First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi folks,

after lurking on YouTube for a while and dreaming of exploring eventually, I finally pulled the trigger and joined the community.

I had a few rough months on top of two already challenging years, and while there is light at the end of the tunnel, my batteries have been completely drained. Before jumping into anything new, I feel like I need to take some time for myself to settle down, recharge, and think about what I actually want to do in life. The last few years feel a bit like on autopilot, and I need to make some changes to prevent ending up in a similar situation again in a few years time.

While thinking about this situation I was reminded of some of the Overland Bound videos, and What I really Think about Overlanding in particular really resonated with me. I always talked about traveling Europe, hiking or mountain biking, and picking up photography as a hobby again. It didn't click for me until now, but with hindsight I feel like I've known for a long time that I needed to get into the outdoors again and reconnect with nature.

I live in the Netherlands, which is both very densely populated and in large parts artificial land. Especially where I live, everything piece of nature is a park and there isn't much wilderness to explore. As a complete novice when it comes to travel and camping, I'm looking to do smaller weekend trips through winter and stay in hotels/hostels/..., and then slowly extend my comfort zone into camping come spring. My mid-term goal is to spend a few weeks on the road exploring either Scandinavia or Iberia, hopefully in the summer of next year.

For now I'll be traveling with my Saab 9-7X (a re-badged Chevy Trailblazer), but I'm strongly considering treating myself to something that has better parts coverage in Europe and is easier to modify long-term. Think Land Cruiser 120 or similar.

Looking forward to meeting you on the trail!
Hello Jan, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello All,

If there's a level below beginner that would be me.

Now, if there was a ranking for obessive youtube watching, web researching and forum reading, I'd be expert master supreme.

However, I am very quickly getting to that point where I need to actually start interacting with people who know and do this stuff vs reading and watching about it.

Therefore here I am and I look forward to picking your brains.

As for me, I'm in the Ottawa area up in Canada.

Current rig is so wholly incapable of overlanding it's not worth mentioning. Looking to change that in the new year and I'm currently targeting a late model Xterra Pro 4X.

I have some big plans for the new year so, assuming all the stars align, I'll be seeing you out on the trails soon enough!
Hello Justin, welcome to the OB family.

Reactions: Shahn and Kent R

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Rig: Frankenstein 3rd Gen 4Runner
‘96 Limited base, mostly parted from a ‘00 SR5
3.4 just shy of 430k miles
5 speed
E-Locker
Experience: Not sure how much technical overlandIng I’ve been doing; but She’s my hunting rig, so I’ve been using her to venture the National forests and other public lands in search of quail, woodcock, and ducks since 2012
Hello Shane, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Greetings All,

Rig: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - new rig for me and I’m working on prepping it for overlanding
Overlanding Experience: Novice
Looking forward to learning from the community and meeting new folks on the trail.
Hello Bob, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Howdy Overlanders!

I’m a Bay Area Over landing novice, having picked up a 2005 Grand Cherokee this year. Ive put a “2 lift and some 32’s on it, and I’ve done some of Usal road and the Old Coast Road and I look forward to more adventures!
Cheers!
Huffy
Hello Huffy, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi, in the Netherlands, Europe, driving 1975, 2.25l 4 cyl diesel, lightweight Land Rover 88”, ex military. This winter going to repair some overdue rust spots on the fire wall and footwells. Rest of the car is aluminum so maintenance free.
Hello Pete, welcome to the OB family and thank you for your service.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi folks. My wife and I are retired teachers, and have traveled the world in rental vehicles, sometimes staying in hotels, and sometimes camping. With the pandemic making travel difficult, we decided to buy a 2021 Jeep Gladiator, and outfit it for travel. It is so much easier to travel in the JT, rather than in than my 1984 CJ7. We drove the JT to Alaska, and the Artic Ocean from California last summer. As parts become easier to buy, we have dreams of driving through Latin America, and Africa. Let's see what happens. Adventure before dementia!View attachment 216541
Hello Andrew, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Jeep Gladiator 2021
Currently in the Midwest

My family has gone camping and exploring all my life. We want to go beyond the traditional campground. Looking forward to the group’s experience and advice. We are planning our next trip from Washington to Missouri in the Spring.

~Eilene and Gene
Hello Eilene & Gene, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello fellow overlanders

Name is Chad, I'm from Upstate SC

I'm a maker of sorts, woodworking/carpentry and welding/metal fabrication.

I've been the owner of several modified Jeeps the latest (within past couple of years) being a TJ and Lifted ZJ with all sorts of gear.

I'm a novice to the overlanding realm but experienced to the offroading size of things. Basically I'm used to trailering my rig, wheeling then finding a hotel near by haha.

My Daily is a concrete queen 2020 Grand Cherokee High Altitude.

My recent purchase and current OverlandRig/project is an LS Powered 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 with a 2" lift.

Over the next 7 months I plan to create a unique yet very capable rig for a 1 month trip throughout various states with my Son.

I hope to be of some help and look forward to the experience in this group.
Hello Chad, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey everyone, just joined from the San Francisco Bay Area,. I definitely want to connect with other Overlanders in the local area. Currently building a very special 4x4 E350 Van, of my own design, as it is my profession.

Looking forward to sharing it with everyone.

-Jamison
Hello Jamison, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Howdy Folks,

My name is Sean Funch and I am a novice overlander with a love for first-gen Tacomas. I am actually still looking for my first rig but I am taking a look at a serious rig tomorrow and will report back my findings. I am located in the East Bay Area, California and I look forward to meeting some of you!
Hello Sean, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi to everyone,

New to the community been watching OB videos for a couple yrs now, decided it's time to get involved. We are interested in the different places people have been looking forward to checking out the maps. We usually take 2-3 day trips last couple yrs, looking forward to putting longer trips in the schedule. We joined this community for all of the resources it has to offer. Our current rigs

2008 200 Series Land Cruiser
2012 FJ Cruiser
2018 Ram 2500 cummins

Pics Included Below

I have a question we joined the membership but I don't see anything stated as member with our avatar??
Hello Dan, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Everybody,
New family joining OB community. We are Novices at overlanding Looks pretty awesome and we are excited to be apart of it!
Our Rig is a 2002 GMC YUKON SLE 4x4 with 200K miles (first car my wife and i purchased together) see pics below. Looking forward to seeing you guys on the trail!
-Porters
Hello Matt, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
HI my name is Bec
I'm from Queensland Australia
I have a 2019 subaru forester and have a camel 2008 beachcomber camper trailer
I'm a novice but really keen to build things for my camper trailer and go all over Australia.
Hello Bec, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
New member, old fart. Just bought a 22 Frontier Pro4x a few weeks ago. Have been taking every dirt road, with the wife of 40 years, that we could find. We were doing it long before the term Overlanding came about. We spent most our life on the West coast and the last 15 years in Gods Country SE Tennessee. Just a few miles from Scorpian Offroad Concepts in Cleveland. Glad to be here! Any other Pro 4X guys?
Hello Andrew, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
View attachment 216757
Rig Info: 2010 Jeep Rubicon
Experience: Light camping/hiking trips with no technical trail experience.

My Fiance and I love the outdoors and am looking at trying to build capable overlanding vehicle. Looking forward to working on building it out so we can enjoy some backcountry trails!View attachment 216757
Hello Greg, welcome to the OB family.