Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Well I assure you they work fine in snow and ice. We used them last winter in -32 celcius to recover our F150 . I give the F150 example because nay Sayers may say sure they work on a light weight Jeep but won't stand up to full size lifted trucks. They work awesome. In the end every one has a story, I maintain you get what you pay for.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

They sat in the back bed over the winter through all manner of snow, freezing rain, frozen solid, thawed and refrozen. Still work, worked fine this summer again. No cracks or chips.

Reactions: PilotPete

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I've only every had to use them in the winter. Worked fine under a 1/2 ton pick up and my Outback. However spinning my studded Outback tires on them did cause some accelerated wear.

I generally keep them in the Outback during the winter. Rarely take them wheeling.

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Stirring up a slightly older thread here, but bought Smittybilt ones quite some time ago as MaxTrax were just too cost prohibitive to get them in Canada. I used my Smittybilt ones for the first time the other day, and I'm impressed. It took me longer to remove them from my roof mount than to self-rescue with them!

traction plates
by e j, on Flickr

Reactions: khorsa

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

X-Bull $85 a pair and free shipping on eBay. They come with a carrying bag. Buy two sets and still save money over Maxtrax. Be sure to get the 10 ton model. Check YouTube for reviews. Great product.
Great option for US but unfortunately not Canada. Over $100 for shipping! Smittybilt from 4WP at $200 is the cheapest I've found here.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

ob4838

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah
Member #

I have the X-bull boards now, I have not used them yet, never needed to. I have aired down and dug out before I had them. And my Superior driving skills keeps me going down the road. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using OB Talk mobile app

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I broke my MaxTrax the second time I used them in some snow on the Rubicon. I wont be buying them again. The cheapos have been known to break as well. I spent a good amount of time fabing up brackets to use the MaxTrax mounts (which are great btw) on my rack. If I'm stuck, ill just use my winch. Don't think these substitute for a winch by any means.

I tried the MaxTrax in sand first as a test and they didn't work well. Then when I was actually spinning tires in the snow and really needed them, they cracked badly at the tips. Spend money on a winch.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I broke my MaxTrax the second time I used them in some snow on the Rubicon. I wont be buying them again. The cheapos have been known to break as well. I spent a good amount of time fabing up brackets to use the MaxTrax mounts (which are great btw) on my rack. If I'm stuck, ill just use my winch. Don't think these substitute for a winch by any means.

I tried the MaxTrax in sand first as a test and they didn't work well. Then when I was actually spinning tires in the snow and really needed them, they cracked badly at the tips. Spend money on a winch.
I'm curious about your technique. Did you do any digging before placing them in front of the tires or did you just jam them under the tires and let the vehicles weight shove them down?

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I'm curious about your technique. Did you do any digging before placing them in front of the tires or did you just jam them under the tires and let the vehicles weight shove them down?
There was snow and ice on the ground. I can't totally remember since it was almost 2 years ago. Wheels were spinning on ice so we used the MaxTrax for extra traction. I have BFG KM2s and don't let them spin. They helped me out but broke. I also used the winch a few places. The Rubicon in the snow is brutal. After 6 to 8 hours, we got less than a mile... lol...but it was a beautiful day on the trail.

Reactions: The other Sean

Dziedzic

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kern County, California, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Dziedzic
Member #

Anyone ever try go treads? They fold up nice and neat, they’re like $60 individually, and I think they would be ideal for leveling a truck or trailer. Saw them at overland expo west this year and have been debating between those or maxtrax.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I've seen someone using the aluminum military runway sections as trax before. Anyone have experience with that?
Used them a long time ago and they worked great just had trouble storing them.

gargamel05

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area
Member #

In my opinion, MaxTrax are worth the premium primarily because they invented the design and invested in R&D and marketing. "X-Bull" and so many others just straight up ripped off their design and have them manufactured in China for cheap. It's hard to invent something, it's easy to copy it.

I suggest buying the original or find a unique alternative instead of supporting this behavior. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Amen!!! People need to understand the meaning of, "You get what you pay for". Maxtrax are expensive for a reason. I've seen cheap ones on rigs in my area. They're so thin that they warp super easy smh. Just my 2 cents...

marblewan

Rank 0

Traveler I

X-BULL Recovery
They measure: X-Bull 10 Ton rated, 41" x 11" and two stacked measure 4 1/8". & MaxTrax 5 Ton rated, 45" x 13" and two MaxTrax stacked measure 3.1/2". So obviously the MaxTrax is wider and longer and stacks thinner but costs $300.00 for two plus shipping . X-Bull costs $65.00 for two and ships to your door for free. That's $130.00 for four X-Bull recovery tracks, half the cost of two MaxTrax's.
upload_2017-11-9_14-24-48.png
$65.00 on eBay. per pair.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-BULL-Recovery-Traction-Off-Road-Tracks-Sand-Snow-Track-Tire-Ladder-4WD-Black/332129122306?epid=676771258&hash=item4d54703802:g:1f8AAOSwB-1YpliH
upload_2017-11-9_14-29-22.png

A Single track is about 2 7/16", two stacked is 4 1/8", so each stacked track adds just about 1 11/16" (info courtesy of "brien" member #3553)

You thoughts?

OCD7785

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Goose Creek, SC
Member #

If space and size are a concern check out GO TREADS they collapse up nice and you can get extension pieces. Just an option. A set of two @ $100