Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Hello. I am a new guy from WV. I was shown this site from a friend of mine who purchased Emblem number 778 for me. Anyway..

Proudly a West Virginia native
I own a 2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 V8
I consider myself a intermediate overlander/off roader

I have spent countless hours planning and building my truck. I had a lot of help from my friend (member 779). I have completed the following mods:

ARE brand topper with custom roof rack
35 gallon aux fuel cell with in cab gauge - plumbed into filler neck
Bullmaxx brush guard (galvanized then plasti dipped)
Custom front hitch (winch mount)
LED lights
Mayhem metal works steering rack brace
OX locked rear 8.6" AAM axle with electric shifter
ARB (RD148) locked front cast iron differential from a Hummer H3
ARB compressor
Group 31 Lifeline battery
Scangauge II with blend mount
Tekonsha P3 brake controller
Kenwood head unit with rear view camera
AVT tuned PCM - stabilitrak and traction control delete
On star delete and removal
265/70/R17 - Goodyear Authorities x 5 (matching spare wheel and tire)
Superskidz skid plates
Rock sliders
ARB 50 quart fridge
Misc interior/exterior mods...weathertech floor mats/rain guards etc...

I am sure I missed something, but that pretty much sums it up. I will post a couple pics during the daytime tomorrow. I am glad to be a member and look forward to meeting up to do some exploring.
Welcome to the group, looks like you have quite the rig.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

B

BPD53

Welcome to the site. Apparently the Colorados have the same steering rack bracket issues we deal with in the H3. Had not heard of Mayhem Metal Works unit. I'm running the very similar unit from Outfitter Designs.
The OEM steering bracket on the Colorados are the same as the H3. They are junk! I think the upgraded bracket is one of my best mods. Getting that steering rack out was a pain. I saw the Outfitter Designs unit and it is pretty much the same as Mayhem Metal Works. I really like seeing the H3 guys because I pretty much built my truck to copy an H3.

Reactions: beardedtraveler

vasily

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler II

Hey everyone. Finally getting around to making a footprint on the forum.

My wife and I are based out of Atlanta. We're not hard core wheelers or anything, we just like exploring remote places.

We have a bone stock 03 4Runner limited V8 with KO2s and a stock 97 Defender 90.

Looking forward to sharing in the adventure.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454512571.650742.jpg

- One life. Live it.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

My wife and I are based out of Atlanta. We're not hard core wheelers or anything, we just like exploring remote places.

We have a bone stock 03 4Runner limited V8 with KO2s and a stock 97 Defender 90.

View attachment 1866

- One life. Live it.
Welcome to OB and nice quote down there at the bottom.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army

View attachment 1866

- One life. Live it.
There are many of us who aren't hard core wheelers. I'll gladly take a detour around an obstacle if I can. I just build my rig to make it as capable as possible to tackle almost any situation. You have two very capable rigs, right off the production line. Nice.

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB

View attachment 1866

- One life. Live it.
Welcome to the Group,

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

View attachment 1866

- One life. Live it.
Greetings from Ball Ground! Are y'all on the Northside? Love that defender, by the way!

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

The OEM steering bracket on the Colorados are the same as the H3. They are junk! I think the upgraded bracket is one of my best mods. Getting that steering rack out was a pain. I saw the Outfitter Designs unit and it is pretty much the same as Mayhem Metal Works. I really like seeing the H3 guys because I pretty much built my truck to copy an H3.
That bracket is junk. I bent it pretty good on a wheeling trip to TN about 5 years ago. Didn't know it until leaving the off road park and got on the road. As the front end would raise or lower the alignment would change. Was an interesting drive back to FL but my dealer replace it under warranty. I do feel much better with it installed. The kits look very much alike. I have a build thread in that section of what I have done to mine, would like to see what you have done and plan on doing to yours.

B

BPD53

That bracket is junk. I bent it pretty good on a wheeling trip to TN about 5 years ago. Didn't know it until leaving the off road park and got on the road. As the front end would raise or lower the alignment would change. Was an interesting drive back to FL but my dealer replace it under warranty. I do feel much better with it installed. The kits look very much alike. I have a build thread in that section of what I have done to mine, would like to see what you have done and plan on doing to yours.
I hear ya! I had a warranty claim at 19,000 miles on the rack bushing and still had trouble. I was on the phone with GM to resolve the issue, but still had to take matters into my own hands. I would also like to know about your rig considering the Colorado and H3 have alot in common.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I hear ya! I had a warranty claim at 19,000 miles on the rack bushing and still had trouble. I was on the phone with GM to resolve the issue, but still had to take matters into my own hands. I would also like to know about your rig considering the Colorado and H3 have alot in common.
I had a great relationship with the Hummer dealership staff and they took care of so many things they shouldn't have. At the same time as the rack bracket (probably at around 12K miles) they also repaired one of my fenders under warranty which I ripped off on the trail. Definitely not a warranty issue. Oh how I miss those days.

Reactions: benmmc and murps
B

BPD53

image.jpeg MarkW,
I read your build thread. Wow! You have made a very capable H3. I think you did a good job of not "going to far" with your mods.

I just took a quick photo of my Colorado. It is not a great off road action shot, but you'll get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Hello Everyone!

Michael/ Big Tuna Reporting in from Fort Mohave, AZ!
My rig is Pegasus, a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7L.
Experience: Pretty Darn Minimal. I've owned this Jeep for nearly 4 years, and only started building 'er seriously around 2 years ago!
I enjoy forums like this, with people from all around & every type of rig!
Pegasus ends up being a "guinea pig" for small experiments I end up doing, Such as testing out some recent-gen LED bulb replacements, or my "hodgepodge" audio setup. I'll start a build thread soon!
Here's a picture. It's a year old picture, but the best picture ever taken of my rig. She looks much different now.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Hello Everyone!

Experience: Pretty Darn Minimal. I've owned this Jeep for nearly 4 years, and only started building 'er seriously around 2 years ago!
Pegasus ends up being a "guinea pig" for small experiments I end up doing, Such as testing out some recent-gen LED bulb replacements, or my "hodgepodge" audio setup. I'll start a build thread soon!
Here's a picture. It's a year old picture, but the best picture ever taken of my rig. She looks much different now.

WELCOME!

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

View attachment 1907 MarkW,
I read your build thread. Wow! You have made a very capable H3. I think you did a good job of not "going to far" with your mods.

I just took a quick photo of my Colorado. It is not a great off road action shot, but you'll get the idea.
Thanks I do appreciate it. Try to make every mod something that is actually beneficial and not just for show or going overboard. You have a great looking Colorado. I have always liked them and would definitely consider one for my next wheeling rig if something were to happen to my H3.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the forum, and nice looking Jeep. Looking forward to your build thread. If I ever finish my Wrangler, I'm going to start modding the GC. We have an 07' with the 5.7L V8. Would like to do something with it one of these days.