Poowshaworety

Rank 0

Contributor I

Poop Creek, Oregon, USA
First Name
Speo
Last Name
Poowshaworety
Has anyone ever built a small coop for live chickens (maybe two) on an extended overland trip?
I have a tacoma with a 5ft bed.
I wouldn’t mind some fresh eggs each morning during a long trip.

I know this is a bit of a silly idea but it might be worth discussing.

If it wouldn’t work on a small truck, what about on a larger one?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You wouldn't really need a coop just 2 small cages. 12x12x12 wire cages would work they are easy but time consuming to make though due to all the cage clamps you'd have to crimp. Or go online an find some livestock cages pre made, the chicken doesn't even really need to stand up. The stress of traveling and being away from the home coop though Will likely cause the chicken to stop laying, possibly for the rest of the season.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

People sell farm fresh eggs all over the place and if you time your travels and errands with local farmer’s markets, you’ll still have fresh eggs routinely. Buying a dozen here and there from locals is better for everyone in the long run.

If you aren’t gone for a month at a time, our birds easily take care of themselves for up to two weeks.

Reactions: Kozysnack

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
yup - like Mad Crate builder says, they will shut down on you, no eggs, but - you do get the added bonus of dealing with loads of chicken sh$t everyday - so you have that going for you!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've kept dumb birds most my life. Chickens need quiet safe area to lay. They can become very tame. I gave me neighbor a fancy hen and it became house trained, acted like a dog following her around.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You could use ducks they stress alot less than chickens and lay just as many better tasting, larger eggs. The chickens I take to sell at auction always shut down, the ducks I take to auction usually have an egg in the cage by the time we get there. They would be a messier bird but are great layers.

Anytime my chickens see an opossum or coon they stop laying for a week or more after I've eliminated the threat, unless a critter gets ahold of the ducks the don't really care much.

You can make a duck a pet too they already try on their own when you hand raise em since you get imprinted as their parent.

Reactions: M Rose

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

Hey man, what you do on your own time, is none of my business.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Why bother. Eggs keep for 3-4 week in a fridge. I bet less than one in a thousand people on here will every be totally away from civilization for a month at a time. If so, you are going to be eating out of a can or sticking to beans and rice. Eggs do quite well at room temp for a week or better.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not to mention that every store in BFE has fresh eggs.

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
When we had chickens my dad explained it was eggs for breakfast or chicken for dinner - their call.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I forget what state it is down south but it is littering to leave anything on the side of the road, except chicken feathers. When transporting chickens, the stress causes them to lose feathers and it would be impossible to transport chickens for slaughter.