Launch Member

Contributor I

Guanajuato, Mexico
First Name
Brittany
Last Name
Highland
Member #

30742779_2127514394151677_1334744209944654237_n.jpg I live online for work, so I've been letting my adventure partner @Jeepsies take the lead here. But as our overlanding takeoff creeps closer, I feel the need to plug in and get some hands-on learning for myself. So here I am.

I've been traveling fulltime with my husband since the beginning of 2014 via a 40-foot RV. Along the way, #BabyNomad joined us. Caspian will be two in December, and he's the friendliest and most flexible tiny human I've ever known. I'm so excited to show him even more of the world.

All that to say, we don't have a firm location. We consider Austin, TX, to be home base, but we don't own any property there. I'm writing to you from Rapid City, but we'll be somewhere else in six days.

For now, our overlanding rig is also our daily driver: 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. Up until now, we've been balancing daily driver + offroad capable. We're really happy with the build we've achieved. Now it's time to adjust, as we equip for long-term overlanding.

I'm usually quite the planner. But when it comes to travel, I just want to go. Eric (@Jeepsies) balances me out and keeps me grounded. From the way things are looking, he's the one who will ensure we don't starve + don't get arrested + don't get stuck. I'm the one who will ensure we never stay in one place for too long.

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

I live online for work, so I've been letting my adventure partner @Jeepsies take the lead here. But as our overlanding takeoff creeps closer, I feel the need to plug in and get some hands-on learning for myself. So here I am.

I've been traveling fulltime with my husband since the beginning of 2014 via a 40-foot RV. Along the way, #BabyNomad joined us. Caspian will be two in December, and he's the friendliest and most flexible tiny human I've ever known. I'm so excited to show him even more of the world.

All that to say, we don't have a firm location. We consider Austin, TX, to be home base, but we don't own any property there. I'm writing to you from Rapid City, but we'll be somewhere else in six days.

For now, our overlanding rig is also our daily driver: 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. Up until now, we've been balancing daily driver + offroad capable. We're really happy with the build we've achieved. Now it's time to adjust, as we equip for long-term overlanding.

I'm usually quite the planner. But when it comes to travel, I just want to go. Eric (@Jeepsies) balances me out and keeps me grounded. From the way things are looking, he's the one who will ensure we don't starve + don't get arrested + don't get stuck. I'm the one who will ensure we never stay in one place for too long.
Welcome to Overland Bound! You might want to check out the meet-up page for local meet-ups that might be close to your current location, great place to meet like minded people that love to overland.

Reactions: Brittany Highland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone, my name is Todd and I'm in the South Bay (San Francisco Bay Area). Looking forward to being a member of this forum. I'm very new to overlanding and I'm excited to get out there in my ZR2 Chevy pickup.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

There are several meet-ups in your area, so if your interested check out the meet-up page of the forum.

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

livingthedreamoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Plano, TX
Member #

Hello everyone. I got hooked watching all these Overland videos on youtube and knew I have found my new home. I am currently starting to build my rig.
Name: James R. IX
Rig: 2012 Land Rover Disco 4
Experience: Driving all across Texas but plan on venturing across this country shortly

Last edited:

Brettcr

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Charlotte NC
Member #

Hello Everyone! New Overland Bound member # 14230! Here's the info:

1) Picture (Below)
2) Gastonia NC
3) 2016 JK
4) Overlanding Experience... none but getting there. Started hiking to tent camping locations and such. Stepped up to a popup which was actually great. Pulled it behind the Outback. Decided to take the next step up because we thought we wanted bigger so we stepped up to a class A. The more and more we thought about it and watched some of the most beautiful scenery on some of the overlanding channels on the tube we decided we would just as much rather convert my Jeep into a camping load of fun. We typically spend the weekends in the Appalachian mountains here in NC hiking so we thought it would be a great way to get out quickly and enjoy the outdoor more.

We are looking forward to Overland Bound East in Ashville and learning more as we go. One of the main reasons coming here is for the loads of information. Really curious on the JK setups. Seems to be really hard to find a lot of rigs that are JK's in the Jeep family versus the JKU. Pointers to good posts showing rigs would be greatly appreciated!

Jeep at table rock.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone. I got hooked watching all these Overland videos on youtube and knew I have found my new home. I am currently starting to build my rig.
Name: James R. IX
Rig: 2012 Land Rover Disco 4
Experience: Driving all across Texas but plan on venturing across this country shortly
Welcome to Overland Bound! There is going to be a meet-up in the Plano area very soon watch the meet-up page for more info.
@Navy-Jeeper

scoyoc

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Moab, UT
Hello! I'm Matt from Moab, Utah, and new to Overland Bound.

I drive a 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X. No big mods, just Shrockworks sliders.

I have many years of overlanding under my belt, but only recently discovered that what I was calling camping/exploring the desert is also called "overlanding. . It's always been a good way to explore the desert, especially with the kids. It's fun to be part of a larger community.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I'm Julie, currently living in Florida and about to move to Spokane, Washington. I have an 03 4Runner Sport Edition V8. Its my daily driver and work in progress overlander. Trails, Air Force base range and mud is all she's seen so far. I'm slowly but surely adding everything we'll need to be ready for overlanding in the PNW.
Julie,
I hope your ready for a change in temperature. I grew up in Niceville and live in Sandpoint ID now. We have a great little group up here in the Coeur d'alene and Spokane area. When do you head this way?

RedRiverDadWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi Y'all,

I'm a fresh member of OLB as of last week (should get my package tomorrow!) and just now getting around to introducing myself.

I live in the Shreveport, LA area (about 2.5 hours from Dallas). My rig is a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium that I bought as a daily commuter that I could safely carry my family in. My previous vehicle, which I still own, is a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner regular cab. I bought it new in January '05 and it's been an insanely reliable rig now at 213k miles.

I plan on building out my new to me Outback over the next year or so with a 2" lift (thinking ADP or LP Aventure), some better looking wheels (I'm really digging the Sparco Terras in bronze), a sizeable roof basket (if someone could enlighten me on why Yakima is a crowd favorite that would be great - I know nothing about baskets), underbelly protection (prolly Primitive), and some AT tires. My Taco has Yokohama Geolandar ATS 265/75r16's that have been good to me both on road and off, may try the GO15's but open to other options. Hoping to go 235/65r17's.

My experience overlanding is mixed. I've done a lot of crosscountry traveling in the Taco, sleeping in the bed at rest stops and spent a Summer in Grand Teton National Park, WY years ago. I took that little 2wd places it shouldn't have gotten through. I've always loved traveling on and off road. As for consciously piecing together a "rig" with overlanding in mind, that is new to me. I hope to learn a ton from all you folks!

R1NaD2G - Imgur.jpg IMG_20180731_120336.jpg q19fYyG - Imgur.jpg

Thom McDonald

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

United Kingtom
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
McDonald
Member #

I 'd like to introduce myself
My name is Thomas McDonald
I'm from the North West of England (Chorley, Lancashire)
My current rig is a 2014 ford ranger which i'm in the process of selling, i'm selling my rig to fund a new project which is a 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter van build. the plan for the new van is to adventure round Europe with my family.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I 'd like to introduce myself
My name is Thomas McDonald
I'm from the North West of England (Chorley, Lancashire)
My current rig is a 2014 ford ranger which i'm in the process of selling, i'm selling my rig to fund a new project which is a 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter van build. the plan for the new van is to adventure round Europe with my family.
The Sprinter is an amazing rig we had one with us on the Mohave Road here in CA USA a couple of years ago and it performed very well. Even with opposing tires off the ground.

SAM_0280.JPG

CJCapps

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

PA
Member #

Hello.
My name is Chris, I’m from Philly and I have a 2001 Xterra I bought a few years ago for car camping, mostly with my granddaughter who is now 9. We are two adventurous girls who camp, hike, bike, canoe, kayak and geocache. (I am a young-ish MiMom)...so, I looked up my truck when I got it and holy shit it looks like this thing has potential to be a beast. I’ve been watching videos now and then and I am interested in the TNJT. I have never done any sort of off-roading aside from some dirt roads here and there and it seems like that would be a good place to start. Oh, we also like to fish.

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Everyone! New Overland Bound member # 14230! Here's the info:

1) Picture (Below)
2) Gastonia NC
3) 2016 JK
4) Overlanding Experience... none but getting there. Started hiking to tent camping locations and such. Stepped up to a popup which was actually great. Pulled it behind the Outback. Decided to take the next step up because we thought we wanted bigger so we stepped up to a class A. The more and more we thought about it and watched some of the most beautiful scenery on some of the overlanding channels on the tube we decided we would just as much rather convert my Jeep into a camping load of fun. We typically spend the weekends in the Appalachian mountains here in NC hiking so we thought it would be a great way to get out quickly and enjoy the outdoor more.

We are looking forward to Overland Bound East in Ashville and learning more as we go. One of the main reasons coming here is for the loads of information. Really curious on the JK setups. Seems to be really hard to find a lot of rigs that are JK's in the Jeep family versus the JKU. Pointers to good posts showing rigs would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 66243

There are several meet-ups in your area, so if your interested check out the meet-up page of the forum.

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R
@Jimmy Schantz

Rred

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hello all, I’m new to overland but not off-road. I’m more interested in trails and exploring rather the mud pits these days. Looking forward to getting out there and meet like minded people.

Vehicle: 1994 YJ I6 auto on 31x10.5
Experience: Level mud junky
What's up SW MI! I'm in NWI! We'll have to meet up for some exploring.

Reactions: YJ day tripper

Julie Thomas

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Julie,
I hope your ready for a change in temperature. I grew up in Niceville and live in Sandpoint ID now. We have a great little group up here in the Coeur d'alene and Spokane area. When do you head this way?
Oh I am so ready! We’ve been in Florida for 6 years now but I’m not from here so I’m definitely ready for the change. We are going to be there the beginning of October. I can’t wait to see how it is out there. I’m still trying to figure out this site. I’ve been looking for some good groups out there