Looking for Helpful Information

• HTML tutorial

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

I am a newbie, meaning I have not worked on my trucks (GMC 1976 4x4 and Toyota 4x4) except to change my own oil, fluids and clean my battery cables. Then I owned a van for over 10 years....I couldnt even squeeze my hand into the hood.

Now I own a Jeep and want to learn LITERALLY EVERYTHING I can....

So my first question is:

It came with a jack (neatly packaged up) in the compartment in the floor of the back...is that going to work or do I need those really long ones Ive seen. She doesnt have stock tires, but I dont think they are giants either...its labeled in a system I dont know. Im imagining they might be about 32"?

Trying to access what the most important needs are, and making my list.

Anything else you think is a MUST HAVE for overlanding? (I wont be bouldering until I have a lot more experience) :)

2017 Rubicon Ricon

Reactions: Jimmy P

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
You must first determine what you will use it for and where you will go. From there plan the vehicle.
When I owned my shop many people built without a plan and bought many things they didn't end up using. This was money down the drain. With a plan you will be able to figure out what you need, priority if needs, and "would be nice to have(s)."

Sent from my LGLS991 using OB Talk mobile app

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

First of all, WELCOME TO THE PARTY!!!! :tonguewink:

Regarding learning. 1) Check out the Boot camp sub forum . There are some great OB Approved articles there for you to read through at your leisure. 2) Nothing makes up for experience. The best way to get that experience is hitting the trail with other more experienced members. There are a ton of meetups and trail runs going on in your area, and lots of knowledgeable members who are attending them. And tons of Jeeps on top of all that. Get out to the meet n greets and trail runs and see what other folks are doing with their rigs. Also, hitting the trail will give you a good idea what you need to get. A lot of money is spent on stuff we simply don't need. Then we just have stuff to get rid of. Which is such a waste of time and our money. So I would encourage you to get out and use your jeep, cause that is the best way to find out what you need and what you can live without.
As for learning to do all the maintenance, again, hang with other members when you can and ask loads of questions. If you need help, post up in the forum (like you did here) and you will get a lot of great info.

Regarding the jack you speak of. I think you are referring to the Hi-Lift or FarmJack. Is it necessary? Weeeeeelllllll.... Maybe, maybe not. That is up to you to decide. I would say, don't worry about getting one just yet. There are a couple threads going about this very topic. Here is a recent convo - https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/hilift-jack-is-it-really-needed.8453/
There are a lot of options for jacks. Personally, I like bottle jacks, they take up less space and can be deployed in much the same way with less opportunity to injure myself. But its personally opinion. Check out the Overland Gear sub forum for more discussions about items folks are using.

And if you have any specific questions, just holler!

Handsome Devil

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pismo Beach California
Member #

First question, That really long jack you mentioned is a Hi-Lift jack. they can be useful in all sorts of sticky situations (used as a come-along, to raise one tire and throw a rock into the hole it was stuck in). It's extremely helpful but certainly not necessary.

As far as tires are concerned they're probably labeled in metric form, i.e. P265 X 75 R16 or LT285 X 70 R18 or something to that effect.

This is measured as such: the first series of numbers (3-digit) is the width measured in millimeters. The "X" is "by" and then the second number is a percentage of the width used in height.

So, on a 265 X 75, the 265 is 265mm wide. This is the portion that grabs the pavement. the 75 is 75% of the width used in height (where the outer lip of the rim towards the tread. The last number, the "R" number is the rim size. in the case of 265 X 75 R16, you would have a 16" wheel that the tires are mounted on.

If you know your metric size you can put it in a google search bar followed by "in standard conversion" and it will give you a size that reads like the typical 35 X 12.50 R15 if you wish.

As far as a must have for overlanding, I would say at least one other person, a cooler, and quality tires. Ones that aren't dry rotted between the tread blocks (at least all-terrains too).

Later on, as your skill increases, I would say lockers (which you have if you drive a Rubicon), winch, rock sliders, and a lift only big enough to support your tires.

Reactions: Roxxie

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Hello and welcome to OB. Looking at your signature you have a new Rubicon Recon, so the jack supplied should work unless it has an aftermarket lift kit added. Research other Jeep JK builds here, and get an idea of what type of trails and how often you will take it offroad. Lots of aftermarket support for the JK, so make sure you have a plan or you may waste some money. Check the member map as well and see if you can find some local OB members to meet up with and do initial trail rides with.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

First question, That really long jack you mentioned is a Hi-Lift jack. they can be useful in all sorts of sticky situations (used as a come-along, to raise one tire and throw a rock into the hole it was stuck in). It's extremely helpful but certainly not necessary.

As far as tires are concerned they're probably labeled in metric form, i.e. P265 X 75 R16 or LT285 X 70 R18 or something to that effect.

This is measured as such: the first series of numbers (3-digit) is the width measured in millimeters. The "X" is "by" and then the second number is a percentage of the width used in height.

So, on a 265 X 75, the 265 is 265mm wide. This is the portion that grabs the pavement. the 75 is 75% of the width used in height (where the outer lip of the rim towards the tread. The last number, the "R" number is the rim size. in the case of 265 X 75 R16, you would have a 16" wheel that the tires are mounted on.

If you know your metric size you can put it in a google search bar followed by "in standard conversion" and it will give you a size that reads like the typical 35 X 12.50 R15 if you wish.

As far as a must have for overlanding, I would say at least one other person, a cooler, and quality tires. Ones that aren't dry rotted between the tread blocks (at least all-terrains too).

Later on, as your skill increases, I would say lockers (which you have if you drive a Rubicon), winch, rock sliders, and a lift only big enough to support your tires.
Great info HD!
I found out that 255/75R17 tires have a diameter of 32.1", a section width of 10.0", and a wheel diameter of 17". The circumference is 100.7" and the revolutions per mile are 648. So that means I have 32's, right?
And they are BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A, so not exactly sure what that means. We certainly don't get mud out here. Funny they would put those on.
I know I have Dana 44's , Electronic front sway bar disconnect (?), HD Rock rails with step pad, Transfer case skid plate, fuel tank skid plate, hill descent control (?), 3.73 Front/Rear axel ratio (?) , electronic roll mitigation (?) and hill start assist (?)....and then some extra foofoo stuff that I like.... :)

Ill look up what rock sliders are, and I can't afford a winch yet, but its on my list. :) Good to know about the Hi-Lift...I assumed they would give me one that would fit the jeep NOW. DJBKM mentioned it should fit, so long as they didn't add an aftermarket lift kit- which I don't think they did.
Any other info you want to pass along Id sure appreciate!

Beth Ann

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Hello and welcome to OB. Looking at your signature you have a new Rubicon Recon, so the jack supplied should work unless it has an aftermarket lift kit added. Research other Jeep JK builds here, and get an idea of what type of trails and how often you will take it offroad. Lots of aftermarket support for the JK, so make sure you have a plan or you may waste some money. Check the member map as well and see if you can find some local OB members to meet up with and do initial trail rides with.
DJBKM- a 'build' is what people are doing to their jeeps to modify? or are they starting from the ground up and literally building it? Mine is all put together and I wouldn't have the finest idea as to how to do anything....but Ill check out the 'builds' and see what they got!
I haven't gone out yet, so I really don't know how good I am, or what I can/can't do...Ill try the map- good idea! Just read how to 'talk' to a bunch in your area at once! Im imagining Ill be in Joshua a lot and probably Big Bear/Arrowhead a lot too....just cause they are so close.
Lots of sand here, so Ill be researching how much to air out and that means Ill need a compresser...list is growing quickly... LOL
Thanks for the info! Keep it coming!

Beth Ann

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

First of all, WELCOME TO THE PARTY!!!! :tonguewink:

Regarding learning. 1) Check out the Boot camp sub forum . There are some great OB Approved articles there for you to read through at your leisure. 2) Nothing makes up for experience. The best way to get that experience is hitting the trail with other more experienced members. There are a ton of meetups and trail runs going on in your area, and lots of knowledgeable members who are attending them. And tons of Jeeps on top of all that. Get out to the meet n greets and trail runs and see what other folks are doing with their rigs. Also, hitting the trail will give you a good idea what you need to get. A lot of money is spent on stuff we simply don't need. Then we just have stuff to get rid of. Which is such a waste of time and our money. So I would encourage you to get out and use your jeep, cause that is the best way to find out what you need and what you can live without.
As for learning to do all the maintenance, again, hang with other members when you can and ask loads of questions. If you need help, post up in the forum (like you did here) and you will get a lot of great info.

Regarding the jack you speak of. I think you are referring to the Hi-Lift or FarmJack. Is it necessary? Weeeeeelllllll.... Maybe, maybe not. That is up to you to decide. I would say, don't worry about getting one just yet. There are a couple threads going about this very topic. Here is a recent convo - https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/hilift-jack-is-it-really-needed.8453/
There are a lot of options for jacks. Personally, I like bottle jacks, they take up less space and can be deployed in much the same way with less opportunity to injure myself. But its personally opinion. Check out the Overland Gear sub forum for more discussions about items folks are using.

And if you have any specific questions, just holler!
Thanks Cris!

I will definitely be giving you a holler! Ive got a ton of them! LOL

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

You must first determine what you will use it for and where you will go. From there plan the vehicle.
When I owned my shop many people built without a plan and bought many things they didn't end up using. This was money down the drain. With a plan you will be able to figure out what you need, priority if needs, and "would be nice to have(s)."

1BigJimmy- so sorry to hear your Jimmy is no more. :(
I had a 1976 GMC long box 4x4 that I loved. I cried when I had to sell her to get the van cause twins were on the way.....never forgot her.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
Thanks, I miss it a lot. I had swapped in 3/4 ton axles, bigger leaf springs, H2 Hummer wheels, converted from carbureted to fuel injection, added a/c, and put in the nicer Suburban interior. It was a nice rig.

I have a 79 K30 I sold to get it. I wish I had either one of them now. Loved them both. My Tacoma gets better mileage, though not by as much as I wished it did.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I have also had a couple jeeps, they are very capable. Your Rubicon is a much better starting point than what I had.
When I was talking earlier about planning your build I was meaning to take in to account how you are going to use it. I know I go out a lot just my service dog and I. So I need reliable. For Joshua Tree I always take more water than I need. I don't have a winch, but am sure to carry a couple tow straps so as someone else comes down the trail I can get help. I don't like crowded trails but when I'm by myself I stay on ones that have at least some traffic just in case... If I am in a group, we will head for more remote areas.
I didn't want to put a bunch on money in my truck till I knew what I needed but needed a good base. I bought a used 13 Tacoma Baja Series. With what it has I have done good. Your Rubicon is set up pretty well factory to get you started.
I plan on getting some sliders since with the length of my wheel base and where I have been going it's just a matter of time till I smack a rocker panel on something. I want that protection. I have been upgrading lighting as I occasionally go on night runs. I have also arrived at camp after dark but usually just get a lantern or two going and I am fine. My first buys were more to organize and I bought or modified a couple first aid kits.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
A Build are the modifications you add to the rig to make it more dependable and to suit your needs on the trail. Like Skid plates, sliders, tires, winch, bumpers, rack, RTT.......
Sliders are the bars along the sides of your vehicle under the doors. They are there to save the body from damage when you go over a rock or high spot in the trail (break-over angle).
Yes you have 32" tires. Mud Terrains are the tread pattern on the tire from BFG. I have the AT's and am quite happy with them. My son had the Mud Terrains here in SoCal and loved them. So drive those till you wear them out then chose a tire to match your use of the rig. And yes I have been in water and mud here in the desert.
Front sway bar disconnect is used in severe conditions when you lift tires off the ground, like 3 tires on and 1 off.. It lets the axel flex more to keep the one tire on the ground. Watch a rock crawler through its natural environment. Sway bars are installed on cars and trucks to stop body roll when cornering on pavement. On dirt not usually a good thing.
Hill decent means the auto transmission will slow your vehicle automatically during downhills better than the stock auto trannies.
Hill start assist is to stop the vehicle from rolling backwards when restarting on a hill.
Axel Ratios are just telling you how many times the driveshaft rotates vs the wheels. 3.73 : driveshaft rotates 3.73 rotations with the wheel rotating once. This is a good compromise between drivability and fuel consumption. Higher numbers are used for slow rock crawling, towing and needed for larger tires to keep the engine RPM in a good working spot. Higher ratios also lead to increase RPM in the motor while on the road = less gas mileage. So you change the ratio's to match your tires and use of the vehicle.

Main things you might want to think of first is a good recovery strap, first aid kit, and a CB at least to talk with others in the group you travel with.
Rubicons are pretty nicely set up from the factory. So go enjoy it and see what you might need. Talk to others and see some rigs. You can get ideas form every rig here on the site, all ideas will transfer from rig to rig.

Last edited:

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Well you all have great suggestions/ideas and comments! Terry- thank you for the explanantions- as that was perfect!
I did go out this weekend and FOR SURE need a CB. Sucked trying to hear on a little hand held I borrowed. Had volume all the way up and could barely hear anything!
Second- adding a 'sting' kit to my First Aid kit. Son got bit by something in his dads Jeep and it swelled something fierce. None of us had anything worth using! Lesson learned!
I learned how to put Roxie into 4L (and I have gears 1-4 on that one) and switch from 4L4 to 4L1, which was awesome cause it slowed me down and I didn't have to break! It made going over rocks easier. Although Im still having trouble shifting from 4L to 4H or 2H...its HARD to get her back into one of those positions! I feel like Im gonna break it!

I also tried out my sway bar disconnect, which was FUN! and locked just the rear up, and was just fine for one section of the road.
I certainly don't have the articulation that some of the boys did, but it was fun using them anyways!

I did get to see (don't know what they are called) the wires that attach to front hood, and go to windshield or top of Jeep, to help keep branches and limbs off or scratching too bad....like that. I did try reaching out and literally holding some branches as I went by so it wouldn't scratch but 1) they laughed at me and 2) it hurts cause some have pokies on them. It ended up scratching the back half anyways cause my arm is only so long.

I was amazed at how interested the boys were at looking under Roxxie......I was laughing as they all got down and started talking another language about C bars and all kinds of stuff that I mostly still don't know what it is. They were impressed, so it made me feel good. Evidently I have a lot of skid plates underneath too, which I did scratch up on one side but thats what it is there for, right?!

Overall, a VERY successful weekend and I didn't get stuck, I climbed everything and didn't put a dent into any metal/steel/plastic! :)

Cant wait to go out again!
PTown 9.jpg

PTown 8.jpg

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

As 1BigJimmy mentioned previously, figure out your style of Overlanding before you start sticking money in your rig. All of us were newbies at one point and had to figure out how to transition from pure off roading or pure camping to Overlanding or start from square one. For most of us a fully built rig isn't necessary while others get into areas that require specialized off road modifications. In our case we started out heading in the off road direction before discovering Overlanding and that has caused a few issues that we are now correcting. The point, when you see you need to modify, a lift for example, do your research to make sure it will work with your overall goal. Which takes me to another point. Are you think of a Roof Top Tent, roof rack, fridge, kitchen? That is all weight. Our problem is the lift we got back then wasn't designed to carry that kind of weight (we have all the items I mentioned). Getting an idea of what style of Overlanding, remote camping with ground or roof top tent, mostly paved roads vs mostly gravel roads vs mostly class VI trails, number of days between resupply, and how many people in the rig, all have an impact on weight and the types of modifications you require. The type of road or trail you will mostly travel has to do with what tires you will need. If you don't plan on getting into mud on a regular basis, don't buy mud tires. As for lifts, a lift kits is about making room for tires, not ground clearance. If you are going to stick with 32's then you don't need a lift. The bottom line is your vehicle is a system. Start simple with your Overland adventures to get an idea of your style of Overlanding and what would (in theory) work for you. This stage is about figuring what will be in and on your rig, how much weight you will carry and how much storage you need, and how you are going to use your rig. At that point start designing your rig. The more you look at it as a system, the better the outcome will be.

I mention what to put in and on your rig, and how you are going to use it, is the starting point. This is based on something called your "personal needs". Water, food, shelter, first aide, hygiene are your personal needs. How long you are out between resupplies determines how much of these items you need to carry. Water: 1 gallon per day per person. Two people for two days is 4 gallons minimum. Don't forget water is 8lbs per gallon, that's 32lbs just for water. First aide: buy a kit up to your level of knowledge. If you need only a small kit, think about investing in more knowledge. The point here is, your vehicle is just a tool to transport the things you need to survive. Figuring out what you need before figuring out how to carry it.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Glad you had a great time and looks like you put Roxxie through some good trial runs. Pin stripping, as we call bush marks on the side of the vehicle, is inevitable. Get the first scratch and the rest come easier. On my new Outback the first time I had her out a put some grind marks in the front air dam, such is life and her first marks were done.
My older 4x vehicles needed to be at a standstill before I could engage 4-hi or 4-lo so check with your owners manual and others with the same vehicle to see what is required.

RescueRangers has hit the high points of overlanding.
I will only add one thing about water, his recommendation of 1 gallon a day to me is a minimum. You are from the desert area and know how important water is for survival, especially in the summer. I raced motorcycles in the desert for 38 years and I could never have enough water to drink to stay hydrated. More will be required if you use the water for drinking, cleaning dishes and yourself but again at a cost of added weight.
On the first aid kit side I have a standard kit and have added pieces as I saw I needed. We all should carry meds and supplies we need personally as we each have medical needs that are specific to us (diabetic, allergies.......). And it is a good idea to let someone in the group know of these conditions incase they are required to be used in an emergency. I always carry a medical card I made up in my wallet with a personal history of meds I take regularly and any conditions to help first responders if needed in an accident or emergency.

Last edited:

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

New Question- :) (Since you all ROCK at information)

I thought somewhere I read that if you get a CB, have it installed professionally so they dont mess up the electronics....was that correct? Have any of you installed your own CB? I suppose I could google it, but would be very nervous of me messing up some computer chip on board.

Second question- would it be a great idea to get it ground/connected tot eh battery so your CB is always on? Like you dont have to turn your key on to get the CB to work? (You know what Im talking about?)

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
This is super easy to install. The biggest warning I will give you is don't tap into any computer wiring. For sake of clarity I would run straight to battery. It is just a positive and negative hook up. Don't key on the CB when it is on without the antenna connected. It will burn out the finals. You will need to decide you antenna connection, i.e. magnetic mount, drill a hole, use a mount. Match antenna and radio. I.e. don't buy a great radio and a junk antenna, or vice versa.

I have a couple good websites I'll post tonight when I'm home from work.

I was big in the CB scene when I was younger so I'm kinda nerdy in this area (well, a couple area's.)

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

This is super easy to install. The biggest warning I will give you is don't tap into any computer wiring. For sake of clarity I would run straight to battery. It is just a positive and negative hook up. Don't key on the CB when it is on without the antenna connected. It will burn out the finals. You will need to decide you antenna connection, i.e. magnetic mount, drill a hole, use a mount. Match antenna and radio. I.e. don't buy a great radio and a junk antenna, or vice versa.

I have a couple good websites I'll post tonight when I'm home from work.

I was big in the CB scene when I was younger so I'm kinda nerdy in this area (well, a couple area's.)

Let me know if there are any other questions.

OMG YES!!!!! I need help then!!! I would love to learn how to do it and think I can...just need a little help. Ill wait for your posting tonight....no worries if you get busy or whatever....
Got any suggestions on HOW or BEST way to mount?
I grew up on Firesticks and whips (complete with tennis balls).....but I dont want to look trashy...just classy.... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I installed mine in my 2017 Outback myself. Ran a hot lead from the battery to a fuse box under the drivers seat and the hot lead from it to the CB. No messing with existing circuits. Placed the unit under the dash above my feet and grounded it to the frame (mine is unibody, not a seperate body and frame). Just make sure you tune the antenna before operation for the best range. An SWR meter is cheap and east to use. I have one and I am sure others on this forum board do also.
Here is my unit and setup.
CB1.JPG CB2.JPG CB3.JPG CB4.JPG CB10.JPG Fuse Box.JPG unnamed-1.jpg

Last edited: