Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shoreline, Washington 98155, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

It would be cool if in the rigs section there were categories for manufacturers and sub categories for vehicle types so people could share ideas and ask vehicle specific questions in a more central location. Ex: “Rigs->Toyota->Tacomas” or “Rigs->Subaru->Foresters”

There are great forums outside of OB but given off-roading seems to be a common part of overlanding, it seems natural to create similar spaces within this community to start building consolidated info sharing space like that for people in like vehicles. Right now you just have to do a keyword search of all the forums and search posts to find related vehicle posts. Just a thought!

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

Wouldn’t this go against “It doesn’t matter what you drive” principle?
That's a really great question. I don't think it would since it could include literally any vehicle and I didn't have the idea with any make/ model exclusivity in mind. It of course doesn't matter what you drive, I was just thinking of it from the standpoint of consolidating info into easier to search sub categories since people already post build info about their specific vehicles on here. If someone else happens to also have that same vehicle it would make it easier to find relevant content to help with their own build. If that does somehow lead to any kind of exclusion then I would completely understand why that's not a good idea. I just thought since people are already sharing vehicle specific information on here it might be an easier way to consolidate that info into easier to search forums. Just my thoughts, and I completely understand if that doesn't fit here!

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

Wouldn’t this go against “It doesn’t matter what you drive” principle?
Quick add to that: I could however see the issue for sure if the forum were used as Make/ Model pride forum. I was thinking specifically vehicle specific build info sharing. I could see how it would be tough to moderate it and keep it strictly info sharing and not a "why my vehicle is the best" forum.

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

The other problem is... there are far too many makes, models, and sub models of rigs... some rigs are very rare as overlanding goes... VW bus comes to mind as well as a 1940’s Dodge PowerWagon.
That's a very good point as well. Well it seemed like a good idea for about five minutes haha but I've come back to earth. You're right, It would definitely scale far beyond what's manageable in a very short amount of time since literally any vehicle can be used for overlanding. I sincerely appreciate the candid conversation!

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I think this is where build threads shine. There are entire forums for individual makes and models, why duplicate that. But finding a thread on a Tahoe fit up would be cool, and in some ways could help Silverado owners.
Speaking of the build thread section. Is there any way to move a thread into that category from general discussion?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign