Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

OK, I know that everyone just digs a hole and does what the bears do. However, I travel with my wife and this is not an option for various reasons that are not important right now.
My current set-up is a "Luggable-Loo". I use the Campco bags with the jell powder, but no matter what I try, there is still a foul smell that makes it so I have to haul the thing on the roof rack. I also have a privacy pop-up tent that turns it into a make-shift out house.
The tent works great, the toilet not so much. I have seen other threads talking about this subject, but hey all seem to revolve around different "thrones" but they all seem to use a bag of some sort.
Anyone tried anything else that does not use a bag and could be stored inside the rig? Some kind of Potta-Potty/Cassette toilet?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here are some more threads on camp toilets:

Recent, 1 page:

2016-2018, 4 pages:

2018, 2 pages:

Over the years I've used about everything, from self-dug cat holes to buckets to luggable loos, gel pack bag affairs, etc.

The most effective at keeping something in the rig and eliminating/reducing offensive odors has been to use peat moss (or coconut coir) in a bucket or more expensive commercial unit and keeping liquids and solids separate.

Seriously, it's the best and simplest and most trouble free, and no gel packs or powder or disgusting odors or offensive bags of waste.

The threads explain it.

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Since it's only me, I picked up an easy sealing ammo storage container to put the plastic bag with coconut litter. Hope my accuracy is good or I may end up duct tapping the bag to my ass! I'm also not sure how long my unused coconut husk stash will last. I broke up a couple of dried blocks, maybe 3-4 gallons volume. Soaked one piece in the bag with some water to fluff it up some. I hear pine needles, leaves, sawdust will work to some degree.

Reactions: Road

Jay McClellan

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Saranac, MI, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
McClellan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8DC
In our Jeep we carried a Porta-Potti 335 and were happy with it. It's quite small so it's easy to pack, but it sits low to the ground so that's a tradeoff (the 365 sits higher but takes up more space). No smell at all with it closed up, and easy and clean to dump it in an appropriate location. The two of us mostly used it for #2 anytime and for #1 just at night, and could go several days before dumping. The model 135 is similar and less expensive, but doesn't come with a mounting bracket (for a boat etc.) and it has a lower-end bellows water pump instead of a piston.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We use a cassette toilet. Now, basic rule is no poo directly in it or you dump it! Man, they are nasty to dump with poo in there..

Pee is fine and mostly wifey's toilet. Poo we wag bag. So far those plastic grocery bags with a couple cups of cat litter does the trick. If we're backcountry for days, I'll dig a hole.

I like this system so far and it has a feel & flush which it much feel much like home. I'm happy she likes it! Life is good!

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I usually had a Home Depot bucket and some husky bags in the truck for miscellaneous uses. One night I had an emergency and had to improvise quick. I wasn’t in a position to cat hole…
I rapidly emptied out that Home Depot bucket, threw a husky bag in there…
I have a screw on lid for it. This combo has been a life saver. Was quite cheap and no one would guess what I use it for lol.
Also, if I wanted to I could still put things in the bucket (those bags are one time use items).
It was surprisingly comfortable and they sell toilet seat lids for them.
I keep a gallon ziploc of cleanup gel powder, roll of mountain money and the husky bags in the bucket always ready to go

Reactions: FishinCrzy

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

We use a Cleanwaste Toilet, folds up compact and very sturdy.
Yeah my wife loves this thing and it was enough to get her camping out in the undeveloped areas. Thing fits just about anywhere when folded up and it's sturdy enough for my fat ass.

The CW bags are great as well and we've never had an issue with smell. I carry a little extra of their powder and we typically just use one bag per night, topping off powder as needed.

Reactions: DMS1

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
We keep it simple, yet it's very effective. 5.2 gallon BOS Amazing Odor Sealing Disposable Bags inside a Harbor Freight 5 gallon bucket with a snap on toilet seat lid. Put a layer of odor absorbing cat litter in the bottom and a layer on top after each use. Works so well we can even keep it in the tent at night without any smell so we don't have to go outside at 0-dark-30. When not camping, we use this same setup in the shed next to the pool so we can use the bathroom without needing to go into the house soaking wet.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I've had this Dometic cassette toilet for quite a few years that I purchased from a Boat supply company called West Marine. My wife and I orignally bought it for our boat when we would go on all day/night Sturgeon trips. We would always dig holes and at first I never brought it because I liked to keep my gear light and figured a shovel was already doing the trick, but two years ago, we decided to bring it once our young son started going into the woods with us. Man, I cannot recommend this thing more to anyone who wants to go out into the outdoors and have a comfortable place to drop a dook.

I doesn't take up much room, has plenty of capacity for about 3 days before you need to find a vault or toilet to empty it, and the de-odorant you put in the black water tank is very cheap and effective for keeping the smells down. At first I thought it would be a nightmare dumping one of these into a vault or in a toilet, but I've developed such a good technique for dumping it out that to me, it is way more easy to dump this thing once or twice per trip, than to constantly be digging holes everywhere, especially when my wife used to wake me up in the middle of the night to go with her into the woods. I usually bring our small utility tent we use for taking showers in and put it in there once we setup camp. There were a few occassions where we were in such a remote area, I just set the thing up on the side of my truck. I actually enjoyed taking an open air dump while rwatching a beautiful sunset. Sounds like I'm making a joke, but that's the best way I can describe it.

With all of the new people coming out to overland, I really want to make it a trend for people to make one of these part of their loadout. It will really keep things clean, and hopefully lower the amount of times I've come across human feces that hasn't been properly buried. Below is the link to the one I have. I really like it, and it's pretty sturdy too. My sister accidentally ran mine over while we were setting up camp and I had it on the ground with her JKU, and it took the bump, rolled a couple times and still works perfectly. I left a link below to the one I have.

I don't think 120 bucks is too much to spend for the kind of convenience and sanitation this thing provides. It's been especially handy for my son as well. He is very young, and I couldn't imagine having him use some of the vault toilets I've seen. I can see if anyone is rolling around in an SUV and you may not want to have it inside the cabin with you, but anyone with a pickup truck should have one. It's an awesome investment.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I've had this Dometic cassette toilet for quite a few years that I purchased from a Boat supply company called West Marine. My wife and I orignally bought it for our boat when we would go on all day/night Sturgeon trips. We would always dig holes and at first I never brought it because I liked to keep my gear light and figured a shovel was already doing the trick, but two years ago, we decided to bring it once our young son started going into the woods with us. Man, I cannot recommend this thing more to anyone who wants to go out into the outdoors and have a comfortable place to drop a dook.

I doesn't take up much room, has plenty of capacity for about 3 days before you need to find a vault or toilet to empty it, and the de-odorant you put in the black water tank is very cheap and effective for keeping the smells down. At first I thought it would be a nightmare dumping one of these into a vault or in a toilet, but I've developed such a good technique for dumping it out that to me, it is way more easy to dump this thing once or twice per trip, than to constantly be digging holes everywhere, especially when my wife used to wake me up in the middle of the night to go with her into the woods. I usually bring our small utility tent we use for taking showers in and put it in there once we setup camp. There were a few occassions where we were in such a remote area, I just set the thing up on the side of my truck. I actually enjoyed taking an open air dump while rwatching a beautiful sunset. Sounds like I'm making a joke, but that's the best way I can describe it.

With all of the new people coming out to overland, I really want to make it a trend for people to make one of these part of their loadout. It will really keep things clean, and hopefully lower the amount of times I've come across human feces that hasn't been properly buried. Below is the link to the one I have. I really like it, and it's pretty sturdy too. My sister accidentally ran mine over while we were setting up camp and I had it on the ground with her JKU, and it took the bump, rolled a couple times and still works perfectly. I left a link below to the one I have.

I don't think 120 bucks is too much to spend for the kind of convenience and sanitation this thing provides. It's been especially handy for my son as well. He is very young, and I couldn't imagine having him use some of the vault toilets I've seen. I can see if anyone is rolling around in an SUV and you may not want to have it inside the cabin with you, but anyone with a pickup truck should have one. It's an awesome investment.
That's the one we have too. I was quite surprised by how easy it is to use and that it's odour free. It and a privacy tent are a good combination.