MAXTRAX

• HTML tutorial

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

There are cheaper alternatives. I ordered mine today through Amazon today (X-Bull Recovery Tracks @ $90), but since I haven't used them yet I can't give you my feedback on them.

Reactions: Samuel Brown

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
In my opinion, MaxTrax are worth the premium primarily because they invented the design and invested in R&D and marketing. "X-Bull" and so many others just straight up ripped off their design and have them manufactured in China for cheap. It's hard to invent something, it's easy to copy it.

I suggest buying the original or find a unique alternative instead of supporting this behavior. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I have the Maxsa boards and I've had them side by side with the Maxtrax. I do not believe in the "magical military grade nylon" marketing nonsense. Anyone who knows actual military specs, like when something says Mil Spec knows that it's been labeled that to make the general public think it's something magical. Maxtraxs wording on their magical polymers reads as MARKETING HYPERBOLE.

Now, I can't say all plastics are the same, because that's not true. But for what it's worth, the cheap models appear to be just as rugged. I've used mine a few times on fullsize 3/4 ton trucks. Still holding up just fine.

The downside is that the Maxtrax seem to be the best at stacking and have the best mounting options out there. But for what they are, they're about $150 over priced. But, at the same time, it seems to work for them because they're billing themselves as the "original" premium NAMED BRAND that "real overlanders" invest money in.

The fact of the matter is though, Maxtrax also wears out with a lot of use. So, do you want to sink $349 dollars or $90

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have the Maxsa boards and I've had them side by side with the Maxtrax. I do not believe in the "magical military grade nylon" marketing nonsense. Anyone who knows actual military specs, like when something says Mil Spec knows that it's been labeled that to make the general public think it's something magical. Maxtraxs wording on their magical polymers reads as MARKETING HYPERBOLE.

Now, I can't say all plastics are the same, because that's not true. But for what it's worth, the cheap models appear to be just as rugged. I've used mine a few times on fullsize 3/4 ton trucks. Still holding up just fine.

The downside is that the Maxtrax seem to be the best at stacking and have the best mounting options out there. But for what they are, they're about $150 over priced. But, at the same time, it seems to work for them because they're billing themselves as the "original" premium NAMED BRAND that "real overlanders" invest money in.

The fact of the matter is though, Maxtrax also wears out with a lot of use. So, do you want to sink $349 dollars or $90
Pretty much the one thing I have seen / heard first hand from friends is the issue of cracking in cold temps. I have a friend with the Tred Pro's and he said he has some small cracking on the edges. Due to the cold we get here in MN and the fact that at least half of my usage will be in winter, I'm going to go with maxtrax.

leeandamy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Orange, Texas
Member #

IMG_1653.JPG
This is some testing I did with Traction Jacks.
Anyone tried the Smittybilt ones?
I've looked at them but have yet seen them being used or used for that matter. For the price I'd say they would help get you out, but not sure how long they will last. Definitely cheaper made than others.

leeandamy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Orange, Texas
Member #

I've seen someone using the aluminum military runway sections as trax before. Anyone have experience with that?
Yes they are extremely solid but on the expensive end, and more importantly harder to find a set of 4. Maxtrax has the win but not by much.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Smittybuilt has there own version they are a little cheaper.
There are also sand ladders used by Landrover and Unimog crews not sure what they cost....last I checked into $ was 5 years ago and I thought they were expensive. Plus I had tried to and couldn't find a dealer in North America (I gave up looking....I didn't look that hard)
I looked at some of the others mentioned earlier but landed hard on Maxtrax.
I bought 4 maxtrax couple years ago for our LJ and am very happy with them and their quality. I love em.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: aearles