Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I was going to do this trip while on my way up to Eureka to see my daughter for Father\\\'s Day. Just saw you had it planned and thought I\\\'d jump in on it. Just me and my dog, nobody else in the vehicle. Should be fun!
I\\\'ll be arriving on Friday from Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz mountains. Maybe meet up with some of you around the 580/680 interchange?
Sure MTN RNR,

So far I think you, Fidel (from San jose) and I (San Ramon) are from Bay area. If 580/680 is not the main route for everyone, we can meet and start.
I was talking with Mark, as he goes up to this area often for work, and I was thinking given the holiday weekend we should probably have two separate caravans. A Bay Area group meeting at the 580 and 680 interchange, and the Central Valley group meeting at Jack Tone and 99. The Bay Area caravan would go 580 to 101N to 20W, whereas the Central Valley group would travel 5N to 20W.

What’s nice about 20W is that it gets us to 1N just south of Fort Bragg and driving Hwy 1 north through this section is amazing. The views are tremendous with cute little towns like Westport. The Usal Rd turn off is about 3.5 miles north of Rockport CA.

Reactions: MTN RNR

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
I was talking with Mark, as he goes up to this area often for work, and I was thinking given the holiday weekend we should probably have two separate caravans. A Bay Area group meeting at the 580 and 680 interchange, and the Central Valley group meeting at Jack Tone and 99. The Bay Area caravan would go 580 to 101N to 20W, whereas the Central Valley group would travel 5N to 20W.

What’s nice about 20W is that it gets us to 1N just south of Fort Bragg and driving Hwy 1 north through this section is amazing. The views are tremendous with cute little towns like Westport. The Usal Rd turn off is about 3.5 miles north of Rockport CA.
That’s perfect. I was thinking of going that way. Sounds like an awesome drive.

Reactions: PapaDave

NoOne

Rank I

Enthusiast I

If my schedule allows, I would like to join in on this trip. I've wanted to do the Lost Coast for some time. I went ahead and RSVP'd, but will cancel if my wife says that I'm not going, Father's Day Weekend and all.

Reactions: PapaDave

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

I’m new here, just joined, but I did trip Down to Usal and took the trails all the way to Honeydew. I’ll attach some pictures.

Attachments

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
I’m new here, just joined, but I did trip Down to Usal and took the trails all the way to Honeydew. I’ll attach some pictures.
Yeah great photos. Since my destination Sunday is to see my daughter in Eureka, I thought I would continue on to Honeydew, Petrolia, and into Ferndale before hitting the 101 into Eureka. Those photos make it even more appealing!

Reactions: m1jacobs

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

Yeah great photos. Since my destination Sunday is to see my daughter in Eureka, I thought I would continue on to Honeydew, Petrolia, and into Ferndale before hitting the 101 into Eureka. Those photos make it even more appealing!
I am still trying to get my schedule right before I commit to this trip, but be careful with that drive. If you want to go Usal all the way to Ferndale it will likely take the majority of the day just to get back to 101 on that route. Does your daughter go to HSU? That’s why I’m up here.

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
I am still trying to get my schedule right before I commit to this trip, but be careful with that drive. If you want to go Usal all the way to Ferndale it will likely take the majority of the day just to get back to 101 on that route. Does your daughter go to HSU? That’s why I’m up here.
She graduated from HSU 6 or 7 years ago with a degree in kinesiology. She is a massage therapist and works at Target. My wife is an alumnus and I attended for 4 years before transferring to UCLA.

Reactions: m1jacobs

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
In one week we will be camping! I am planning on meeting at 12:30pm Friday June 14th to roll out by 1pm sharp for those in the greater Modesto/Stockton area. If you’d like to caravan with me we will be meeting at the Denny’s off Jack Tone RD and 99. Pretty easy to find. An early start will be good with it being Father’s Day weekend. Please let me know if you will be driving with me.

As far as the Bay Area caravan rendezvous spot I’ll let you guys determine that.

For the valley folk it’s a 6 plus hour drive, but when you get to Highway 1 off Hwy 20 the drive is pretty fun with the views. Once you hit Rockport Ca the left for Usal Beach Campground is 3.2 miles. 39.7803 -123.8315

Usal Beach is just about 6 miles in, I wouldn’t worry about airing down for this portion.

@Mark E will be arriving early and do his best to hold some spots for us. Where we can we will double up camp sites and fit in if necessary.

This is going to be a fun trip!

7C79F7BD-F615-4478-A0A1-5832D30D223B.jpeg

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
In one week we will be camping! I am planning on meeting at 12:30pm Friday June 14th to roll out by 1pm sharp for those in the greater Modesto/Stockton area. If you’d like to caravan with me we will be meeting at the Denny’s off Jack Tone RD and 99. Pretty easy to find. An early start will be good with it being Father’s Day weekend. Please let me know if you will be driving with me.

As far as the Bay Area caravan rendezvous spot I’ll let you guys determine that.

For the valley folk it’s a 6 plus hour drive, but when you get to Highway 1 off Hwy 20 the drive is pretty fun with the views. Once you hit Rockport Ca the left for Usal Beach Campground is 3.2 miles. 39.7803 -123.8315

Usal Beach is just about 6 miles in, I wouldn’t worry about airing down for this portion.

@Mark E will be arriving early and do his best to hold some spots for us. Where we can we will double up camp sites and fit in if necessary.

This is going to be a fun trip!

View attachment 102164
I am so excited! I can’t wait to get out there! I’ll be leaving a bit earlier to meet with my uncle, so we’ll be able to save a couple more spots for us all.

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
I was able to clear up my schedule and will join the trip! My girls Lucie and Violet (13 and 10) will be joining for sure and my wife may make the trip as well. Dave, I'll meet you at Denny's at 12:30 ready to roll. Eager to see this part of the state, I've never been there.

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
My plans changed. I'm still on the trip, but I'm leaving tomorrow and heading up to Gold Bluffs Beach in Elk Prairie Redwoods SP to camp with some friends who got a spot. I'll leave there on Friday morning and head down to Usal Beach. Should be about a 4 hour drive, I should be in by mid-afternoon at the latest. I'll try and save some spots.

Reactions: RAWags and PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I was able to clear up my schedule and will join the trip! My girls Lucie and Violet (13 and 10) will be joining for sure and my wife may make the trip as well. Dave, I'll meet you at Denny's at 12:30 ready to roll. Eager to see this part of the state, I've never been there.
Awesome you guys are going to make it!

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

I think I’m going to be meeting some friends there on Thursday. Camp there Thursday and head back to Arcata Friday night. Saturday is the Arcata Oyster Festival and you can bet I won’t miss that. If my spot is open I’ll keep that area reserved, that specific area could fit at least 3 groups. but for the most part you can camp anywhere in the giant area where Usal Creek meets the ocean. I’d like to stay at the campground long enough to meet as many of you guys as I could, but my girlfriend works on Saturday. If anyone is down to do the track from Ferndale to Usal on Thursday that is what I’ll be doing!

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
I
I think I’m going to be meeting some friends there on Thursday. Camp there Thursday and head back to Arcata Friday night. Saturday is the Arcata Oyster Festival and you can bet I won’t miss that. If my spot is open I’ll keep that area reserved, that specific area could fit at least 3 groups. but for the most part you can camp anywhere in the giant area where Usal Creek meets the ocean. I’d like to stay at the campground long enough to meet as many of you guys as I could, but my girlfriend works on Saturday. If anyone is down to do the track from Ferndale to Usal on Thursday that is what I’ll be doing!
I'll be up at Gold Bluffs Beach on Thursday (where Fern Canyon is) but I'll be heading down on Friday. I'll try to get an early start and maybe we can do a campsite handoff. Thanks!