Magellan TRX7 question

• HTML tutorial

LandTracker82

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
Member #

Hello, I was wondering if the Magellan TRX7 also has road maps loaded into it or is it just for offroad use?

Thanks,

Edward

egpowers

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thornton, Co
Member #

I just bought the TR5 version, a few less bells and whistles, for a few hundred less. The street level GPS is pretty basic, have not tried it out on a trail yet. Was supposed to run a trail today with some guys, but adulthood set in on yesterday so today was ruined as well

Reactions: Raul B

Highway

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

DFW, Texas
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Just purchased the TRX7 CS Trail and Street Navigator a couple of weeks ago. It does both street and trails as the name implies. Returning it tomorrow. The initial map update failed and then locked up the GPS app. The device is actually a tablet computer that runs TRX7 software as well as other Android apps. I had to uninstall/reinstall and then re-accomplish the map update. I did the software update first the first time but not the second. It has failed twice while navigating. The TRX7 app just stopped in the middle of using it. I had to restart which resulted in it losing the destination info I had input. The turn-by-turn directions on highway use were incomplete. It showed the last turn I would make to get off the highway where I would be almost 200 miles from where I was...didn't show any intermediate turns. The visual display is pretty nice but interstates and secondary roads look the same. I've had multiple Garmin systems and frequently use Google maps. This was the most problems I've had with any navigation system and it cost me the most at $550. Now searching the forums looking for better alternatives! It may work great for trails but I never got that far.

aghadjip

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton NC
Member #

i was an early adopter, have not been impressed, support was great, but i needed it quite often. Last straw was the device stopped charging. They wanted it back to look at it, but i gave up at that point. TRX7....

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I was given the impression mine was the only one with these issues. What was my last straw was when it would randomly lock up while using it (It was not mounted in direct sunlight). The tablet spec's could barely support the mapping system. Compared to my Samsung tablet with BCN or my apple with Gaia, the graphics were poor. All I wanted was an offroad GPS that I didn't have to download maps into before my trip. After a while I figured out that I payed a ton of money for something that was still being developed. Odd how a major GPS company has to figure out how to make a GPS.

Scott

Reactions: aghadjip

aghadjip

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton NC
Member #

A
I was given the impression mine was the only one with these issues. What was my last straw was when it would randomly lock up while using it (It was not mounted in direct sunlight). The tablet spec's could barely support the mapping system. Compared to my Samsung tablet with BCN or my apple with Gaia, the graphics were poor. All I wanted was an offroad GPS that I didn't have to download maps into before my trip. After a while I figured out that I payed a ton of money for something that was still being developed. Odd how a major GPS company has to figure out how to make a GPS.

Scott
I was very brief in my description of issues. The cost of the table (because really that is all you are paying for since the app is free) is no where near in line with whats on the market. The fact that it is 4 versions behind and a crippled (non existent) play store means side loading other apps. I wanted this to be my music player, offroad gps and waze onroad gps. It failed at all of these. I moved to an active 2 which does everything i want it to. Save your money, if you like the trx app, use it with your own tablet.

Contributor I

I just picked up a TRX7, and I'm still on the fence. I actually ran my garmin side by side with it, and there was never a point that the garmin didn't show me on road (when we were offroad).

I thought, "hey as soon as we get off the pavement the garmin will be useless, and the TRX7 will really shine!"

But it didn't. No failures, but it didn't impress me either.

Reactions: Walter2019

browndirtcowboy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Manteca, California
Member #

I saved the money and got the tr7. Which magellan answered my question on what was the difference, they said the case. Ok so a case that is more rugged is costing over a hundred plus bucks more?
I started using ot on the street and paid for the satellite software for another 30 bucks, Waste of money. The TR7 does not hold a charge and furthermore doesnt have any user trails as it claimed on anywhere I searched. I returned it to amazon. Great idea but horrible product. I agree get a good tablet with gps and download some software you like.