Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Might make more sense to do cars,crossover, suv, trucks or 2wd,awd,4x4 with sub categories of independent front suspension, solid axle. We all have different ideas of getting out there is and differnt levels of difficulty to get there.
No matter how bad ass you think your car, crossover or awd is it can't go where a built 4x4 will and there is always someone else with something even more built up and capable than the next person who goes further or deeper into the backcountry.

The problem with this is if I were to post something now about going mudding or rock crawling i would get responses from people who have no business in the mud or rocks with their cars responding about how much they hate mud or rocks then the post will devolve into an cluttered argument at some point.

Don't get me wrong you can go to alot of cool places in 2wd and low clearance vehicles if you pick the right lines and have the determination to get there and aren't worried about damage.

I've watched the soft roaders do their thing at local ohv parks and I get it, it looks fun for what it is but its about the same as folks riding around on rzr side by sides. small vehicles+ small obstacles= it looks and feels like a huge obstacle= fun. The point to that is the obstacles they were high centering on and lifting wheels on is just a bump in the trail to a 4x4.

Think of it like flag football, jv, varsity, college, and NFL your not gonna let all those organizations play together someone is gonna get hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusther210

legrena

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Kyriakis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran
As for build threads... you can add tags to your posts so that you could put #GMC #Silverado #Modified ect to make it easier to search for.
I was just about to say “use proper tags” but there you go.

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
As for build threads... you can add tags to your posts so that you could put #GMC #Silverado #Modified ect to make it easier to search for.
This is the best approach; however, I would love to see discussions by tags then. I've always been a fan of how Stackoverflow (software development forum) shows discussions/questions grouped by tags. See this link and look by the Tags option in the left menu and the related tags on the right: Newest Questions - Stack Overflow

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Let me do some mulling over......

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I find those sort of sub-forums are really limiting and restrict information sharing. I'm on a RZR forum that has things broken down super, super granularly. Often there will be a question asked in a sub-sub-sub forum and the OP will get no answers. Their question might be relevant to lots of people, and many many more might have helpful input but just never go in the sub-sub-sub forums. You could have a Rigs -> Subi -> Forester sub-sub-forum and maybe a Forester owners asks a Subi 2.5 question but gets no answer because the folks that venture down into the Forester sub-sub-forum are few and far between. Had they asked in a general rigs -> technical section they could have gotten answres from non-Forester Subi owners, or even non-Subi owners who have previous Subi or just general mechanical experience.

-TJ

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I find those sort of sub-forums are really limiting and restrict information sharing. I'm on a RZR forum that has things broken down super, super granularly. Often there will be a question asked in a sub-sub-sub forum and the OP will get no answers. Their question might be relevant to lots of people, and many many more might have helpful input but just never go in the sub-sub-sub forums. You could have a Rigs -> Subi -> Forester sub-sub-forum and maybe a Forester owners asks a Subi 2.5 question but gets no answer because the folks that venture down into the Forester sub-sub-forum are few and far between. Had they asked in a general rigs -> technical section they could have gotten answres from non-Forester Subi owners, or even non-Subi owners who have previous Subi or just general mechanical experience.

-TJ
This is why I like the tagging approach instead of strict sub-forums. You could choose to see by only the Subi tag, or by the Subi + Forester tag. I definitely don't want to go into multiple nesting layers either. This may be handled by the existing search already (I'll have to play around with it). But it is nice getting info/ideas based on rigs or based on other topics (cooking, racks, storage) and you could choose how specific or broad you want to review the posts by.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not enough traffic yet.

Check out this dive forum:

They have a damn category for everything. There's more forums than posters. It's a disaster. Your search function gets even more garbled.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Maybe have sub-groups in the Oveland Rigs section. Just missing a Mid Sized Rigs section anyway :)

Rigs.JPG

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not enough traffic yet.

Check out this dive forum:

They have a damn category for everything. There's more forums than posters. It's a disaster. Your search function gets even more garbled.
Ya, that looks like it is based on some old forum tech and has been around since at least 2009.

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

I'm a bit torn on this idea. I always go to vehicle specific forums for detailed information, especially regarding maintenance and troubleshooting. I was part of tacomaworld when I had a Tacoma, a Wrangler forum when I had a TJ, and I'm active over on subaruoutback.org currently.

After browsing this forum for a while I became a member, and then a supporter, and I don't know if I would have felt the same if this forum was split up in the way you're suggesting. One of my favorite builds on here is a Ford Econoline. I'm in an Outback.

I think the other forums can handle that type of specialization. This place feels like a community and I think it's because we keep everyone in the same room.

Cheers.

LEVI_86

Rank I

Contributor III

Houston, Fort Bend County, Texas, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Toyota for reliability. Jeep gets you anywhere but just not as reliable.
I can relate to this, I’ve had 5 Jeep’s and seemed like the earlier the model, the most reliable it was. But I run a Tacoma now and it’s just hit 95k with no major issues at all. Jeep, well you will learn to fix and hands on which is good to know ? Cheers

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Haha.

Forums:
-Reliable Vehicles
-Jeep
-General Motors
-Off Topic
-Engineering that makes us want to stomp kittens

On serious note, a camper/rv/travel trailer forum would be handy. There's a ton of us basecamping and boondocking with regular campers.

Regular rv forums have nothing to do with any offroading.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My vote, if it means anything, would be against any forums on OB that would be brand specific or vehicle specific. There are a ton of forums all over the internet for brand specific trucks, suvs, and Jeeze, anything with 2 wheels or more. Got a Toyota Tech question? Go to Mud, or any one of the half dozen or so sites for Toyotas. Jeep? Subaru? Chevy? Ford? tech sites galore for each brand. OB delves into enough subjects that have little if anything to do with “ Overlanding” . Let’s stay on track.. thanks for your ears. Gonna have ear stew tonight

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I really like this idea. Because its not excluding any vehicle. Its just consolidating model specific information. Would also make vehicle specific questions easier to get answers for. Also parts sharing becomes a thing. I drive two fords. But i have six parts trucks kicking around. Someone has a break down in my area its would make it easier to strip a part and go deliver it to them on the trail if youre already in contact with people running the same rigs on a regular basis.

Reactions: legrena

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
It would be cool if in the rigs section there were categories for manufacturers and sub categories for vehicle types so people could share ideas and ask vehicle specific questions in a more central location. Ex: “Rigs->Toyota->Tacomas” or “Rigs->Subaru->Foresters”

There are great forums outside of OB but given off-roading seems to be a common part of overlanding, it seems natural to create similar spaces within this community to start building consolidated info sharing space like that for people in like vehicles. Right now you just have to do a keyword search of all the forums and search posts to find related vehicle posts. Just a thought!
I really like this idea. I wonder if it would be better suited to a Wiki than a forum, though. I like the OB Forums, but they are not the best way to lay out documentation. I think what you've proposed is more of a documentation project and less of a conversation.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
We've thought about this quite a bit - not a non-starter, but here is the basic take - we're focused on overlanding - non vehicle specific.

As a user, I personally go to IH8Mud for my 80. I wouldn't expect to find what I specifically need on Overland Bound, and as an admin, I don't think I want to try build us up to be that good a resource for 80 series owners. Vehicle specific sites do what they do well. It certainly is not that we wont include vehicle specific things - like if there were a way to turn my 80 into a de-salinization plant for sea water - that's overland related so we would be all over it! I just think the nuts and bolts of maintaining a vehicle, or what non-factory part might fit my vehicle will be better served by vehicle specific sites.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
It certainly is not that we wont include vehicle specific things - like if there were a way to turn my 80 into a de-salinization plant for sea water - that's overland related so we would be all over it! I just think the nuts and bolts of maintaining a vehicle, or what non-factory part might fit my vehicle will be better served by vehicle specific sites.
Yeah, that makes sense. The other thing I see though is that a lot of the people on the vehicle specific sites have no idea what overlanding is. They may be into offroading or camping or general hobbyist stuff, but have no real input or care about overland related things.

I guess I could make my own website specializing in "Overland related vehicle modifications and upgrades pertinent to Hummers, but not H2, H3, nor Hummer EV." But I think that'd be a ridiculously niche market.