SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I may have missed the thread somewhere, but is the place where we will be setting up camp, will it be close to public restrooms? Will there be picnic tables? What is the ground like for tent camping? Muddy, dusty, rocky?

As far as food, for now I am just planning to bring enough for my family of 5. For camping, they have a certain expectation on their menu lol. I see in YouTube videos overlanders share food, we're not a sharing family when it comes to food. j/k. Our 6 year old has no filter and no patience. Just mentally planning out what to bring/not bring.
I have zero details so we're planning for dispersed camping for all things regarding meals, water, trash, hygiene stuff, etc. I love just winging it for trips, but I totally understand how it doesn't work for some folks.

For us, generally this entails at least 5gal of water, propane stove, table for food prep, chairs, maybe making a fire pit/ring if we find space for one, etc. We try to be fully self sustaining when it comes to trips where there are unknowns.
Most solo trips I'm down for sleeping in my jeep and having a cold breakfast at 6am and hitting the road, but it tends to be a bit more calm when my partner and the kid are with us.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have zero details so we're planning for dispersed camping for all things regarding meals, water, trash, hygiene stuff, etc. I love just winging it for trips, but I totally understand how it doesn't work for some folks.

For us, generally this entails at least 5gal of water, propane stove, table for food prep, chairs, maybe making a fire pit/ring if we find space for one, etc. We try to be fully self sustaining when it comes to trips where there are unknowns.
Most solo trips I'm down for sleeping in my jeep and having a cold breakfast at 6am and hitting the road, but it tends to be a bit more calm when my partner and the kid are with us.
Yup I'm all for winging it as well. Just don't wanna be that guy that didn't bring anything else for the rest of the group or bring at least a porta potty for his 6 year old lol.

If it were just me, no problemo. I'd definitely sleep in my camper shell. It's made / configured for that.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Yup I'm all for winging it as well. Just don't wanna be that guy that didn't bring anything else for the rest of the group or bring at least a porta potty for his 6 year old lol.

If it were just me, no problemo. I'd definitely sleep in my camper shell. It's made / configured for that.

Hah, I feel ya there. We're going to bring some stuff to share, not sure what yet but we often end up with a lot of extras, hehe.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Hah, I feel ya there. We're going to bring some stuff to share, not sure what yet but we often end up with a lot of extras, hehe.
We're normally good about eating all our main dishes that we've prepared. Somehow the kids eat better when they are outdoors or at restaurants lol.

Thanks Kent, we're good!

Jeff Alsterlind

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Alsterlind
Member #

Mike, I have a tentative plan to camp at Malakoff SP cabins on Friday night and join the convoy once you reach the area Saturday morning. Will that work, will I miss much? Seems silly to drive back to Grass Valley just to turn back around.

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
@Jeff Alsterlind I do not think you will miss much at all. Looking at the route, Malakauf is the first interest spot.

The only slightly interesting thing is I have asked a local OB member that does radio equipment installs to drop by
and chat with me about an estimate to install my new TM-D710 Ham radio.

See you at Malakauf. Leave some gold for us! LOL

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@Jeff Alsterlind I do not think you will miss much at all. Looking at the route, Malakauf is the first interest spot.

The only slightly interesting thing is I have asked a local OB member that does radio equipment installs to drop by
and chat with me about an estimate to install my new TM-D710 Ham radio.

See you at Malakauf. Leave some gold for us! LOL
Very nice radio!

Reactions: RoarinRow and rho

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Very nice radio!
Thanks! 20 years ago I had it's older brother, the Blue Faced TM-D7A. I still have it some where, but after moving 20 some odd times with the Navy it is lost in some brown box somewhere! LOL And it is missing a few knobs.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
We're going to try to go camp somewhere around Forest hill or sugar pine reservoir area Friday night... Not sure what else is around that area thatd be good dispersed camping tho so we're just making guesses.

Totally open to suggestions ;P

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
We're going to try to go camp somewhere around Forest hill or sugar pine reservoir area Friday night... Not sure what else is around that area thatd be good dispersed camping tho so we're just making guesses.

Totally open to suggestions ;P
Using the iOverlander app only thing I see in that area that is decent is Thousand Trails Ponderosa. GPS 38.81146, -120.90717. It an actual campground

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Using the iOverlander app only thing I see in that area that is decent is Thousand Trails Ponderosa. GPS 38.81146, -120.90717. It an actual campground
That's 56 miles south of Grass Valley. :flushed:

NDizzle

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Parker
Member #

You could look NW towards Bullards Bar, there are some campgrounds around there. You could also look further east around Lake Spaulding, I know there are some good spots at Rucker Lake, but they are first come, first serve. Fuller Lake is mostly RV stuff.

Both of those would be closer to Grass Valley, but you'll be backtracking a little bit.

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I felt some wet stuff falling from the sky today on Beale AFB! And there were no birds over head, LOL!
Could there be some moisture in store for us this weekend?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I felt some wet stuff falling from the sky today on Beale AFB! And there were no birds over head, LOL!
Could there be some moisture in store for us this weekend?
Hope not lol. Could be fun for peeps who like to go mudding.