, remote start, CB and amateur radios, and lots of molle bags and a rear interior rack for storage.

Although I enjoy camping and the outdoors, I have adjusted my ways over the years now to a much softer Overland experience these days. Although work and family activities keep us busy I am always looking to take some day or weekend trips when we can. I still have much to learn about taking care of this vehicle and look forward to gleaning knowledge from the collective experience of this group. I would really like to make it out for the FJ Summit in Ouray, or Moab and the Rubicon. Until then, always looking for great spots around the DelMARVA region.

Thanks to Eddie #3878 for noticing my rig and passing along the information on this group. I have submitted my membership and look forward to seeing all on the trails.

Thanks,
Chon

Reactions: jeff_in_MD

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

Hey Folks!
Mike here. Finally getting into the forums after getting my badge about 3 weeks ago (#4865). We hail from Central Texas, and get out with our Trooper and custom trailer as often as we can. And our Great Dane Andre is usually hogging all the cargo room in the Troop. That's one reason we have a trailer! Hope to meet folks on the trail soon.
Cheers!
Mike

bzuni

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Riverside, CA
Member #

Hi, member #4035 checking in for the first time. I've been lurking around for a while and finally joined. Our primary overland rig is a 1994 Land Cruiser that I hope to slowly build as my children grow up (hopefully they can help). Looking forward to connecting with others
from SoCal (I'm in Riverside) and from everywhere else!

bzuni