Looking for a way to heat up the tent with out propane, or electricity

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

been a concern of how to heat tent with out consumption of electric and lack of carbon monoxide
Was camped last week in the Eastern Sierras between 6-10k feet of elevation. We used the pop-top's heater on the cold nights. A friend was tenting it and she used good old fashion insulation. Cot, Insulated Ridgerest, Sleeping bag, backpacking air mattress, Mummy Bag, Wicking socks, Chemical toe warmers, wool socks, Longjohns, Large Chemical warmer (for back aches), and stocking cap.

She had no complaints and was a happy camper the whole week.

Boort

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Was camped last week in the Eastern Sierras between 6-10k feet of elevation. We used the pop-top's heater on the cold nights. A friend was tenting it and she used good old fashion insulation. Cot, Insulated Ridgerest, Sleeping bag, backpacking air mattress, Mummy Bag, Wicking socks, Chemical toe warmers, wool socks, Longjohns, Large Chemical warmer (for back aches), and stocking cap.

She had no complaints and was a happy camper the whole week.

Boort
I would feel trapped with all that stuff on and around me lol. Makes me grateful for the heater in the trailer. Although I am also a cold sleeper, I tend to like being on the cold side so generally I am good down to about 35 degrees or so with my sleeping bag before I begin to complain lol. the wife on the other hand not so much lol, there will be a pile o blankets below 50 lol.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@mylilpwny
I would feel trapped with all that stuff on and around me lol. Makes me grateful for the heater in the trailer. Although I am also a cold sleeper, I tend to like being on the cold side so generally I am good down to about 35 degrees or so with my sleeping bag before I begin to complain lol. the wife on the other hand not so much lol, there will be a pile o blankets below 50 lol.
I think that was only for the nights where it dropped to 11-15 Degrees, I'm sure she shed some layers the other nights.

I'm generally comfortable down to about freezing, but that seems to be changing. Not sure if it was my new sleeping bag this summer or me getting old. I got caught out, tenting it up in the Snowy Range of Wy. this Aug. Luckily a friend was joinging on Sat and was able to stop by the house and bring up my extra bag to keep me comfortable for the rest of the weekend.

Boort

Reactions: Captstout and Cpol

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

@mylilpwny

I think that was only for the nights where it dropped to 11-15 Degrees, I'm sure she shed some layers the other nights.

I'm generally comfortable down to about freezing, but that seems to be changing. Not sure if it was my new sleeping bag this summer or me getting old. I got caught out, tenting it up in the Snowy Range of Wy. this Aug. Luckily a friend was joinging on Sat and was able to stop by the house and bring up my extra bag to keep me comfortable for the rest of the weekend.

Boort
It might just be the bag. I have seen a trend the last couple years that even though it states say 30* bag really the comfort zone is in the 45*-55* zone and while it will keep you in theory safe you won't be comfortable.

Reactions: Boort and Cpol

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

It might just be the bag. I have seen a trend the last couple years that even though it states say 30* bag really the comfort zone is in the 45*-55* zone and while it will keep you in theory safe you won't be comfortable.
Yeah IIRC This bag was rated as a 3 season bag with a comfort zone between 18*-28*. The night in question should not have been that cold, likely near 35*. Might have to take the bag back and have a chat with the supplier about labeling.

Boort

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I've used the hot water bottle tucked into a thick sock tons of times and never had a leakage . the sleeping bag rating are the temp it will keep you alive not a comfort temp if your planning on being in freezing temps your better off with a -degree bag . laying a cheap 20$ sleeping bag under you will also help a lot with retaining heat .

Reactions: Cpol

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

also when storing your sleeping bags at home take them out of their stuff sack and store them loose . If bags are stored long-term stuffed inside their cinch sack they will actually lose Loft and then lose some of their heat rating.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Curious about your aversion to using a propane catalytic heater. We run a Coleman heater in the tent before bed to warm it up. With the RTT we use flannel sheets and down comforters and stay toasty on cold winter nights. Then we run the heater in the morning to take the chill out of the air. I also picked up an adapter hose that allows me to run the heater on a standard propane tank and not bother with the 1 lb tanks.

The key to staying warm in bed on a cold winter night is to wear as little clothing as possible to allow your body heat to radiate into the bedding. About all I wear on a cold winter night is a pair of wool socks and and beanie.

0D9AFFAF-C3CF-4B1C-9F6D-DE582BF95F4E.jpeg

Last edited:

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I use a catalytic propane heater. But I respect that not everyone is comfortable with that.

I think there is something DIY a person could do with a little creativity. Basically using a small propane burner and perhaps a loop of PEX tubing to run heated water in the tent/enclosure, but keep the heat source outside of the space. Many new tents of electrical line pass-throughs that would be ideal for running the tubing in/out of the tent. If the tubing had no connections inside of the tent, there would be no chance of leaking moisture. Also it would be a totally dry heat.

Someone could probably even repurpose some type of old radiator/heater core if they wanted more of the heat to make it into the tent. Or perhaps just buy a cheap transmission cooler to repurpose as a radiator.

I won't be trying to do this project, but it seems very cheap and doable with a little thought.

Reactions: Cpol

BlackBear

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Airdrie, AB
Member #

Curious about your aversion to using a propane catalytic heater. We run a Coleman heater in the tent before bed to warm it up. With the RTT we use flannel sheets and down comforters and stay toasty on cold winter nights. Then we run the heater in the morning to take the chill out of the air. I also picked up an adapter hose that allows me to run the heater on a standard propane tank and not bother with the 1 lb tanks.

The key to staying warm in bed on a cold winter night is to wear as little clothing as possible to allow your body heat to radiate into the bedding. About all I wear on a cold winter night is a pair of wool socks and and beanie.

View attachment 72885
I'm not sure about wearing as little clothing as possible? We do a lot of cold weather camping in ground tents and RTT... I find you must always change into dry sleeping clothes (Long-johns, long sleeve t-shirt, dry sock, toque), a good -30 or -40 sleeping bag. I have a buddy that uses a candle later in their RTT to take the bite out of the air. A hot water bottle in your sleeping bag works great as well. Also, try to set up amp out of the wind.

Attachments

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I'm not sure about wearing as little clothing as possible? We do a lot of cold weather camping in ground tents and RTT... I find you must always change into dry sleeping clothes (Long-johns, long sleeve t-shirt, dry sock, toque), a good -30 or -40 sleeping bag. I have a buddy that uses a candle later in their RTT to take the bite out of the air. A hot water bottle in your sleeping bag works great as well. Also, try to set up amp out of the wind.
It’s true. Just try it. When you’re wearing clothes, that slows and minimizes your body’s ability to radiate heat throughout the sleeping bag air space. I’ve slept halfway through the night in my dry clothes, in a sleeping bag in 40 degree weather, was completely miserable. Halfway through the night I stripped down to my socks, beanie and underwear and I warmed up in my sleeping bag within 10 minutes.

Todbasco

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bentonville, AR 72712
Member #

I think the stripping down thing is highly dependent on the bedding. When I was in the military I'd do that but I had a down bag rated to 20 below .... I'd sleep with a face mask on and keep my BDU's in the bag with me so they were warm the next morning. I've had my hammock down to 7 degrees but was layered in DRY clothes as my personal quilts are only rated to 20 degrees but they are good down quilts. Down boots help me a lot as my feet freeze. When I'm overlanding and tent camping I keep a carbon monoxide detector in my tent and run a Mr Heater Buddy.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
A quality tent will keep you 15-20 degrees warmer than the outside ambient temperature. This is most likely a 4 season tent(expedition desighn). As others have stated, a foam bed-layer will help a lot, more so than a air mattress. I have seen a acquaintance with a quality sleeping bag, complain about freezing with one. He ditched the air mattress, and was warmer without it. Older bags do seem to be rated closer to their comfort level, rather than newer bags. The use of new dry high tech thermals will help immensely without the bulk. But they have to be dry so moisture does not chill you when trying to sleep. The 2 areas where you will chill the most are your head and feet. A fresh pair of dry wool socks will go a long way towards sleeping warm. The other is a beanie, but i Find a Peruvian type with ear flaps and a chin tie strap will keep it in place during the night, better than the beanie.

You have to decide what level of warmth vs bulk is acceptable. The use of compact propane heaters have made it much easier. I am always afraid of tipping it over or pushing something up against it during the night so i have passed on them for now. I'm more old-school, but find it harder to ditch the comforts of a bed nowadays due to being older..

Reactions: MuckSavage

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

The no cost and no risk solution is to use your internal thermal generator - the human body. Make sure you have a hearty meal before going to bed and your body will generate heat naturally. The only challenge then is to contain the heat so it does not dissipate. The key heat loss opportunities are:

1. Most heat is lost from the head and neck due to high blood flow to the brain . . . so wear a beanie to bed.

2. A lot of heat is lost below because your body squashes the sleeping bag insulation and it loses it's ability to hold warmth. So an insulated, inflatable mattress below you is key - especially if you are sleeping on the ground or on a stretcher. Have a look at Thermarest, Exped or Sea to Summit who all make top quality, insulated mats.

3. Staying warm during the day is best done using layers, and the same process works at night. Thermal underwear, socks, gloves and beanie inside a quality sleeping bag and you should be toasty all night long. Have a look at the US MSS (Military Sleep System) - there were a lot on the second hand market at quite reasonable prices and they comprise three bags which can be used inside of each other. The duck's guts!

I spent a number of nights at 15,000 feet in the Himalayas at -20 C (about -4 Fahrenheit) and the only time I was cold was getting up in the middle of the night for a cat's hiss (that's rhyming Aussie slang for a wee).

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
A couple of blankets and a couple of willing females who will lay on you after vigorous activity prior to sleep will work well and meet your parameters, however that is not very likely for most of us so I'll just sitting what has been said.

Just kidding. Others have pretty much covered the options well.

Reactions: grubworm