Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
We've made several adventures this year, and often pull into camp after dark. What's your strategy for lighting up camp, especially for setting up or tearing down?

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

I have a couple led lanterns I hang off branches around the edges of the site or under the awning once it's up. Those inexpensive "As seen on TV" kind you telescope so you can vary how much light is shown. I also carry a few Nite-Ize wire wraps if I need to add to the hangars.

Some small 4" pod lights on your roof rack might also be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I bring an led lantern and 1 or 2 Coleman dual fuel lanterns with extra mantles and an msr bottle with white gas. I like having the instant light from the led in case we set up late or just need a little light. I get the Coleman dual fuels at yard sales for $5-$10 over the years they don’t really wear out and if one gets broken it wouldn’t be a big deal to just grab another from the garage for the next trip. I saw some pretty cool led rope lights on amazon I’m considering for inside the awning. I never go without a led headlight, I rarely use a flashlight anymore since I’ve he headlights have gotten so good and are usually way more useful.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: TerryD and k9sar

Rizzo

Rank II

Enthusiast II

White Rock, BC, Canada
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Rissanen
Member #

A lot of great ideas in this thread. We use a combination of lantern, headlamp and flash light. I'm going to be re working my lighting situation as well. One thing I have added is a little solar powered light I got from Costco. I just zap strap it to the back of the rig and set it on auto so when you walk over it automatically comes on. Works
Pretty good.

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
Maybe not your total camp lighting setup, but I thought I would throw out a product I found that is useful. It's a LED lantern called CampGuard. It has a few different lighting levels and a built in motion detector. One setting allows for the light to trigger from motion, coupled with an audible alarm.

Since we camp pretty far off the beaten path, we were looking for something that might give us a few seconds "early warning" if anything decided to join us in camp without an invite. Used it the first two times set to just the motion light after we went up in the RTT for the night. Since we are up on the roof, I realized that the light wasn't really bright enough to wake us, but thought it would scare off a critter. On the third night, decided to flip on the motion with alarm before we went to bed just to see if it would be a nuisance going off all night with false alarms or would it be useful. About 1 am, alarm triggered and then went off (lasts for about 10 seconds). Heard something run off, but thought it was a raccoon or something. Waited for a second and it triggered again. Heard nothing. Started to drift back off to sleep after about 2 minutes of quiet. Then we hear a bear grunt and snort and growl about 30 yards off the drivers side door. Figured out that a bear had tried to come into camp off the back of the Jeep.. got spooked from the light and alarm, tried again. Probably frustrated, circled around to the drivers door and let us know he was not happy with our security measures. We started the Jeep with remote start and he ran off. Got home and ordered another for the front of the Jeep for 360 coverage. Happy with the purchase and the few seconds of early warning.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I picked up a magnetic mount LED work light at a show this year. Comes with a long coiled lead and cigarette plug... come in very hand a few times as it can be placed anywhere on the body of the rig and point in the needed direction.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We have LED flood lights front, side and rear of the roof rack so can light up the camp site to suit position. The cheap LEd strip lights on Ebay are good too, cheap enough to be disposable when they start failing, but light and compact enough not to be a burden on packing space.
Also got a couple of 12v LED lanterns with external power sockets and hook these up to a small (7 ahr) 12v battery in each tent. Goes without saying, LEd is the way forward - batteries last for days.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

In the past I've always used an old Coleman fuel lantern as a primary light source. The thing puts out an incredible amount of light and is especially nice when setting up camp at night.

When I put together my new rig with the trailer I made the decision to go completely electric. The trailer itself has quite a bit of lighting between the galley hatch lights and "porch lights". I also have 3 rechargeable led lanterns, 4 of those mini AA led flashlights with rechargeable batteries, an led headlamp and good an led Maglite 3 D cell. This combination of lighting works out well but I'd be lying if I didn't admit there have been times I wish I was still carrying that old Coleman lantern.

-Curtiss