• HTML tutorial

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

Hey all,

Looking ahead to outfitting my rig, I was just wondering if there was something special about Maxtrax themselves, or if, in your experience, the slightly less expensive competitors like TRED are essentially just as good.

Thanks!

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I just picked up a pair of Gotreads at the Overland Expo East. They were tested under deuce and a halfs and semi tractor trailer rigs. haven't used mine yet, but I like the fact they are easy to store and deploy. And the price is wallet friendly.

Check em' out... Gotreads.com

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I just picked up a pair of Gotreads at the Overland Expo East. They were tested under deuce and a halfs and semi tractor trailer rigs. haven't used mine yet, but I like the fact they are easy to store and deploy. And the price is wallet friendly.
Those are interesting, light, and definitely wallet friendly.

I waited for a sale and picked up http://tractionjack.com/

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Those are interesting, light, and definitely wallet friendly.

I waited for a sale and picked up http://tractionjack.com/
I was looking at those, also. Then I saw the Gotreads at the Expo and ended up talking to the inventor's son while looking at some heavy rigs. The price was right and even though they had sold out at the Expo, they gave me the Expo price and free shipping. We will see if I can break them this winter.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I recently went against my standard policy of buying American/buying "proven", and ordered a set of Maxsa Innovations Escaper Buddies from Amazon. They look virtually identical to MaxTrax, though they are apparently not quite as sturdy, nor do they stack as tightly. But, they are also about half the price, so I went for it. Haven't used them yet... They look and feel good, though I wouldn't want to use them for bridging any gaps or anything.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I recently went against my standard policy of buying American/buying "proven", and ordered a set of Maxsa Innovations Escaper Buddies from Amazon. They look virtually identical to MaxTrax, though they are apparently not quite as sturdy, nor do they stack as tightly. But, they are also about half the price, so I went for it. Haven't used them yet... They look and feel good, though I wouldn't want to use them for bridging any gaps or anything.
Because they are foldable, the Gotreads can't be used for bridging. But, that was never my intention anyway, so no problem. They are made in the USA.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

You got some good feedback and I really can't offer too much more except to say that when each and every competitor to a product says, "We are just as good as...." then get the the one they are talking about. I got a set of Maxtrax for my truck and winced at the price but the alternative may be more painful when I spin out and watch a "less expensive but just as good as" product turn to a pile of liquid plastic.

IMHO......or just be sure you are wheeling with folks with Maxtrax.....

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

I've found this pretty helpful with decision making. I was able to put my hands on a set of Maxtrax at Southeast Overland in Seneca, SC and they seemed solid and durable enough for anything I'd throw at them. I'll probably buy them a pair at a time.

Great video, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Sean S

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

Check em' out... Gotreads.com
Huh, interesting. I've never seen those before. Looks like they work really well for the car in the video, but I'd be curious to hear how they work for you on the trail.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

A little tip on using any of these traction devices... Get some nylon webbing and make yourself a 20-30ft leash for each one. Tie off the other end of the leash to your rear bumper/tow-hitch/whatever (being sure that it won't get caught up on an axle. As you drive over them, if you're in a position where stopping will get you stuck again, you can just keep driving and drag them along with you for easy retrieval once you're in a good place to stop.

Obviously, this is NOT recommended for use under your front tires!!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I picked up a pair of Maxtrax about a month ago in preparation for my last adventure up through VT from Brattleboro to Putney.
They came highly recommended from the folks at Rhino-Rack who actually make two mounts for Maxtrax that mount to Rhino's platforms, racks, etc.

I did a considerable amount of research before I dropped the $300+ on them and what I concluded was that, though they were the most expensive option out there, they were also the most widely used - with very little negative press, if any (besides the price). You would figure that if they weren't suitable for the job that someone would have said something like now and it would have spread like wildfire.

I have yet to use them in any extreme conditions (it's been relatively dry up here in New England and it hasn't snow yet), but I like knowing I've got something that a majority of us folks off-roading are using.

Peace of mind goes a long way.

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

I picked up a pair of Maxtrax about a month ago in preparation for my last adventure up through VT from Brattleboro to Putney.
They came highly recommended from the folks at Rhino-Rack who actually make two mounts for Maxtrax that mount to Rhino's platforms, racks, etc.

I did a considerable amount of research before I dropped the $300+ on them and what I concluded was that, though they were the most expensive option out there, they were also the most widely used - with very little negative press, if any (besides the price). You would figure that if they weren't suitable for the job that someone would have said something like now and it would have spread like wildfire.

I have yet to use them in any extreme conditions (it's been relatively dry up here in New England and it hasn't snow yet), but I like knowing I've got something that a majority of us folks off-roading are using.

Peace of mind goes a long way.
That makes perfect sense! $300ish for the pair, or each?

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

That makes perfect sense! $300ish for the pair, or each?
It's for the pair, and though some folks get 2 pair, if you've never needed them before - starting off with a single pair will do you just fine.
Anything can happen, but it's not like your off-road location or driving habits are going to change so drastically that you need to dump all that money on 4 resin platforms... Yet..
Hahah

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

It's for the pair, and though some folks get 2 pair, if you've never needed them before - starting off with a single pair will do you just fine.
Anything can happen, but it's not like your off-road location or driving habits are going to change so drastically that you need to dump all that money on 4 resin platforms... Yet..
Hahah
...yet. LOL

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

I bit the bullet and bought two pairs of MaxTrax. They are worth their weight in gold in no traction situations. My wife and I went to Pismo beach this summer and used the maxtrax to help get a dually 2wd out of a soft sand situation. They worked amazing. I have yet to use them for bridging or for creating a better departure angle on obstacles, but have seen it done with them doubled up.

Also, as a side note, the maxtrax come with a removable leash for each piece so that you can pull them out of sand/ mud whatever.

They are pricey, but as with many things in life, you get what you pay for. . .