Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Check out the luminoodle, had it since it came out on Kickstarter. Amazon sells it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I'm old... I go to sleep when the sun goes down :tearsofjoy:

No need for lights and I actually prefer to allow my eyes to adjust to the night if I head out for a midnight pee, lol.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Made myself a set of electric goggles.

They started off as a gag because you could program the lights to do anything you want. (programmable RGB LEDs and a built in micro processor. Very geeky these) Then a buddy of mine told me he'd like a set if they could do white light. Well, yeah they can do white.. Really well!

Using them for blowing rust, rocks tar and other yuch out of the frame rails on my old truck. They worked amazingly well. I've not tried them for camping as yet. They do have rechargeable LiPo battery. USB charger built in etc.

Another friend testing them. Its hard to get a good picture when they are running.

-jim lee

peeewhyy

Rank 0

Traveler I

S. Cal
We mainly use head lamps in red mode with a few small accordion style solar led lanterns when in a well populated campgrounds just to put away food if we are in bear country.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Take look at a solar powered led lantern called a Lucy. I find the in Walmart and academy sports. Just put a them on your dash and they charge up. 8hrs on high and 12hrs on mid. They cost about 15.00 each. I use about 4 to 6.

Reactions: RickLB

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I have a few of these Snow Peaks. Mostly for in the tent, or over the table. They are adjustable in intensity and are very good on battery life. 2 fill our TNF Kaiju with enough light to read.

I still carry a couple brass candle lanterns, have had them for a really long time and they give me enough light to read by when I am siting at the table. Or have the warm glow of a fire when I am in places where they are banned (most of the places near me from now until september)

I may go take a look at these though. For around camp if I am planning to be there for a while they could be nice. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5049-812/Light-A-Life-QUAD

https://snowpeak.com/collections/lighting/products/mini-hozuki?variant=39784325135

LVCoffeeguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

North Las Vegas, Nevada
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Monson
Member #

We use the classic duel fuel Coleman lantern for while we are cooking along with headlamps. However, we use the Luminoodle Basecamp for our kitchen during after hours. It works great to keep it bright enough to be able to find something or refill a cocktail. It also seems to not attract as many bugs as some of the other non LED lights do. Not sure why that is.... We also have the smaller 6 foot Luminoodle in our rooftop tent. This is great because we just leave it up there and hook it up to a battery pack when we fold out our tent. It also has a dimming function for when you don't want your tent to be mistaken as a landing strip for an airplane.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

If we are setting up camp in the dark we just face the Jeep towards where we want our tent to go(currently looking for a rooftop tent so this will change things) and turn on our 52" LED Light bar till we have a fair amount of our gear set up then we pull out our Goal Zero YETI 150 battery pack and plug in a string of low amperage draw shatterproof outside string lights we bought from Lowes or Home Depot I can't recall, and that gives us plenty of ambient light to see and not be too much. For better visibility we have PTEC headstrap lights, for inside the tent we have the UST pop up lights which are great because it has 4 modes, 3 brightness level modes, an amber light mode. Whats really cool is when you turn it off the rubbery pop up material it's like a cone glows in the dark and last for hours so after we turn the light off to fall asleep it leaves enough light to not be completely in the dark but I'm sure to an extent it attracts critters even though our smell does that just fine lol. Attached is showing the string lights, one string is 28 ft long and depending on how we set up camp we either hang it from our awning or around the campsite. We use tree saver straps starting the string at the jeep while it's hooked up to the Goal Zero and run them to trees immediately surrounding our campsite, works really great in my opinion but really depends on how much light/visibility you want.

Attachments

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Like some have eluded to here, I am not a fan of blasting lights while camping. Even in everyday life I feel light sets the mood, and calm and relaxed does not come from a blue-white LED. I like the low glow of a Coleman Lantern hung on a shepherds hook on the outskirts of camp. For in camp I like the warm orange glow of light, be it from the fire or Edison Bulbs like Kyle & Kerri have above. Of course if I have to setup camp at night, it has to be the headlamp.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Luminoodle seem cool

Jim

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I have a 30,000 lumen light bar on my rig that works wonders for setting up. After I get set up I use my beloved Coleman Northstar lantern. These things can get incredibly bright and there is just something wonderful atleast to me about the sound and light that is produced by a Coleman lantern.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

When I'm planning to basecamp for some time I carry a trio of coleman dual fuel lanterns that I use nightly. In my FJ when traveling daily I have switched to 3 small rechargeable UCO pika lanterns that I can hang from my awning and that recharge from my USB ports in the back.