May 7th Georgia Traverse Trip

• HTML tutorial

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Huntsville, AL/Dahlonega, GA
Member #

Mid September was my first trip with Overland Bound members. Our goal was to scout out the Georgia Traverse by covering as many miles of it as we could in one weekend. Starting in the Suches, GA area, we headed East and covered roughly 100 miles of the Traverse reaching NC before running out of weekend and having to turn back around. THIS time we hope to run through it start to finish.

As of now the trip is planned for the 7th of May 2017. We will be starting on the AL/GA border, finishing the Traverse on the GA/SC border and then heading back by means of the Traverse as well.

The meetup location is currently set at the Piggly Wiggly in Cedar Bluff, AL; only 10 miles from the trail head. Here we can make any last supply runs and gas up. The trip is estimated to take about 6-7 days. I am posting this pretty darn early because for one, I'm excited and two, so everyone can plan and/or take off work accordingly. I hope to round up a pretty decent sized crew and meet many more of you in the area.

Going:
@John
@Esteban
@Conrad318
@William Harris Jenkins
and guests

Below are some pictures from the last trip. Locations include, Tray Mountain, Helen GA, and Charlie's Creek.

Last edited:

uh1medic

Rank III
Launch Member
Supporter +

Contributor I

North Georgia
Member #

John, me and the boys might try this one. The only problem is getting off work and school. We might do the first couple days and have to bug out. Then meet up for the end.

Reactions: JMY24

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

John, me and the boys might try this one. The only problem is getting off work and school. We might do the first couple days and have to bug out. Then meet up for the end.
That would be fine with me! I understand scheduling conflicts, but even a few short days to get out and meet you all would be spectacular. The plan above is still the same. If anything changes I will let you know!

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

Alrighty well May 7th will be here sooner than later! Again, the trip will start the 7th and I estimate will take between 5-7 days to complete. You can meet up with us late, or leave early, whatever you can make! Start DMing me if you are considering making it

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Sounds awesome! I'd be there if I didn't have an OB meeting in Florida that day!!

Wish I knew before. Would have just merged the two affairs.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TrailWhale

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynn Center, IL
Member #

Hope this trip goes well for you all, had a blast last time out with you, just finishing up my vacation in Ireland currently and wishing I had my truck (not that it would fit on these roads). Post some pics for those of us that can't make it.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Esteban

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chattanooga, TN 37406
Member #

So due to some guys being called into work and others breaking their rigs days before the trip, I was the only one to set off on this journey. However I improvised and only really did a small portion of the GT, but did spend 7 days and 6 nights in the woods. I was originally dispatching out of Chattanooga so instead of going South to the AL/GA Border, my pup and I went East the the Lake Oconee where we began Overlanding. Cherokee NF => Cohutta NF => Rich Mountain NF=> Blueridge NF then back to Rich Mountain NF. Going solo allowed me to explore some areas of interest that I had been meaning to see for awhile.
Some Pictures are Below and Videos were posted to my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/esteban.carlos.urrea.18 IMG_1835.JPG IMG_2000.JPG IMG_1990.JPG GOPR0116.JPG IMG_1852.JPGIMG_1892.JPG

Reactions: cosmoblu and hcm

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

Looks awesome. That's what I get for being MIA. tried to check your FB, think you have it set to friend's only to see the pics / videos.