Mattress/pad in the back of the 4X4 Questions

• HTML tutorial

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I have a flat area in the back of the Cruiser that can fit a queen sized mattress.

Tried it last week and all we had was a blow up mattress for the Wifey and me.

Problem is.... that it's 10-12 inches thick, and once you add bedding, it's a tight fit to the ceiling..... not to mention the noisy rubbing sound the mattress makes when rubbing against the leather...

So I am asking for advice on a good mattress option that's thinner but yet super comfy.....

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Just go to a furniture manufacturer/upholstery supply type company and get a 2 or 3" thick chunk of foam the right size. Throw a fitted sheet on it and away you go.

Something like this place. Www.thefoamking.com

Obviously I wouldn't buy it in Alberta, but you get the point. [emoji846]

Last edited:
Reactions: RiverCityDave

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
I've got this one in the back of my 4Runner.
Milliard Tri Folding Mattress Full, with Ultra Soft Removable Cover and Non-Slip Bottom

It feels great when you first lie down but I do have to shift my body weight around at night when it starts to get uncomfortable. Way better than the backpacking Thermarests we were using before though. And it folds up pretty nice.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I use one of those bi-fold workout mats. They have a faux leather texture that my sleep bag doesn't slip n' slide against, and it's about an inch and a half thick of dense foam. Might not offer enough support if you've got back issues though. Sorry but I don't have the details on the product but I can take a shot if you'd like. It works for me since I can fold it up and stow it under gear or just prop it up against the back of the rear seats standing up. It's so portable I can throw it out on the ground to sit or lay down on LOL

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Man you cant beat an inflatable for travel. All the foam options take up a lot of space when stowed. You can control the "spring rate" with air pressure, and they come in just about every thickness on earth, you don't have to go with the 12Inch model.

We have about 20 variants, some really thick ones for big tent camping, all the way down to some thin ones for light fighter use.

my .02.

Reactions: 94Cruiser