• HTML tutorial

Idaholandho

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Idaho
Member #

Hello everyone! Hope all is well.
Wife and I have been camping traveling the back roads of Idaho and the west for many years with several different vehicles with the kids as they grew up. Now that they are all out of college, we decided a well built Toyota Tacoma would suit our travel needs. From onboard air to lockers, armor , bumpers, solar and much more, we have enjoyed getting out more than ever.
We also decided to give the rtt a break and decided to buy a Wanderlust 510xs offroad teardrop so that we could extend our time out and about.
Anyway, thanks for having me and see you on the trails.
DSC_0306.JPG

profilepic49624_2.png

Last edited:

Jeff McIntire

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Greetings all!

Rig: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x (Basically stock)
Skill Level: Pretty Novice.

I am very glad to have found this community!

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Reactions: HeliSniper

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Hi all,

Just wanted to take a moment to intruduce myself. I'm 42 years old, married with three kids (20, 19 & 12). I have been camping and offroading my whole life, but as with most there was a bit of a gap in my 20's where I was starting a family and career, so outdoors stuff was minimal.

I'm located in the Dallas / Fort Worth area of Texas and have lived here for 17 years now. I grew up in Southern CA, went to High School in WA state, then joined the Army wich took me to Korea, Fort Bliss, TX and Fort Carson, CO.

My current vehicle is a 2012 Jeep JKU Sport. It had some mods when I bought it, and I have added more, but as I am sure most here can empathize with, I will probably never be finished. Prior to this I was mostly into full size stuff (Suburban, Bronco, F250, etc).

I also have a truck bed trailer I fiddle with, and even drag out to the woods with us once in a while.

I have been aware of 'Overlanding' for about 7 or 8 years, and have been on other forums as well. I would still consider myself a novice, but maybe a step ahead of a total noob.

I found this place from youtibe videos and so far am liking what I am seeing. I look forward to getting to know some of you.

I don't have a photo hosting set up, so I will try linking a couple from facebook, otherwise I mess with a hostin gservice later.

My Jeep:

My previous Suburban, with my trailer loaded:

Trailer when I was mounting the tent:

Attachments

OutsideTheAviary

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Sisley
Greetings, fellow Overlanders.

My name is Jason and I live in Chicago, IL. I've also got a small cabin up in northern Michigan, where I do the majority of my exploring.

I am very new the world of overlanding and my wife and I recently purchased a 91 Land Cruiser (FJ80). I had been researching and looking for right one for a few months before I found this one in northeastern Ohio. It was a single owner vehicle that was meticulously cared for with 139k original miles. The 5 hour drive back to Chicago was all I needed to fall in love and, surprisingly, my wife is almost as excited about it as I am... almost.

We primarily bought the vehicle because we're very actively involved in equestrian sports and needed something to trailer horses and ultimately be a solid and fun vehicle out in the country and on the trails. What I've quickly learned is that owning our cruiser (Chuck) has become the highlight of our lifestyle, not just a contributor to it. Whenever we can we look for trails to explore and reasons to camp.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the Overland Bound community and getting some tips and tricks along the way!

Last edited:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Hello, new member here. From Cincinnati Ohio area, got interested after owning my jeep for a while and making a few camping trips. Have plans to get into this more.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2016 Jeep Wangler JKU
Welcome! I used to live in the Cincinatti area back in the mid 80's.

ShriverSauce

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Argyle Tx
Member #

Hello from North Texas and thank you letting us join the community.

We (the family) have been overlanding for the past few years, with roots back to my college days, and are looking forward to meeting new people.

Our current rig is a 2012 Tacoma that we have been working for the past couple of years.

Attachments

Traveler I

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
hello all, just joined...here's some basic info about me

Floridian living in California currently (Lancaster area)
Rig is an '04 Xterra
Have some general off-road experience but am a novice to overlanding

tinyOVERLANDER

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Member #

Hello to all. I'm a new member, #5097. My name is John and I live in Long Beach, CA.

I first started off-roading in 1971 in a Toyota FJ40. After 5 or 6 years family matters took my wife and I away from most of outdoor adventures. Now I'm retired and I'm back! I have a 2009 Jeep JK 2-door.

In 2011 I did a month long trip to Canada and Alaska. I drove the Dalton Hwy and also the Dempster Hwy in Canada. The Dalton and the Dempster are the only two roads in the northern hemisphere that pass the arctic circle. So... had to do both.

I've spent lots of time in the deserts of SoCal and other places.

This summer, my cousin and I will be doing the Trans-America Trail (TAT). From SoCal I will be driving and picking up my cousin in Austin and then going to Surf City, NC. We will officially start our trip in Surf City and going to Andrews, NC for the start of the TAT. By starting in Surf City we will be going coast to coast and beach to beach. The trip to Andrews from Surf City will be on paved roads. For the most part there are no dirt roads to travel in NC.

On the list for the summer of 2018... the Trans-Canada Adventure Trail (TCAT)... Newfoundland to Vancouver... of course, mostly on dirt. The TCAT is somewhere between 9,000 and 10,400 miles... round trip from SoCal should be somewhere around 18,400 miles.

Jeep3.jpg JEEPSHARE.jpg JEEPSHARE02.JPG

Last edited:

jeff_in_MD

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello All,

My name is Chon, that is old Celtic for Chonn, pronounced "Conn" today. However, the parents dropped an N and pronounce the Ch like Cheech and Chong. Anyone remember that comedy duo of the 70's?

I live in Montgomery Village, Maryland within the greater Washington, DC area.

I am still a fairly new owner of a 2007 FJ Cruiser, that has some mods…this is my first personally owned 4X4 vehicle. I have done some fairly serious overland/off road travels throughout my military and government service, but we always had mechanical support.

My vehicle is a 2007 Toyota, FJ Cruiser, I bought used from a local dealer in 2015. It was a well-cared for, one owner vehicle with just over 100K in miles when I purchased it. The mods include the CAI, lift (OME), the rock sliders, bull bar w/ rock plate and PIAA lights, Baja rack, Nitto Grappler G2 LT A/T 285/70/17R tires, Garmin GPS/Eco Route, Alpine Stereo, remote start, CB and amateur radios, and lots of molle bags and a rear interior rack for storage.

Although I enjoy camping and the outdoors, I have adjusted my ways over the years now to a much softer Overland experience these days. Although work and family activities keep us busy I am always looking to take some day or weekend trips when we can. I still have much to learn about taking care of this vehicle and look forward to gleaning knowledge from the collective experience of this group. I would really like to make it out for the FJ Summit in Ouray, or Moab and the Rubicon. Until then, always looking for great spots around the DelMARVA region.

Thanks to Eddie #3878 for noticing my rig and passing along the information on this group. I have submitted my membership and look forward to seeing all on the trails.

Thanks,
Chon
Also in the village. Currently unable to do overlanding but hopefully in the future I will. I'll keep a eye out for your truck.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Greetings. Kevin here from SoCal (Chino Hills). Been watching the Youtube channel for a while now but finally decided to check out the forum. I'm just getting my toes wet with overlanding at this point. Hoping to get some inspiration to get out there more often.

Update: Just got the membership! Wheeeee!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: OutsideTheAviary

Overland-Jeff

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA
Member #

0519171745c.jpg 0519171836.jpg 0519171730a.jpg Hey there!

I'm Jeff from Torrance, CA.
I'm pretty much a novice overlander, though I've done a handful of trails. As in count them on one hand.
My rig is a 2001 Subaru Outback, with all the fluffy lazy luxury options. I got that one because it has the flat 6, which will suite me in the long run. Currently 100% stock, though I have General Grabber tires coming in the next day or so.

These pics are from my trip to Borrego Springs last Friday. The last is me trying to decided if I could make it up the hill on the lower Coyote Canyon trail on my 5 year old stock street tires. If I'd pushed ... probably. But it was late in the day, sun straight in my face, no traction, and I didn't want to break the car. Won't get to try again for another six months as the Coyote Canyon trail closes seasonally on June 1st. By then I'll also have a skid plate, maybe a mild lift.

There were a couple of water crossings, which was a first for me. The first one follows the stream, and my friend though the trail ended there. I went nope and plunged right in. Not even up to the doors, no problem!

Heading out this coming Friday to some local trails, then back to Borrego Springs the week after to go explore. I think I may be hooked.

-Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: zcutt