• HTML tutorial

Explore Maine

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hartland Maine
Member #

Welc
Hey folks - when not out wandering I often stay in the Portland area, though have roots all over the US. I've met a bunch of other OB folk at Overland Expo East and when trading gear elsewhere around the c0untry, but don't think I've met any other OB-ers from Maine, yet. @Big110 and I keep threatening to meet up but haven't made it happen yet. We're both gone a lot.

I'm a van guy and have a kick-ass off-road trailer I just love. I've been gearing up for another long cross-country trip which may include a lot of Canada and western provinces, maybe into Alaska.

I'm down for another meet when it gets a bit nicer out. In the meantime though, if any of you are coming to Portland for anything and would like to meet up for a coffee or beer, let me know.
Maybe we can plan an outing of 2-3 vehicles to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia or somewhere.

View attachment 45905

View attachment 45906
I'm north of you I live in the Newport area. Nice fat bike, what is it?
14650755_1141356562643540_3849858341210258132_n.jpg

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It's a Sondors X. Far as I know I was the first person in New England to get one, as the X had just come out. They'd been single speed with standard front fork and less powerful batt before that. The X has a 17.5Ah battery in the triangle and a 500w motor in the rear hub, with a 7-speed derailleur.

It's rugged as hell, rugged frame, great LCD with 5 levels of assist and all sorts of info on screen, and has proven to be my second best investment in off-grid/off-road gear. First best is my trailer. This bike was much less expensive than most e-Bikes I've seen, especially mountain e-Bikes. Saw some that weren't even electric at REI for between $2500-3000 and I ran into all sorts of people around the country when traveling that spent two and three times as much for their e-bike as I did for this Sondors. Hasn't given me a bit of trouble yet.

Here's a pic from Big Bend when I went for an eight mile morning ride to scout a primitive campsite. I was told some of the deeper arroyos may be washed out and they'd likely be too rocky for my van and trailer, and too narrow to turn around. Turned out to all be passable enough. Scouting it on my bike instead of on foot was so much easier.

roaddude_sondors_bigbend-0831.jpg

What's that bike in your pic? Sounds like we need to meet up and try out our bikes together somewhere!

Road

Last edited:
Reactions: Explore Maine

Explore Maine

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hartland Maine
Member #

I have two fat bike both are big box store bikes that have been modified the one in the picture above is a Mongoose Beast single speed and my other one is a Triax Fracture which is also a single speed with lower gearing for the winter.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Recent new member from North Conway, NH
Welcome, @MECA !

Ever hear the story of the ol' farmer out your way, though closer to Fryeburg, who got a knock on the door one morning?

Was some government surveyors who asked permission to walk his farm, 'cause it was right on the Maine/New Hampshire border and with new technology, they were verifying and updating official maps.

He said "Why sure, you just lemme know when yah leavin' if yah would so I can lock up the gate."

They came back at the end of the day and said they had interesting news.

The ol' farmer said "Ayuh, what's that?"

They told him that with the new technology they'd determined his farm wasn't actually in Maine, but was almost all of it in New Hampshire.

"Well, thank the good Lawd Almighty!" the ol' farmer said, "I don't think I coulda stood another one of them Maine wintahs!"

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’d be game for an overland overnight when the weather gets better. Brews and bonfires somewhere in Maine.
Sounds good to me, @DirigoOverland-Nate, and nice to meet you. I'm just down the road in Portland for a bit before getting back out there, if you ever want to go talk adventures over a beer.

Explore Maine

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hartland Maine
Member #

if anyone's interested I'm doing a coastal daytrip at the end of the month on the 30th starting at the Quoddy head lighthouse in Lubec at 8am then traveling along the coast stopping at several historical sites and ending the trip with dinner at Primos restaurant located at 2 Main St, Rockland..

HOT-ROD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sanford, ME, USA
Member #

if anyone's interested I'm doing a coastal daytrip at the end of the month on the 30th starting at the Quoddy head lighthouse in Lubec at 8am then traveling along the coast stopping at several historical sites and ending the trip with dinner at Primos restaurant located at 2 Main St, Rockland..
Hey that’s about 5 hours from me (Quoddy lighthouse). Not sure I could make that trip....

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
This is awesome, thanks for sharing. It's cool to see this through your lens, makes me realize just how history and beautiful our state is. I love that you spent so much time showing the views of and from Ft Knox, I saw my mom's place :D

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Waking up a sleeping thread, just joined up last week. I'm In Albany TWP, just east of Lovell\Fryeburg and south of Bethel. This "famous" sign is about 100yds from the end of my driveway.

View attachment 87477
I actually looked that up again when I got back from being away. I might run up there sometime soon to get a pic or two and would be happy to go grab coffee or something somewhere if you're interested.

Jonny G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gorham, ME, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gertig
Member #

Hey there you all! My wife and I, and our family moved up to Maine from South Carolina back in April of 2019. Looking to get back into being adventurous come summer time. Have two kids, one is nearly 2 years old and the other is just a month old. Also a couple of dogs that would probably travel with us. Any recommendations on places to check out, or resources that are available that I could look into would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any get togethers for Overlanding in Maine and NH, we would definitely be interested. Thanks!