Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I have been to some amazing places in my 1980 Toyota pickup. It’s a great little truck! It’s like a mountain goat on the trails, but it’s not the best highway ride. So I also recently got a 1985 Toyota 4Runner, which when done will be just as good on the trails as the truck, but better on the highway to the trails. This weekend will be my first camping trip in the 4Runner, and I’ll get more pictures.D4E78FDA-36DC-4FCA-9C8B-FC1311925638.jpeg19540E55-1A64-4186-833D-D9831F321C0B.jpeg

Selectivelynoncompliant

Rank III

Enthusiast III

KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harrod
Member #

Love those old yoters!

I imagine it would be difficult to find toppers for these old rigs.
On my 85 I made a custom metal framed bed cover and used a rtt. I made it on hinges so I could still utilize the bed for storage.

View attachment 178165
View attachment 178166
View attachment 178167
That’s pretty cool. I was looking at the Softtopper as it has been hard to find anything for this ol girl. I have even thought a rack for an RTT. I will probab bedline the entire truck , put on a Softopper and some lockers. There is not much room so a topper is a must. This thing is a blast to drive. No AC, no PS, and NO CUP HOLDERS just a basic trucK.

Selectivelynoncompliant

Rank III

Enthusiast III

KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harrod
Member #

I have been to some amazing places in my 1980 Toyota pickup. It’s a great little truck! It’s like a mountain goat on the trails, but it’s not the best highway ride. So I also recently got a 1985 Toyota 4Runner, which when done will be just as good on the trails as the truck, but better on the highway to the trails. This weekend will be my first camping trip in the 4Runner, and I’ll get more pictures.View attachment 178163View attachment 178168
Dude, that is a fantastic picture. Though it reminds me of the oilfield fires from the first gulf war. Both rigs look great.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

My truck had no cup holders either, (or power steering, or working AC) but I made some myself. A piece of pallet board, a small piece of thin plywood, and a piece of toolbox drawer liner, and it fits perfectly in the notch in the seat.571B1C77-0640-4132-A9AF-F446BA496F07.jpeg

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Selectivelynoncompliant

Rank III

Enthusiast III

KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harrod
Member #

I have a guy that I work with that has a 3D printer and we have discussed making some. We are not that close so I may be on my own. How does it attach?

Selectivelynoncompliant

Rank III

Enthusiast III

KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harrod
Member #

My answer was a Daihatsu Rocky when I lived around Vegas. That thing was a little goat on the sandstone & great on fuel. Also, a very near an anti-electronic rig & that's a plus in my world.
Google Image Result for https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-images/840x560/542000/0/542033.jpg
I always wanted a Chevy Luv when I was growing up....It was not to be,, probably why I like this truck so. It was originally bought to keep the miles off my Raptor but I look forward to driving it everyday. Yesterday Replaced the heater core, clutch master cylinder and heater control valve. It had set for a while and both the cooling and fuel systems had to be flushed. I also replaced the fuel tank.

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

That’s pretty cool. I was looking at the Softtopper as it has been hard to find anything for this ol girl. I have even thought a rack for an RTT. I will probab bedline the entire truck , put on a Softopper and some lockers. There is not much room so a topper is a must. This thing is a blast to drive. No AC, no PS, and NO CUP HOLDERS just a basic trucK.
Cup holders, or lack there of, hit a nerve for me. LOL
I ended up putting a Wagan cooler between my seats that has cup holders. Ditched the useless center console/heater cover

1606423163549.png

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I have a guy that I work with that has a 3D printer and we have discussed making some. We are not that close so I may be on my own. How does it attach?
The plywood bottom is a it longer than the upright pieces, and it just slides under the seat. The toolbox drawer liner is non slip, and it’s a pretty tight fit under the seat, so it’s pretty stable.

carguyinok

Rank 0

Contributor I

N.E Oklahoma
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Shlosser
That’s a cool looking little beast
Funny, just caught your reply about the Chevy Love. Those where my go to back in the 80's-90's. I nearly pulled the trigger on a a clean yellow first gen 4x4 that a guy had for sale locally about 6 months ago.
The Rocky on the other hand. Well, picked up a 92 about a year ago. Just as I was getting around to start building it up a bit the timing belt slipped & I've yet to dig into her.
I've gotta admit that the Raptor was high on the list for me. But now I'm feeling like a kid at Christmas with the new Bronco around the corner!
LMAO, just saw you had Datsun listed... 240Z's are my weakness! Proud owner of a truly rust free 72 & another that's clean aside from mid way into replacing the front frame rails.