Contributor I

Brooklyn, NY, USA
First Name
Lorenzo
Last Name
Cerva
Member #

Hi everyone,
New to the forum. I want to find some trails near NYC to test my rig out. Currently I only have some all terrain tires added. That plus the fact that I am a complete newb means I’m looking for some rookie trails to start. However, I wouldn’t mind you mentioning trails of any difficulty just to know what I’m working with. I plan to add rock rails and a steel rear bumper soon. So, I will be ready to take on tougher trails soon as I get a good feel for this. I’m excited to get started. I appreciate any advice and suggestions. Please, don’t be shy to comment.
And please share your recorded trails and maps on Gaia.
Thanks
Lorenzo

Last edited:

LCerva

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Brooklyn, NY, USA
First Name
Lorenzo
Last Name
Cerva
Member #

So, I started compiling a list through forum searches here and elsewhere for members that are near NYC. I would still like to find even closer trails. Feel free to add or comment on these trails. I will be editing as I gather more info. This is just a plain list of trails and the state they are located in. If you have info on the difficulty, distance from NYC, or access points it would be much appreciated! So far this is what I have...

Moose river plains - Adirondacks
Lincoln Pass - Vermont
White mountains - New Hampshire
Burnt Ross man hills state forest - New York
Mallet pons state forest- New York
Rausch creek off road park - PA
Anthracite outdoor adventure area - PA
Trans New Jersey trail
Stokes state forest - New Jersey
Brendan T Byrne state forest - New Jersey
Pine barrens trail - New Jersey
Delaware water gap Recreation area - New Jersey
Frederick watershed - Maryland
Freetown-fall river state park - Massachusetts
Hooker mountain state forest - New York
Burnt meadow - Ringwood, New Jersey
Famous reading outdoors - PA
Stag Hill - Mahwah, NJ

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamster

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

The Trans New Jersey trail is probably the closest to the city. Depending on the vehicle you have there are meet ups that go to Rausch Creek and AOAA and you could gain some experience doing that.

Reactions: LCerva

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
If you head out to the high point state forest area and the Delaware River recreation area, there’s miles of dirt roads some some small obstacles and some washed out sections. They do close for the winter so if you’d like to explore there, I’d suggest doing it fairly soon

The main attraction for me atleast is buttermilk falls. The coordinates are. 41.13702, -74.88902

Reactions: LCerva

LCerva

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Brooklyn, NY, USA
First Name
Lorenzo
Last Name
Cerva
Member #

If you head out to the high point state forest area and the Delaware River recreation area, there’s miles of dirt roads some some small obstacles and some washed out sections. They do close for the winter so if you’d like to explore there, I’d suggest doing it fairly soon

The main attraction for me atleast is buttermilk falls. The coordinates are. 41.13702, -74.88902
Can you shed some light on this? What is the access point for truck trails? Is this only in high point state forest? Anything you can tell us would help.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Can you shed some light on this? What is the access point for truck trails? Is this only in high point state forest? Anything you can tell us would help.
There’s not much to really shed light on. Most of the “trails” you’ll find in this area are dirt roads. That’s all they really are. There is a couple washed out sections here and there. But you can drive around for a full day and just explore. There are some nice sights to see in the area. I’ll put a link below with a route Iv taken in the past. I don’t have any pictures of the roads. But they’re dirt roads with some small rocks. The first time I was there I was with a group of Subaru’s. So that should give you some insight into how difficult the roads are. But like I said, they do close some of the roads in winter. Not sure when they close though

Reactions: JCae2798

LCerva

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Brooklyn, NY, USA
First Name
Lorenzo
Last Name
Cerva
Member #

There’s not much to really shed light on. Most of the “trails” you’ll find in this area are dirt roads. That’s all they really are. There is a couple washed out sections here and there. But you can drive around for a full day and just explore. There are some nice sights to see in the area. I’ll put a link below with a route Iv taken in the past. I don’t have any pictures of the roads. But they’re dirt roads with some small rocks. The first time I was there I was with a group of Subaru’s. So that should give you some insight into how difficult the roads are. But like I said, they do close some of the roads in winter. Not sure when they close though

Thanks. The info and the map really help. It will be a great first trip for me with my rig. Gotta start somewhere.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Thanks. The info and the map really help. It will be a great first trip for me with my rig. Gotta start somewhere.
Absolutely. It’s s great place for any rig. It’s fun to do the harder stuff but sometimes you just need a chance to relax and Enjoy some scenery.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thanks to covid19 my wife and I got to check out Mt. Beacon, Stag Hill and the area around Buttermilk Falls.

*Even though the trails are marked as roads on google maps, I found out afterwards it is illegal to drive here*

We had QUITE an adventure in Stag Hill and I don’t think either one of us is in a rush to go back lol. It is very rocky and skid plates are a MUST. We saw 2 flipped rigs on the trail. it seems like a great spot for atvs (which we saw a few). Overall we both feel like we survived lol but we actually had a good time and the only real damage was a bent tie rod from a giant rock at the bottom of a GIANT water puddle (...lake? Lol) The water went over the hood (we were not prepared for that) and we will remember now to always check before diving in . We took a picture which ended up being our halfway point, we had to turn back at the T intersection between the 2 hills. Up to this point was a pretty leisurely ride

78A63792-CFEA-45CC-BE7E-66CE06691736.jpeg

Mt. Beacon was a good ride, although we left feeling like we only scratched the surface. We later found out that we were right and the view at the top is definitely worth going back. Definitely be aware of the houses and driveways along the trail. We were invited by a friend who lives over there.

92120961-1852-4A16-890D-B2534E79B8C4.jpeg3FFE4027-1FCD-44E8-9C71-E35789EDA785.jpeg

I think our favourite location so far has been Buttermilk falls. We were looking for trails around Stokes (we were unsuccessful) but google maps told us to take this series of bumpy dirt roads which turned out to be a really nice little network of trails. The road to Buttermilk falls was crossed We really liked a southbound trail which was closed after a bit into the trail. We would like to know if those “roads” ever open and would definitely go back again.
C39F0205-1DF6-4953-ADF0-CB39B44B7358.jpegCBE62F0E-9637-49BC-BFEE-332F8F1E5152.jpeg

We would be interested in going out with other OB members to find other spots in the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamster

Lugnut

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

NJ/VT
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Seidel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB2FCC
Were they closed to vehicles due to CV19 protocols you think, or just generally not open to trucks during "normal" times? Looks like fun!

Reactions: Dusther210

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Were they closed to vehicles due to CV19 protocols you think, or just generally not open to trucks during "normal" times? Looks like fun!
theyre usually closes for the winter but they usually open up in April

Reactions: Lugnut

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I am hoping to do leg 1 of TNJT one of these Saturdays before the end of May and I’ll try to get an update on these trails. It looks like one of them is part of the TNJT
a couple of them are. There’s a paved section that has a gate which hopefully is not closed. There’s also some dirt sections that don’t have gates I don’t think

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I’m wondering if there is any interest in creating a place on here (either a thread or chat) for all the NJ area members.

I’m looking to check out Wharton for the first time either this Saturday or next and I might be open to the idea of meeting up and doing some exploring together if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Lugnut

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
update: Just went to buttermilk falls today, the gates that we’re blocking the 2 routes before are still there :/
Did you get there? Want to go soon?
I might be able to find some time in the few weeks to go check it out. There’s a few roads over there google maps says I should go check out